I want to start a pizza shop. Bbefore that I need to know the basics of pizza

I want to start a pizza shop. Bbefore that I need to know the basics of pizza.

Things I want to learn about:
1. Choosing a pizza dough press machine
2. Choosing a conveyor belt oven
3. What to do with ingredients that aren't used each day (and ingredients inventory management in general I guess)

Pic related, I don't want my pizzas to look like these

Other urls found in this thread:

pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
pizzatoday.com/
pmq.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=whnvQBhXh3A
pizzadelperronegro.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is pizza technically a soup?

Have you worked at a family pizza shop? Or even a Chain pizza shop? If not then you probably shouldn't open up a pizza place.
Also good pizza is hand made, and is cooked in a brick, wood oven(I like oak but maple is just as good too)

I am a fat man. I have eaten at many pizza places. The busiest ones seem to do best with a conveyor belt oven.

I will handmake the pizzas. As far as I know I will make the dough by hand. Just use the dough press to flatten it out and save a few minutes. All ingredients will be put on by hand. Not pre-bought or something.

>Dough press machine
It's called a sheeter. And yeah, they'll save you a few minutes. MINUTES. The process of mixing the dough, especially if you need to make enough dough for 50 or 60 pies, takes HOURS to do by hand. Better off to use an industrial stand mixer (like a kitchen aid, but so big it takes a pallet jack to move it and it's often bolted to the floor) so you can have time to actually prep the rest of the ingredients which will also take hours.

Conveyor ovens are most effecient, but coke-fired or even wood-fired, brick pizza ovens often provide a better texture to the finished crust.

Please, PLEASE do not open a restaurant if you have no prior experience in the industry and don't have a clear idea of what you're doing. You will ruin your life.

>1. Choosing a pizza dough press machine
Just git good with hand tossing them and do it in a place where the customers can see you. It will make them feel like your pizza tastes better because mah tradition but its actually quite easy and only takes a minute. If you absolutely must use a machine then get a bench dough roller. You just flatten the dough a bit with a rolling pin and run it through the machine with some flour and then flip it and turn 90º and run it through again and done.

>2. Choosing a conveyor belt oven
Do not do this. Get a pizza oven instead or if you really want to be fancy a wood oven. You see places use these a lot because they are high volume which means they sell cheap garbage to lots of people. If you want quality get a real oven.

>3. What to do with ingredients that aren't used each day (and ingredients inventory management in general I guess)
You use them the next day. If you have stuff going bad then you order less of it next time.

Is a hot dog techincally a juice?

Anything can be a juice if you're brave enough

First off you should probably work at a pizzeria for awhile before spending as much money as you're gonna spend in opening a shop. From what I'm seeing, it seems you like eating pizza, but idk if you like living pizza. It's one thing to dream about opening a store, it's another to see those dreams followed through and then living in said dream. Make sure it's something you feel like doing for years to come or it won't be worth it, financially or mentally.

Next, I feel like a dough press is a huge waste of money. I don't even know why you would wanna buy one, they're like $800 for something you can literally do by hand. I currently work at a bar and we don't bother with one. Granted it's not super high volume, but our half off pizza days get pretty nuts and we still don't use one. I've worked at places that are only carryout and delivery and they never bothered either. Don't replace something a person can do in a minute with an $800 machine. I feel like if you buy one, the pizza's are gonna look like pic related.

I second these sentiments, buy a stand mixer. Only a masochist would wanna hand stretch that much dough.

Thanks. Didn't know the term sheeter. Are they all generally good?

Does a pizza shop generally only sell 50-60 in a night?

I'll look into this industrial stand mixer

I'm not opening it today. No, I haven't worked in one. But I'm trying to get a clear idea of what I'm doing. I will have everything written down in clear plans. Might take me a year to write it all down I think. I would be too embarrassed to work in someone's pizza shop...

Fair enough, thanks. I don't think my customers will care too much about oven type. I will have aesthetic pizzas.

One minute x number of pizzas each day x 360 days in a year that I would like to be open would pay for itself multiple times over though?

Are there any other large pieces of equipment besides the oven, sheeter/press, stand mixer?

OP I'll point you to these resources (especially the first one if you're serious in the Equipment & Shop Talk subsection):
pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
pizzatoday.com/
pmq.com/

>Are there any other large pieces of equipment besides the oven, sheeter/press, stand mixer?
Not really just your pizza pans, steels or stones (studies say a steel is best), and pizza peel. What kind of pizza styles are you interested in specializing in for your parlor? Thin New Haven/New York-style, medium Big Chian/Sicilian/Grandma-style, or thicc Detriot/Chicago-style?

>What to do with ingredients that aren't used each day (and ingredients inventory management in general I guess)
"Daily special" Pies to clear out old perishable stock. Also strombolis & calzones.
Good luck.

Thank you for the links, much appreciated.

I'd be going for thin pizzas. I am not in America and don't know anyone that enjoys thicker crusts.

As for extra ingredients, thought about sending workers home with a pizza, but didn't think about calzones or strombolis for that. Thanks.

Does anyone have a good recipe for pizza dough?

Do you accept rubles

Worked at papa johns and made dough (QCC)
Standard dough contains, (measurements depend on volume)

>yeast (the maths)
>sugar (a fair bit)
>salt (some)
>warm water (much)
> FLOUR

Oh yeah, and all the oil.

dunno how good this is but this guy does alot of pizza tv for munchies youtube.com/watch?v=whnvQBhXh3A

As a person whos worked and mom and pop and chain. This is truth. I remember at times coming in four to five hours before opening to get the dough, sauce, and everything ready by myself before opening. It takes time.

>is cooked in a brick

Calling all spidey's

No pizza shops allowed ITT

KEK

I'm autistic but I want to make a pizza for a girl I really like like. Idk how to tell her I love her because I'm autistic so I try to make her food and hope she gets the message. I made her pic related. Is it plausible for someone to just make a pizza in a regular oven with mundane kitchen equipment? I also wanna make her a pie

This should help

Get In here

Check 'em

Holy shit fucken DUBs

Look up recipes for a homemade pan pizza senpai. You can get creative with the toppings as well--perhaps something not readily available at your average restaurant. General Tso's pizza is good for something you can't find at your normal pizza place. Desu.

You're getting shit for Christmas

user please I'm not a faggot I love this girl and I've never felt this urge before but now I have the huge urge to make her tasty food

thank you user. she likes peperoni and chorizo and that kind of sausage in general so I'll try to make her something meaty.

>thank you user. she likes peperoni and chorizo and that kind of sausage in general so I'll try to make her something meaty.
A chorizo pizza could be delicious! Chorizo has a good deal of cumin, paprika, garlic, and chile flavors, and could be a solitary topping and be quite good alone. But, I'd make mine with poblano strips for the green peppers and crunch. Some roasted onion and corn, sprinkle of fresh cilantro leaves and some queso fresco on top for that freshness and salty goodness like feta.

Check out this top mexican pizzeria for ideas on how pizza combinations have been "mexicanized".
The have one with this topping combination (Frijoles, Chorizo, Jitomate, Cebolla, Jalapeño, Tocino y Aguacate)
pizzadelperronegro.com/

I'm not sure how many unconventional ingredients I could find in my little podunk seaside town, but I'll do my best to make the pizza noteworthy. I'm Portuguese myself so maybe I'd be able to get my mum to send me something nice. I'm not sure if she's tried Portuguese chorizo but it's not that different.

Thank you very much for all of your help user, I really appreciate it.

>I'm not sure how many unconventional ingredients I could find in my little podunk seaside town

All of them. You have mail-order.

Speaking from experience if you practice tossing and hand stretching dough it will be faster than almost any press that would not only consume power but take up unnecessary space.

>tfw some newfag is trying to bring shit /b/ spam memes back from the grave

do this, it will also taste better.

I've heard that you should try to buy an oven that has been used in a pizza shop already. it becomes more "seasoned" every day and will taste way different than a never used oven.

your third point about everyday ingredients, you don't need to worry about that part. you'll use all your ingredients daily. as for inventory, DO NOT buy frozen peppers and onions or any other pizza toppings frozen and don't use canned mushrooms. DO buy quality pepperoni. to make quick work of cutting ingredients, get a french fry cutter and you can breeze through that. your produce/product inventory will just have to be learned as you go. just get a pepper/onion and cut it up and see how many pizzas can be made with it and do some math about expected sales

If I was ordering pizza I would expect my local joint to serve wings too. get a fryer

>kitchen aid

I think you mean Hobart.

You sound like a faggot to me

>Have you worked in a pizza shop?
>no but i'm fat

Fat men aren't allowed to have businesses?
Only kale and quinoa skinny soy latte's can?

conveyor belt oven, just build a brick oven mate its the best.

ohh, then go and work in a pizza place fist, get some exp, better make some money form it and not be completely in the blind.

ITT: People who know nothing about owning and operating a food service business help ruin OP's dream of owning a successful pizza joint.