Back in the day humans died of old age at 30. Now we die at 85

Back in the day humans died of old age at 30. Now we die at 85.
Does science truly know what makes you live long?

I have a simple theory: you live long if you don't live your life.
The more you laze around doing nothing, just relaxing and missing out on big moments of your life, the longer you'll live.
I'm a 35-year-old virgin, never tasted alcohol or tobacco, never kissed a girl, never had a job in my life. I look and feel much younger than all my peers who are already exhausted from work and having those 2 and a half meme babies you're supposed to have.

And it makes sense. If you experience everything at 19 years old and have 5 kids before you turn 26, you're bound to feel finished at 30. And if your brain feels like your life cycle is complete, it's more likely to shut itself down when you grow old. But if you're a 90-year-old virgin who still dreams like a teenager, your brain is constantly pushed to keep going until its goal is finished.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128110607000061
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lmao that's so stupid, in greece they lived well into their 60s and 70s (provided you survived childhood) and the meme that people lived until 30 was only true around the middle ages, and only if you were a european peasant
if anything what science really improved were childbirth conditions, but it didn't extend lifespans all that much

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128110607000061

No, it was false in the middle ages too.

>Now we die at 85.
american lifespans have been on the decline for years. you're lucky to live to see 75 these days.

the confusion comes because child mortality was very high up until modern times so the life expectancy dropped due to plenty of people dying at 6 or even during birth

but the fact is that even if people made it to 60 or so they were in far worse shape than your average modern 60 year old

OP, people lived well past their 30s in the past. It's a myth that people died so early back in the day, unless you were in the situation described. What science has improved in is infant mortality, which was a pretty big problem back in the day. If you were very young you had to make it past a hurdle of diseases, once you survived that you could make it to your 60s no problem.

Meant to reply to

source, only very few people really got old back in the day

Isn't it funny how despite all the accomplishments of medicine and science humans haven't achieved even a small increase in maximum lifespan?

Too bad about that. We need those high mortality rates to help keep the population sane and healthy.

Maybe not, but the quality of that lifespan has drastically increased in very short order, especially if you've been fortunate enough to live in the first world.

Didn't see you complaining about reduced child mortality rate 50 years ago

You can't tell if a child is worthy of life until they're able to walk and talk

People in the bible lived for hundreds and hundreds of years. What is this back in the day tardation.

Kys.

Humans are not sedentary beings, the more you sit around doing nothing experiencing nothing thinking nothing the worse and worse your health will become. Sex, work, exercise, thinking, doing any kind of activity, etc all have huge positive impact on a variety of health, look it up, you may look young but psychologically, emotionally, mentally, you are almost certainly a complete wreck

I know you need cope to justify your pathetic existence but in this case you literally just made yourself look stupid on top of pathetic

kys op

>humans died of old age at 30
You best be trolling.

exceptional post

Science has not made us genetically live longer. Since ancient times some people have been able to live until 70-80 provided they were healthy, and some others are able to live around 100 if they have the genetics for it and are otherwise healthy. What science has done is cure and control diseases that otherwise would be pretty fatal, so you have more healthy people living until their genetic lifespan allows them to.

It's not that strange if you think about the focus of medicine and biosciences. It's always about treating disorders that kill you young. Not many have undertaken the quest to defeat Ageing itself.

It sounds like you're just trying very hard to find a positive thing about your waste of life
Brainlets are funny

Why do whales live so long despite their tremendous size?

The secret lies in pressure.

People didn't die of old age back then.
They died of disease (especially babies and children, but adults weren't immune), poor nutrition, and overwork.

>You will never get to be 35 and not have a job and think everything will be fine
>You got burnt and started working as soon as you hit 18

At least I have the loud house general.

>Back in the day humans died of old age at 30
No they didnt, youre retarded