Religion is the opiate of the masses

>religion is the opiate of the masses

Why doesn't Marx get made fun of more for this quote?

>Why doesn't Marx get made fun of more for this quote?
Because there's so much else to make fun of him for

fpbp

/thread

Because there's nothing to make fun of in it. People quoting it now assume that opiate means something whole mind numbing and generally bad, which ignores any further nuances of the metaphor.

Because if you take the quote in context he was saying completely different from "lol christians r dumb, god dont real".

Snide remarks like these exclusively come from people who never read him.

Because it is absolutely true.

It takes away people's critical thought and all gets them into blind, pious obedience.

Religion slows progress. This is an objective empirical demonstrable fact.

Not reading Marx is like not reading an operating manual for a VCR

because he is right.

>It takes away people's critical thought and all gets them into blind, pious obedience.

That's not the point, you fucking retard.

>It takes away people's critical thought
1v1 Thomas Aquinas rn little bitch

Can't belief in equality also be considered a religion? I mean modern, rabid leftists hold egalitarianism as a religious ideal. It's where they derive all their meaning from.

The word you're looking for is "spook"

>The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.

>Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

>The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.

It's still a bit >tfw to smart for religion
and implying religion is ultimately bad

I disagree with it for the record, but its not as bad as it is paraphrased

It's not fedora atheism, he means that people are in duress and use religion to "numb the pain" i.e. it's an opiate.

you gotta read nietzsche my man

yes, just like progress, justice or morality.

t. nietzsche fan

Just like Nietzsche's philosophy itself.

>Not reading Marx is like not reading an operating manual for a VCR

I'm sure you'll have a brilliant critique to offer on that one aswell.

You think you understand it but there's so much shit beyond what's apparently there you'll end up looking like an absolute dolt whenever someone actually acquainted with it shows up?

I can think of no situation in which I'd be embarrassed that somebody knows more about a VCR than I do

Yes it is.