Fuck man, is learning to read moonrunes worth it?

Fuck man, is learning to read moonrunes worth it?

I want to experience the world in a new way.

Other urls found in this thread:

djtguide.neocities.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

depends. do you want to learn it?
then yes.
If you just want to experience the world in a new way and don't actually give a shit about the language, then find something easier.

Probably not worth your time if it's just a passing curiosity.

Learning enough kanji to be literate is such a gargantuan task that I wouldn't try it unless you had some real interest in Japanese literature

i have interest in dem super robot cartoons

>Learning enough kanji to be literate is such a gargantuan task

I know that the number of kanji a Japanese native is supposed to know at the end of high school is just 2000.

Books that use kanji not in this list of 2000 must list them in a glossary at the end.

Learning 2000 kanji can be done in just a couple of months with Anki.

I do it just for the fun of it, being an autist. Though reading manga is also a motivation for me. If you are neither an autist nor a weeb, it's not really worth it.

>I know that the number of kanji a Japanese native is supposed to know at the end of high school is just 2000.
This is so weird. It really proves how the language is purely elitist. How fuckin' weird.
That's what Hiragana and Katakana are for, tho.

The problem with japanese is, it has shitloads of words that sound the same but mean different things and are written with different kanji. The phonetic writing system would not be able to account for it, so they are kinda stuck with the kanji.

>Books that use kanji not in this list of 2000 must list them in a glossary at the end.

Blatantly false, you dunce.

Yes, it helps greatly in understanding how cultures explain natural phenomena and concepts (the use of radicals in kanji is a good way to see this) and as such helps you engage with your mother tongue. I also suggest Latin to get an idea of root words.

I don't think this is necessarily true, Japanese is also a highly context-specific language, both whether oral or written, and spoken Japanese is perfectly intelligible despite many phonemes and words sounding identical, because the context clarifies it. There is less context when you write something down, but it should still be enough to figure out what someone is saying. Just look at Korean, which has roughly the same grammar as Japanese, a limited (but not quite as limited) number of phonemes, and uses a phonetic alphabet.

If your only motivation is 'experiencing the world in a new way', then no. There are plenty of easier languages, and lots of other ways to experience the world in a new way.

>If you just want to experience the world in a new way
>find something easier

What's the problem, user?

It pays off if you are a weeb.

Learning a language as complex as japanese is a commitment. If you're motivations are as wishi-washi as "I want to experience something new" then you're probably not going to go through with it anyway. There are a lot of interesting cultures and languages and experiences that don't require years of commitment to enjoy. Buy a couple for dummies books and go on vacation to osaka. Go hiking or ice fishing. Go to museums. You can always learn the language, but you have to want to actually learn the language.

In the time it takes to learn Japanese you can learn French, Spanish, Italian, and German.

You cannot learn japanese djtguide.neocities.org/

>lots of other ways to experience the world in a new way
Such as?

All languages have those things (even in Japanese has more than their fair share of them), but there's this thing called context that enables you to infer the meaning of a word. Seriously, kanji is so incredibly unnecessary most of the time it's not even funny.

as a monolingual pleb japanese baffles me.

is there an equivalent site for french? Ive been doing duolingo...apparently im 50% fluent after a couple weeks

Duolingo is a scam for nu males that rather want to be told that they're fluent than actually being fluent. To learn any language (French or Moonrunes ) just learn vocabulary, grammar and read books in that language, start with easier ones like The little Prince and other Children's books and then read more difficult books.

I speak 4 languages fluently and can discuss complex things in them. Duolingo will only teach you how to have very basic conversations.

Duolingo is a great beginner resource.

What you do is power through the entire course in like a week or two to get a feel for sentence structure and grammar, then move onto other materials. Textbooks will now be less daunting as you have a smattering of vocabulary. Best thing to do is order a couple of well reviewed textbooks and low level novels to read, then power through Duolingo as fast as possible. You can keep going back for vocab, but its usefulness is limited compared to something you can jump ahead in like Anki or memrise