Use of feminine pronoun in STEM papers

What is your stance on using feminine pronouns in STEM papers? I do not want to exclude anyone and use gender-inclusive language.

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/third-person-gender-neutral-pronoun-thon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_women's_legal_rights_(other_than_voting)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Fisher_(grammarian)#Work_on_English_grammar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

just use they for everything lmaoo

Refer to the reader and shut the fuck up. Or use he and clear in the intro that it's both he/she

Generally just refer to people by name in my experience.

Why are you even using first person in a stem paper

Call everyone a faggot

It doesn't matter, the reader is dumb. "Fuck the fans" - keemstar

Why would you use feminine pronouns? Just use neutral ones. Fucking Americans

Use “thon,” blow fucking minds.

merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/third-person-gender-neutral-pronoun-thon

Michael Spivak used xem, xheir, etc.. in his TeX book and no one batted an eye. Nowadays some nobody uses it in a blog post and everyone loses their goddamn minds about how it's a form of oppression against straight men.

This is getting ridiculous. Shit like pic related is happening at HARVARD today. People are getting taught that there no facts and truth, only opinions and the ones that don't fit the kike propaganda are false and offensive. There are "safe zones" ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He did not use xem, xheir, etc. but e, em, eir, etc.
Also mathematicians might not have bought his book, but instead have learnt TeX from Knuth's book, or by looking at other mathematicians TeX code / tutorials. Indeed, nowadays most would use LaTeX rather than AMSTeX. Or they might have not read the first page and thought e was a typo for he.

>e, em, eir, etc.
You're right. Just didn't want to dig up the pdf.

>Also mathematicians might not have bought his book, but instead have learnt TeX from Knuth's book, or by looking at other mathematicians TeX code / tutorials.
Spivak was part of a group of people who (with AMS backing) moved into a house on Stanford's campus with the task of learning TeX and writing a guide for it (with the goal of making the language more accessible to the general public) while also helping Barbara Beeton solve AMS problems. Through their work they developed AMS-TeX which is a format for the TeX engine (Spivak is credited but others including Beeton contributed to the code and the book).
>Note: The TeX programming language has a macro system (hence: macro language). Really big macros that added lots of functionality to TeX were often compiled right into the engine and distributed as a separate binary. Such macros were called a "format", other formats in modern use include ConTeX and Lamport TeX (better known as LaTeX).
Spivak's Joy of TeX was the manual for AMS-TeX as well as a book for introducing TeX through AMS-TeX simpler interface (a few other TeX books existed at the time, but this book was fairly popular). Also the book was modeled after the Joy of Sex even up to the chapter names. Saying it wasn't popular is kind of silly considering that it was the introductory text for a lot of people and the AMS were heavily invested in popularizing it (they were afraid that if it didn't catch on then they would be fucked because they'd invested so much into it, and also they thought it was great).

cont.

>Indeed, nowadays most would use LaTeX rather than AMSTeX.
Actually most people use AMS-LaTeX, which is LaTeX + AMS macro packages (the AMS macro packages just add AMS-TeX functionality and fixes to LaTeX). It's so standard that most guides don't even bother calling it AMS-LaTeX, instead they just tell the user to load the packages and give a blurb saying it will make their code behave better and give better output.

>Or they might have not read the first page and thought e was a typo for he.
This has to be b8.

Masculine pronouns are gender inclusive pronouns (man, mankind, postman...) and they have been for at least 1000 years. They stopped teaching this for some reason.

>Masculine pronouns are gender inclusive pronouns (man, mankind, postman...) and they have been for at least 1000 years.
lmao, are you retarded? "Man" was more often than not, not gender inclusive and this was very important when dealing with legal and social matters like women not being allowed to vote or own land. See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_women's_legal_rights_(other_than_voting)
Many of the professional terms referred to professions that only men could have. That claim would be a stretch for even 100 years.

If you're referring to the use of the term "he" to refer to both men and women, that only became a thing in the 1700s when the British Grammarist Ann Fisher said it should (ironically the first female author on English grammar).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Fisher_(grammarian)#Work_on_English_grammar

Use of singular "they" on the other hand goes back to 13th century Middle English.

>They stopped teaching this for some reason.
How embarassing for you, trying to sound patronizing while making retarded claims.

You shouldn't use any third person pronouns at all. Almost always you can pluralize the referenced word and use "they". Otherwise go with the default inclusive pronouns, which are the masculine ones in English.

>first person
>gendered
Brainlet.

Write it in Latin and tip your fedora away.

If you think scientific facts aren't social constructs, you don't know how the scientific method works.

Not him, but when retards use those words they are saying that there is no reason to think science has any special value in epistemology and the construction of models using empirical evidence and math are just a bunch of shit that came to be because of social pressures and what not. And while the act of doing science is very prone to be influenced by political, the models usually end up winning in the long run. As to if there is anything such as an objective truth that can be described with mathematics? That's epistemology and I can make ad many bold claims as I want and they all fit science equally. Yea from positivism to critical theory.

What if he's writing in Japanese?

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

My stance is I don't care and it won't change anything.

Don't use any pronouns. If you have to a gender neutral one would be best because fuck inserting someones personal identity into a paper.

Go back to Tumblr, please.

Don't use gendered pronouns in STEM.

Thats bullshit. All throughout the KJV it uses "man" interchangeably with "people", as in "God created man on the 6th day".
Furthermore, it's long been considered incorrect to use they as a singular pronoun. This is a frustrating recent development in English that dictionaries are beginning to accept.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
This is my favorite meme, gets me everytime

maybe if you stopped being such an entitled pussy, you'd be living a happy life

>Not using "meman"

Superior option

>KJV

I'm talking about "man", not about "he". You are wrong. Accept it. Let the butthurt flow through you.

I'm developing a new ebook format that lets you enter your name/pronouns like a videogame. Problem solved.