I LOVE SCOTCH WHISKY

I LOVE SCOTCH WHISKY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-jZ7S-LuKTA&t=325s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I love egg

pls stop making me want to drink Veeky Forums. It's garbage day and I just threw out my empties.

SCOTCH =/= WHISKY

God you fucking retards don't know shit about severe alcoholism

Can we have a thread where we discuss cheap whisky that's decent?

usually whisky threads devolve into people boasting about their consumption of overly expensive single malts.
As much as I like Lagavullin distiller's edition....I can't afford to drink a bottle of it per week.

Thus far my favourite cheap whisky is Black Bottle (taste's like bunnahabhain lite).

from the american side of thins, my favourite whiskey is buffalo trace

Glen Moray is probably the cheapest single malt I know of that still tastes great

Sorry about your brain cells gramps but scotch is a kind of whisky

I fucking love scotch, pic related one of my essential barkeep bottles
Are you actually retarded?

I can't stand blends unless it's a blended malt. In terms of single malts Tomatin and Glenfarclas make some good affordable whisky

So do all the other redditors. Now tell us how much you love hot sauce or rare steak. I'm sure telling us how much you love these things will make up for your lack of real masculine accomplishments.

2 gingers and Jack Daniels

I just like drinking it m8. It tastes good. I don't expect to get pussy because I'm drinking some ten year old grain alcohol.

>Jack Daniels
>good
lol no

Stop being underage
Jack Daniels is crap. If you want good cheap bourbon get some Weller 12 or OWA

>tfw i can only afford cheap crap like this

Learn to work the saxophone - I play just what I feel

>3 years

Wew

youtube.com/watch?v=-jZ7S-LuKTA&t=325s

Whose your favorite taster?

Myself

Bojack Hordereddit drinks this

Do you also drink your beer neat, with a lemon twist?

Horst is a faggot who wasted a video saying how yucky tasting Brexit was, fuck that dumb old kraut. Their only good videos is Ben's interviews/tours at the distilleries he goes to.

>Go to a pub
>They have a good selection of whisky
>Ask for one
>Get a blank look
>Have to spend five minutes saying "no, not that one, the one to the left. No, the one before that. The one that says 12 on it" before they work out what you want

It amazes me that a place can have a good selection while their staff don't a fucking clue about any of it.

Best thing I've ever tasted in my life.

ralfy....7 years ago.

yootoobers are cancer now

>It amazes me that a place can have a good selection while their staff don't a fucking clue about any of it.

why? its a minimum wage, dead-end job. All i expect is a minimum level of hygiene and for them to be semi-competent with a cash register.

You're going to some pretty shit tier pubs then.

What do you guys think of this?

It's not terrible but it's overpriced.
I heard a story about the brand almost failing until they jacked up the price, making people think it was fancier than it is so they started buying it. Don't know if it's true, though.

That's a curious story.
I really love it, it's probably the best scotch I've personally tasted. I'd say it's 'worth' the price, although it hurts to purchase every time.

..you can just call it scotch. And yes, a good scotch is a beautiful thing.

>bought a bottle of bruichladdich port charlotte impulsively
>arrives yesterday
>tastes crap
>angrily order a bottle of laphroaig and a bottle of finlaggan to compensate
fuck

Scotch whisky loves you too.

Bruichladdich is overrated. People go on about it but I feel like they like the aesthetic more than the actual drink.

My go to whisky's are famouse grouse and islay mist, nothing special but it gets the job done and they taste allright.
Grouse starts off sub par but gets decent halfway through the bottle.

Teach's Highland Cream is probably the best money to taste ratio I've personally had. 10 bucks a bottle for incredible smoothness.

Crown Royal and Suntory Old are two of my favorites. Crown mixes well with everything, Suntory Old is almost exactly the same as Crown without the maple finish but costs like 17 or 18 bucks a bottle.

I'm not a massive fan of Cutty Sark, but the tiny price tag justifies its quality.

Jack Daniels is unjustified. I can't think of any whiskey that costs less than a bottle of Jack, more than 10 dollars, and tastes worse.

It sounds pretty hipster but I basically assume any booze that spends millions on marketing is going to be overpriced and underwhelming.

I think this is fair, actually. Jack's price is dramatically driven up by extensive advertisement. You're paying to subsidize marketing costs, not for the cost of production. Skip it.

It seems to be rated highly, never tried it before now though. It was really nasty, and I have no idea why it says "heavily peated" on the bottle as it barely has any peat to it at all. Going to try it again tonight, but I think I will end up giving the bottle away. Really annoyed I wasted £37 on it, although this is the first time I have ever bought something that is actually bad to be fair.

I LOVE SCOTLAND, PERIOD.

Overpriced and too much grain. Blended scotch is such a scam.
Port Charlotte distillery bottling is mediocre compared even to the Classic Laddie its honestly a bad representative of good PC.
Look for an IB Port Charlotte they're much better. Most of the praise for Bruichladdich usually is due to the Octomore or Black Arts series anyways.
Nah Bruichladdich have great shit for the price. They also experiment with casks a lot like Springbank does except most of their shit usually stays in the UK.
If your ever on Islay do the warehouse tour cause apparently its awesome, im going there next summer myself.

Also if you want an inexpensive older whisky look for Balblair 15+ year old vintages like pic related, shit is fucking cash.

>Octomore

I'll concede that I haven't tried it, but I can't see Octomore as anything other than a MOAR PEAT meme in the same vein as American IPAs. I like a peated whisky, but I would never choose one that's advertised by how peaty it is, the peat should just be an aspect of the flavour.

Also, I went to Islay a couple of months ago, but unfortunately Bruichladdich was closed that week for maintenance. I went to all the others though (apart from Caol Ila and Ardbeg). The best tour and experience was probably Bunnahabhain, it was a bit run down and rough, but it felt a lot more genuine than ones like Laphroaig (which felt a bit too polished).

My surprise disappointment was Jura. It was a lot more bare bones than I expected, especially considering it's one of the more popular brands. Kilchoman was a lot better than I expected, especially considering its age. Their 100% Islay tastes like shit though, and is only good as a gimmick.

brb gonna go kms

Currently trying it for a second time, and in fairness it is better than last nights experience. I'm no good at tasting notes, but it has more flavour and depth than it did before and the nastiness has almost gone. However, it all dissipates quickly and the alcohol burn is very prominent which leads me to believe it's too young. It isn't a peated whisky at all really, and I certainly won't be buying it again. Lagavulin 16 / Ardbeg 10 / Laphroaig QC are all a hell of a lot better than this. It's not terrible, but not great. Think it will be a bottle I dip into after a few too many when my senses are dulled as opposed to one I will give away so all is not lost. Thank fuck I didn't pay the £50 it is supposed to sell for, I'd be really pissed off if I had.

>not drinking the delicious Schrödinger's beer that is neat and garnished with a lemon peel at the same time

Can get pic related for 15 eurobux this week (25% off). Should I?

I know it's irish, not scotch, This just struck me as the right thread to ask this in.

Its really overpriced and overrated desu.

I suppose you could start there but if you wanted to explore Irish whiskey next time try either bushmills if you want a profile more like scotch or Tullamore Dew if you want more of that.

Both are easy to find and mainstream irish whiskies.

Yes, it's worth a try. Personally I don't like it much, it is ok and inoffensive but pretty bland to my tongue. However lots of people rave about it so at that price it absolutely is worth a try. Don't put ice in it would be my recommendation, it tastes of almost nothing if you do that. A bit of room temperature water goes much further to take the burn away and open it up.

>Tfw I found a bottle fo pic related some dude put out on the street while clearing out his basement

I really feel like I shouldn't drink it, seing as it seems to be way to expensive and I may not be able to appreciate it properly (went for 90 quid on an auction site I found).

inb4 theft accusation: The guy literally came out, told me where to find a bag and gave me an unused kitchen knife in its cardboard box.

Liqours for drinkin, innit?

90 quid isn't THAT much, I say drink it and let us know what it's like. Maybe even get a new bottle to compare it with?

Yeah, but it's not going anywhere, and maybe I could get there by starting with some less expensive whiskeys. And I could resell it at some point (though let's be honest, I'm probaly too lazy for that.) Or at least wait for an occasion.
I guess I'll just have some of the same guy's Grand Marnier from the 70s for now.

Don't have it at home right now, I left it at my grandparent's place so I wouldn't be tempted. I'll probably end up trying something like that, though.

To be fair liquor once its out of its aging process doesn't really get better with age, unless for example the batch was made using a method or specific ingredients that differ from the modern standard.

Do you mean it stays roughly the same, or does it actually get worse with time?
Because I was aware of the aging process happening only in the barrel. It might only get more scarce with time...

Sealed liqour is what the call "shelf-stable" and unopened it can last more or less indefinitely.

Opened bottles stay good for up to 8 months as an industry trading standard, and after that the liquor is realistically fine to about 7 or 8 years at which point it all intended taste of the original will be very faded or non-existent.

Well, it's still sealed, so it really isn't going anywhere. Thanks, by the way. I wasn't sure about bottle life expectancy.

leave a dram of scotch out over night, it will be foggy in the morning. Time takes its toll.

it'll do that if its not been chill-filtered. this is a good thing.

add a teaspoon of water to a good whisky and it will turn cloudy in about 15 minutes.

pour a glass of Johnnie walker black, leave it over night...it won't be cloudy because its been filtered.

>chill-filtered V non-chill-filtered whisky

interesting as shit, thanks. I didn't really care, but I was surprised when I left some Talisker out.

can confirm....talisker gets a bit of the scotch-mist when you add a teaspoon of water....makes it sweeter too, really opens up.

love talisker

Interesting, it shouldn't because Talisker is chill filtered. Ultimately I think it's a bit f a curiosity, some people get really into chill filtered vs non chill filtered but ultimately if you like the whisky who cares. As for letting a dram sit for a bit, I think it makes a difference. 15 minutes - half an hour works very well, most important thing is that it is at room temperature and not cold. Overnight seems excessive, but I haven't tried it so will give it a go anyway

I agree on the whole chill filtering thing. People seem to make a big deal of it, but I don't actually think it makes much difference. Plus, I completely understand why a company would want to do it, as idiots would think cloudy=bad.

Famous Grouse is probably the best cheap blend you can get.

Agreed, much better than Bells or Grants. Highland Park 12 and Old Pulteney 12 are usually around £25 a bottle too which is another nice step up. Nothing wrong with JW black either. If you are in the UK, Lidl have their own brand called Ben Bracken which is £17 a bottle, it's really good too. There is a speyside, highland, and Islay one. Extremely good for the money, better than the usual blends

I like bulleit rye. And other ryes. I'm going to try some of the other ones suggested in the thread.

I might have a look at the Ben Bracken, thanks. Lidl and Aldi tend to have nice booze in general.

I remember when I was 18 buying a bottle of Whyte and Mackay before ever trying it, absolute gutrot.

Regular bulleit is very good too, much prefer it to buffalo trace or wild turkey 81. Although if we are going for properly cheap, Jim Beam white is very, very good for the money

IT REMOVES PROTEINS AND ENZYMES, THUS, FLAVOUR.....WHY SHOULD WHISKY BE DESTROYED SO ITS AESTHETICALLY PLEASING TO PLEBS

>Jim beam white
I am intrigued. How much better than jack?

I only drink paradoxical drinks. Scotch that is not whiskey, neat beer with a lemon twist, gin without any juniper.

>gin without juniper
that's not paradoxical, it's vodka

teacher's usually gets put forward as the best budget blend....but every time i've tried it I disliked it. This was a few years ago when people were saying teacher's was putting out bad batches. maybe its great but im not buying it again.

I can get black bottle and isle of skye 8 for £15. also you can get "hog wash" from aldi for £15 which is a malt blend and bourbony but decent.

I grew up in the west highlands all my grandparents, great-uncles etc drank blends and pretty much stuck to grouse and black bottle (old formulation) it was only around christmas/new year that people would drink single malts....and even that was recent.

to my understanding nobody really gave a fuck about single malts before the 1960's .

the recent black bottle reformulation is lush. tastes nothing like the old one. but its good

It's business. Good business at that.

Considerably better I think, and half the price. It's genuinely surprisingly good for how cheap it is. Not as smoky but a lot more flavour, although to be fair I haven't drunk JD in a long time. Works just fine as a mixer too if that's your thing

Small world, I'm from Skye. Will pick up a bottle of Black Bottle on your recommendation tomorrow. Know where you are coming from with single malt - it's good that more people seem to be into it but I don't like the tend of non age statements being sold at premium prices because of marketing and popularity. I remember about 8 years ago my dad got MacAllan 10 out of Costco for £18 a bottle, wish I had been into whisky then

I mean I do old fashioneds a bit but that's about it.

Give it a go, it's so cheap it almost doesn't matter if you don't like it. To be fair, JD is overpriced as American whiskey goes so maybe the balance is off that way

Cool will do. Thanks for the tip.

Hugely. JB white is a little rough, but it actually tastes like whiskey instead of gasoline and foam banana candy like JD.
JD is bottom shelf swill masquerading as having a pedigree.

I don't mind the whole NAS thing. I've found a few that I enjoy more than some age statement ones, and I don't mind paying a similar price. In fact, I think that they can make some more interesting flavours if they aren't bound to age.

I've been a drunkard for a long time. I used to be able to get old pulteney, which I really like, for£15.
Black bottle used to cost me £11.
After 2008 whisky prices sky-rocketed.

they reformulated black bottle a few years back. it used to be quite peaty and smokey. very distinctive. now, as i think i might have mentioned earlier, it tastes like bunnahabhain lite.

bunnahabhain 12 became one of my favourite single malts when they upped the abv to 46%, got rid of the food colouring and stopped filtering it....but i haven't had a bottle in a few years.

isle of skye 8 is a really decent blend....but don't expect it to taste like talisker. it reminds me of highland park lite (HP used to be decent...then i bought a couple of bottles that weren't great).

Every month i used to get so excited about which single malts were on special offer at super markets (i remember getting lagavullin for £22)....but even on discount i can't afford to buy them regular.

buy black bottle and let it air/rest for a bit with the cap off.....it can get quite good. I love drinking it with a good heavy scottish ale like orkney dark island.

>mfw skye apparently isn't an island anymore cos it has a bridge

used to get pic related for £25.

fantastic stuff. now £40+

Bear in mind that inflation and scarcity exist.

Well, slightly citrus-coriander-cardamom infused Vodka. Possibly some fennel in there too.

that sounds delicious

There's nothing stopping youfrom trying it. Use some orange and lemon zests, possibly add a very small amount of cinnamon to the mix (I fucked up a batch of gin quite badly with cinnamon). Use a decent vodka (or filter some cheap stuff through activated carbon, though dilutioin will be an issue for small batches), and try making small batches to nail down the recipe without wasting too much booze. Infusing vodka is surprisingly fun once you get into it.

i only ever drink it at my grans because it's all she drinks. for that I rate it
old people/10

The basic Bruichladdich literally tastes like vomit to me. Seriously. It has three stages when I taste it -- an initial stage, OMGSOMEONEBARFEDINMYMOUTH stage, and then an aftertaste stage.

The aftertaste is nice, but the OMGSOMEONEBARFEDINMYMOUTH stage makes it very not worth it.

This. Same goes for that new hipster shit, "Monkey Shoulder". It's just a basic scotch with little flavor and a gimmicky bottle. A few months ago at a meet-n-greet for a professional group I belong to, someone bought a bottle of it to share around, and I had to make polite noises about it because it's not good business to piss off people who might farm out some work to you.

>go back to grandparents' house
>Grandma, where's my whiskey?
>I dumped it down the sink, you shouldna be drinkin' that shite you little hellion
>Grandma I'm 35 now I'm allowed :-(

You're sensitive to butyric acid, like me.

Other whiskys to avoid include: Springbank, Balvenie, and Monkey Shoulder.

Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure grain alcohol?

Thanks! I did try Monkey shoulder a few months ago ( ) and didn't notice that in it, though. Same with Balvenie (Doublewood), which I have had occasionally, although I prefer much more smoky stuff like Laphroaig.

What's the best not overly smoked cheap Scotch, blend or single malt?

picked this up this morning for 60nzd to last me until pay day

did i fuck up?

as somebody who's tried the octomore I can assure you it is MOAR PEAT and nothing else
people like to romanticize islay whiskeys by saying things like "It's drinking a camp fire" or "It's like staying at a log cabin in the woods"
but the octomore was like chewing a piece of burning charcoal. I couldn't feel a single redeeming quality.

>did i fuck up?
If you enjoy it then it was worth it.

yeah I normally get glenfiddich 12-21 years but I was wondering the general consensus. Im not a huge whiskey connoisseur yet I dont really drink anything else. I was thinking of getting a jap whiskey but I didnt know anything about them so I just went with the old faithful