Tfw math major at a second-rate Canadian university

>tfw math major at a second-rate Canadian university
I don't want to be a fucking high school math teacher. Is there any chance that I can at least make it into a good grad school for pure mathematics?

How second-rate are we talking? University of Ottawa? Ryerson?

Western University. Pls no bully

That's not that bad, just get a good GPA, make friends with professors so you can get good recommendation letters and try to get some research experience.

Party hard

Thanks

>Western University.
So there's a chance? what if you live in a third world country? I'm in Mexico best university but even this is like 120 worldwide, is there a chance to get into a decent grad school as someone from a third world country?

University of Ottawa is Second Rate? How about Carleton?

Carleton and University of Ottawa are second-rate universities for math

I think Carleton is supposed to be better but i could be wrong

Waterloo's the best for math right?

Depends. Its either Waterloo or UofT, but it depends I think. UofT is stronger in one field (I forget which), while Waterloo is stronger for combinatorics and optimization

Well McGill is up there as well dude. When it comes to recognition worldwide McGill may even trump U of T.

McGill is a great school, but a look at the undergrad courses that UofT offers should convince you that UofT's math program is superior to McGill's

Yeah uoft is pretty much the best in the country
but McMaster represent
top 5 top 5 top 5

>Mexican intellectuals

Not if you beat yourself down over pointless bullshit like that.

Pro tip: If you constantly take part in mathematical activities like doing undergrad research or teaching classes, then you have much higher chances of getting into a top school than if you just had brand recognition.

>I don't want to be a fucking high school math teacher.
I've accepted my fate desu. It doesn't seem like such a bad life.

My teacher graduated at the same place as me and he has a PhD from MIT, so its possible, then again he's great and I'm not.

This.

Extra-curricular and working with profs gets your name known and pumps up your resume. If you're going to university and ONLY go to classes then you're doing it wrong.

Worked a couple summers with my chem prof and got 2 NSERCS during my undergrad

Since we have people talking about Ontario uni's, does anyone know about York and UofT's life science programs? I understand that UofT is the better school, but I can get to York much more easily from where I live, and from what I've been told, I will likely get a much higher GPA there, and it's less competitive. My goal is to go to professional school afterward so York seems like the best choice. My girlfriend wants to go to either or next year for life sciences as well, but she's leaning more towards UofT. Is UofT as hard as everyone says it is, or are all the complainers the people that barely got in and were culled during 1st/2nd year?

Why do you care so much about school brand? You go where the experts are. Sure going to Harvard is great, but you primarily want to focus on finding schools who have leaders in your field. Name brand is undergrad tier.

Anyone know if I should do computer engineering or electrical engineering?
I want to work in hardware engineering and both come up a lot as minimum requirements, but then programming does too.

Is the employment rate good for computer engineers out of school now?

electrical engineering is broader than computer engineering. in EE you have power systems, signal processing, robotics, telecom, control systems. Computer engineering is just a very specialized version of EE, you would cover most of the topics listed above in reasonable depth. for employ-ability it depends on which country you are in.

if your heart is set on designing hardware do computer engineering. if you want more options study EE, but know that you'll probably have to learn some power systems(which is the civil of EE)
have you thought of EE+CS for undergrad and doing computer engineering for postgrad?

Yes, I have. Every job posting I see requires a bachelors in EE or CE/maybe CS for hardware engineering.

Do you think getting an associates in EE prior to going to uni is a good idea? I like the idea of it being a safety net incase I drop out for some reason and still have the ability to be an electrical engineer technician. I plan on doing something related to EE in any case, be it computer engineering or a dual major.