I have come to the conclusion that frying raw potatoes in oil slowly produces vastly superior results to par-boiling...

I have come to the conclusion that frying raw potatoes in oil slowly produces vastly superior results to par-boiling them first. Your thoughts?

It it works for you.

>use a hard variety of potato
>peel
>cook all the way through
>keep in the fridge for a day
>fry in lots of butter
Good homefries have little moisture, That's why you need to let them dry. I guess it was originally a leftover recipe.

It's a matter of taste and also of the sort of potato, but I generally prefer to partially or fully pressure cook potatoes first and only occasionally fry raw potatoes.

(I'm sure a non-pressurized steamer / rice cooker or whatever would also be fairly okay, but it wastes time and probably energy).

That is a thing. Some people recommend making fries by putting the potatoes in the deep fryer at room temperature and then turning it on, rather than the more traditional double-fry.

I've experimented with it and while the "fry from cold" method does work, nothing beats par-boiling plus double frying.

>Cut russet potatoes into eights
>If you want breakfast style, finely chop some bell peppers, maybe some onion as well.
>Toss with oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder
>Lay out on foil lined baking sheet
>Bake in oven
>Enjoy delicious crispy potatoes with any meal.

Using oil to fry or bake potatoes always tastes better than boiling them.

>Using oil to fry or bake potatoes always tastes better than boiling them.

Yes. But par-boiling before frying is an important step if you really want the best possible crunch.

>>oven
why bother? Deep frying is faster and produces superior results.

By the way, *boiling* potatoes in water is generally shit.
Same as with rice, only few potato-based dishes ever benefit from doing that - pretty much only those where you want the taste from other ingredients to evenly transfer to the potatoes, really.

Basically alyways use a pressurized cooking method, preferably with regulated pressure such as a pressure cooker pan, pressurized steamer, pressurized rice cooker...

Or, in this case: par-boiling the potatoes prior to frying them dissolves the starch from the outer layer of the potato. This leaves the surface rough on a microscopic level. And that means you get a better crispy texture when you finish the dish by frying the potatoes.

>Russet
Fuck, I meant the small red potatoes.

>Yes. But par-boiling before frying is an important step if you really want the best possible crunch.
Eh, I wouldn't say it's necessary for all circumstances. What I listed before, correcting russet to small red, have a perfect crunch with no par boiling.

>why bother? Deep frying is faster and produces superior results.
Uses less oil, cleaner, and easier to clean up. I'd rather do the prep work and then put in in the oven and forget about it while I make other breakfast food than spend the attention frying them.

>slowly

you got that right. it takes fucking forever if you don't parboil.

I microwave them, cut them hot, let them cool, then fry. Super crispy.

I tried those FoodWishes microwave+fry potatoes and they tasted just as good as deep fry, + there was no leftover oil at all.

This. Also this works great for french fries. Cook them at a full on rolling boil until tender through and the outer layer will get kind of 'ragged'. Let the potatoes cool and dry well, preferably overnight in the fridge, then double fry as normal. You get a great crispy shell and nice tender fluffy potato inside.

Not interesting in general. After all, you didn't turn the starch into a coating of watery slimey goo in the first place, and you have oil anyhow.

Even pretty starchy potatoes should fry nicely. And if you don't like the starchiest potatoes, maybe just don't use them?

Thanks 4 tip? How do you cook through? Bake, boil?

I usually boil more potatoes than i need during a meal. Then it's homefries the next day.

I will try that user. Bell peppers, onions, what else?

Doesn't matter what kind of potatoes you use, you'll get a better crispy texture on the exterior if you parboil them first. Same applies to oven-roasted potatoes: parboil 'em, shake them in the colander to rough up the exterior even more, then either double-fry or use the "fry from cold" method OP mentioned.

Also a good idea for smaller batches once you get the hang of it.

>Thanks 4 tip? How do you cook through? Bake, boil?

You fry them, user. That's why they're called "home fries". Because they're fried.

No, the texture is not better when parboiled, neither is the taste.

Do you even cook with an useful steam cooking device (you know, some control over pressure and heat), or are you just going the burger route and comment that your method must be better without having done either many dozens to hundreds of times?

>Do you even cook with an useful steam cooking device

Sure, I have an Asian stack-style steamer, as well as two pressure cookers. A small one I use for general cooking, and a very large one I use for canning and making stock.

I'm not really sure why we're talking about those though. This is a thread about fried potatoes, so I fail to see how steaming is relevant here.

I've tried numerous variations upon frying because I really like potatoes which are crispy on the outside and soft and tender in the center. I've experimented with frying at one temp, the commonly discussed double-frying method, as well as parboiling and steaming before both of those methods. I even went so far as to try the method discussed in Modernist Cuisine involving an ultrasonic cleaner (which I own for work).

I found that the parboiling step makes for much crispier fries (or oven-roasted spuds). The ultrasonic method was slightly better but not enough to be worth the hassle. Steaming vs. parboiling was indistinguishable, but I normally go the parboiling route because it's less work to clean a normal saucepan than it is a steamer.

If I were cooking potatoes 100% of the way with boiling vs. steaming (and there is no frying involved) then I agree steaming is preferable because it preserves more of the potato's flavor. But that's not really relevant in the context of a fried potatoes thread.

False.

Par boiling, then tossing in hot oil, then roasting is the best method.

Pic very related

>why bother? Deep frying is faster and produces superior results.
>time constrants
>texture diff
>preference

>peel

You god damned little heathen

>>time constrants
That was kinda my point about the fryer--it's a lot faster than the oven.

I'd suggest you try tossing them in flour after you coat them in oil. Makes a tempura like crust after you roast them.

just wanted to say these look fucking DELICIOUS

Garlic, chopped up jalepeno if you want. I've thrown in a sweet potato too to mix it up/ add color

ahwooga

Interesting, I'll give it a shot.
Thanks.

Corn starch works better.

Par boil + roast

Best way for taters and it's not up for debate