There's a cooking competition at my work right now for a pretty large pot...

There's a cooking competition at my work right now for a pretty large pot. The competition is to make some variation of eggs benedict, consisting of a bread, meat, a poached egg, and some kind of hollandaise. My idea was to have a steak with bearnaise over a rye or sourdough bread. Any advice would be appreciated but my main questions are what cut of meat I should use and what bread pairing would be good. I intend to make everything my self and I have a week to prepare, so no breads that need 20 year old starters please.

Other urls found in this thread:

smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How about thinly sliced lox for the meat on a flatbread like lavash with a dill baised bernaise? I've got a simple recipe for lavash that only takes a short time to make. Also you can make your own lox in 24-48 hours by using a salt/sugar rub. If that sounds interesting to you I could post the recipes.

Sounds very Jewey user, go ahead and post it and I'll see if it's something I'd be interested in. I've never made lox before so I guess this would be a good learning experience too.

Porchetta Benedict.
>good, rustic Italian bread
>slow roasted porchetta, nice and tender
>poached egg
>roasted red pepper hollandaise
>a little lemon oil dressed arugula on the side to balance the richness

avocado garlic aioli

haggis fritter

whisky and ginger sauce

neep and tattie scone

thank me later

>jewey

Were not any of those in my ancestors' woodpiles that I know about. At any rate, I use this recipe for the lox. It doesn't have to be smoked and will still turn out excellent. If you don't cold smoke it you can probably leave out the sodium nitrite.

smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442

Sesame Lavash

14 oz AP flour
1 tsp salt
1 TBS toasted sesame seeds
2 TBS melted unsalted butter
1 egg beaten
2/3 cups water

Mix 1st 3 ingredients then combine with last 3 until forms a ball. Knead a few minutes. Let rest 30 minutes. Roll out as flat as you'd like (I usually roll out strips to setting 4 on my pasta roller and it's almost more like a cracker. For your application you probably want it thicker, so maybe 1/8-1/4" thickness). Place on cookie sheets and bake at 375F until lightly golden brown. Pic is rolled thin.

Depends on what the line of business is

i hope by steak you mean thinly shaved steak, because a steak on a bun with bernaise really is not eggs benedict.
i would probably replace the meat with meaty mushrooms, chopped roughly, and add crispy thyme on top of the hollandaise

I have to ask

Do you work at a restaurant or is it just a random office job with a cooking competition

The best benedict variation I've ever had is crab cakes benedict

Smoked brisket benedict on buttermilk biscuit with a chipotle lime hollandaise and red cabbage bbq sauce.

Everyone does a crab cake bennie though.

oh look, americans making an oversweet excessively sauced monstrosity in the name of fusion, how surprising

Restaurant

Do americans really put their garden furniture in the road?

Idk about the rye. I'd go with another bread, something buttery. People like decadence and no one is counting calories in a competition.

That looks disgusting. Like somebody's puss and blood blew out all over their food.

So now that I've thought it out op here would be my steak Benedict
>Rare prime rib shaved paper thin so it a butter knife could slice through it and it melts in your mouth
>A poached eggs
>With a gruyere or Gouda mushroom and onions Benedict
>On a biscuit so layerey, buttery, and crispy it could be mistaken for French pastry.

I should mention that shaved prime rib should be piled high.

I should mention that shaved prime rib should be piled high.

And I meant to say Hollandaise instead of Benedict again.

Eggs Forrest
2 steamed eggs resting on a bed of bacon, cornbread, and topped with pan gravy, green onion, and served with fresh tomato.

Separate the white and yolk
Add fresh chives, ground pepper, and shredded smoked Gouda to the white and mix gently so as to not create froth/bubbles
Line a bowl with a sheet of plastic wrap, spray with olive oil
Put in just under half the white mix, add the yolk, pour the rest of the white mix over it
Use the plastic wrap to make a pouch for the egg, seal with a twist tie
Poach in the bag

For the meat portion do a very thin sage, red pepper, and fennel sausage patty. Panfry in butter.

Toasted rye or sourdough with a thin spread of compound parsley butter and a very small amount of salt.

Assemble, hollandaise over the top, maybe a little white pepper and a pinch of smoked paprika slightly off center of the egg

>Smoked gouda

Corned Beef Benedict.

Use one of those ring forms to make a patty of potato hash, and fry it crisp on both sides. Fry the corned beef and onions, and top the patty. Fried egg, over easy over that. Then, hollandaise with relish, ketchup, and mustard powder in it over that.

that's what I'd submit.

Just for you

Scramble three eggs, cook on highest heat setting until brown and dry
Melt Velveeta over the mass
Uncan a block of Spam, slice it thin and fry it
Toast 4 slices of supermarket white bread
Assemble
No hollandaise necessary, there's more melted Velveeta where that came from

That actually is better. At least it's not pretending to be fancy.

It's a restaurant cooking competition, you literal nigger pleb.

>Smoked Gouda
>Fancy

But at least it's honest. The other is just larping that it's fancy. I mean I would do neither just so we're straight.

>Irony
>Not even getting it a bit

First, LARPing does not mean what you seem to think it means. The word you're looking for is pretending.
Second, smoked Gouda is available in any and every grocery store, down to fucking ALDI. It's not something that needs to be special ordered from a cheesemonger 4 cities over. It happens to be delicious with eggs, which is why I suggested it.
Last, not all nice things are a scam. If you hunt around for bargains and sales you'll be able to try some "fancy" (note: not actually fancy) food with your EBT if you manage to not spend it all on hot cheese curls and grape drank.

Yes. Larping means pretending. Smoked Gouda is not nice cheese. It's the same thing as block Jack or cheddar. You are such a pleb that you didn't realize I was dissing your incredibly plebian choice in cheese the entire time. Smoked "Gouda" isn't even Gouda. It's American produced washed curd bulk cheese. Lemme give you a hint if you can find it in any grocery store it isn't nice cheese.

>happens to be delicious with eggs
I didn't realize you're American and all your cheese is the same thing in different packaging.
I guess you'll actually have to track down a cheesemonger, then.

You see the reason why smoked Gouda is fedora tier is that, like the way a fedora wearer thinks a gas station hat really spruces up his t-shirt, you think a chunk of cheese that cost $5.99 lb will impress a professional restaurant staff. Go lurk the cheese thread son.

Damn. I though you were American, that's sad user. Up your game and get some year old beemster. My countrymen I understand, but aEuropean? That's sad desu.

not him but you can't fucking taste the food through your computer screen, can you? you don't know how sweet it is. also, stay obsessed

Too overpowering for the dish, in my opinion.

I had a hot chicken benedict once that was pretty memorable.

>Nashville style hot chicken
>Waffles instead of English muffin
>poached eggs
>maple aioli/hollandaise whatever

It was super fucking good and would definitely be memey enough to stand out to a bunch of average people if you did it right

It's called portioning you mong. You don't drop a whole piece of beemster in a sauce the same way you don't eat truffles by the slice.

You're either going to use so little it's imperceptible or just over that amount and taste nothing else. If it was beans on toast with a fried egg on it go for broke, but otherwise....

OP, Make beans on toast with beemster and a fried egg.

Yes

Lol
>It's either too little or too much
Ah I see we can either add a pinch of grated cheese or two fistfuls. Goddamn why are bongs so stupid. This is why you are the most mocked culinary tradition in Europe

lol stupid pleb, gtfo here with your fedora-core beemster. we aren't gonna tip the eggs benedict at m'ladies.

you should up your game and get some stracchino, peasant ass bitch

There's a lot coming together all at once in eggs benedict and beemster doesn't play nice.

>most mocked culinary tradition in Europe
>Comeptition is prissy frog dickdrips, kraut and beer, and the spai*ish
I'm almost happy the pakis and asians are taking over.

I was trying to give our britbong user a nice entry level step up from his smoked "Gouda" you don't want scare him away too early user. Flavors clearly frighten him.

I've actually made that at my work before, as a weekend special. Sold the everloving shit out of it, too. The eggs and hollandaise is a nice foil for the spicy ass Nashville chicken. I served it on waffles that were made with both flour and cornmeal, and buttermilk, of course. Used bacon fat instead of butter in the batter as well.

>brisket benedict on buttermilk biscuit with a chipotle lime hollandaise and red cabbage bbq sauce.

i know how sweet it is you thick-necked wobble goblin

Heh, you're absolutely fucked, Jeff.

>Puff pastry dough cut in a circle like an English muffin, slice in half, brush with garlic rosemary olive oil, toast
>Beef cheeks braised in dry red wine; make the braising liquid flavorful with bacon, mirepoix, garlic, bay leaf, ancho chile, thyme
>Pickled shallot rings, semi-generous heap
>Poached eggs
>Garlic chive bearnaise

uma delicia

Wonder bread base toasted but dry, topped with a slice of fried bologna. On top of that isnt a poached egg but half an overboiled pickled egg. Top it off with great value mayonaise and a sprig of parsley for garnish.

>Larping means pretending.
GET OUT RRREEEEEEE

this looks good as hell, what sauce is that on the top?

>Live Action Role Play
Really getting my noggin joggin

That sounds really good, OP. You're cutting it close with the sourdough but it's doable unless you are already keeping the starter but I'd say that's your best bread choice. I wouldn't do hollandaise over bearnaise though personally.

white bread, frozen chicken tendies and a ketchup Bearnaise