When does Tolkien ever mention that Middle Earth is based in pre renaissances times...

When does Tolkien ever mention that Middle Earth is based in pre renaissances times? Why couldn't Middle Earth be based in the future? Did we all just assume this because he mentioned people riding in horses and no one used a gun? Couldn't there be a futuristic world with no gun powder and vehicles?

What? Surely it's set in a fictional world.

Yeah but how come we assume it is a world that looks like the year 1200

Tolkien said it was the ancient Earth, it's set in a mythological past of our own world.

Could the past Earth have looked futuristic? What if our world ended due to nuclear war in the year 3000, and some writer in the next earth writes a story about us, why would his world be represented so primitive rather than what it actually looked like

Why impose the architecture of a specific geographical location like the old Northern European towns of the 1200? Why impose the looks of old knights and their shinning armour when it's set in a fantasy world long before any of our history ever even existed!

Why isn't prehistoric sci-fi more of a thing?

No. The future, with your implications, would include our present. There's too much we've done for all technology and construction to completely wiped from earth's surface. It would have to then be canon that frodo was likely to happen across an abandoned mall super-complex where he scavenged a "did you assume my gender" shirt and "juicy" sweatpants before finding the security room and taking a 9mm, 60 rounds, and a nightstick, leaving the mall, and capping' goblins, dwarves, gollum, the spider, and the pressing threat of Sauron and his Solar Powered tower array designed to harness the sun's energy and fire it as a mega-laser upon the neocitizens of middle earth.

>tl;dr: No

Tomorrowland.

I saw that at the theatres and was the only person there. Fun.

Why would any of that be there if it is set way beyond this time period? But also why would it look like it's set in the year 1200 if it is also based way beyond that time period?

Frankly there isn't enough evidence from Tolkien to suggest that what the movies look like are what the middle earth should look like, maybe it was more ancient Egyptian styled

Because erase what we've done, you'd need 100,000s of thousands of years, and total shift of Earth's tectonic plates to bring land masses with large cities underwater to hide their presence. We've built skyscrapers of concrete and steel. That doesn't just 'go away' after a few thousands years.

Bro just read the diying earth

You're all fucking wrong, Tolkien actually drew a lot, and he would have based middle earth in the Victorian era with Samuran trying to bring upon the industrial era with all his machines, the movies got it wrong and so did you all

P.S here's a picture from Tolkien himself

> taking my example so literally...

I this why you tripfag? So people can remember you're that same idiot from the previous thread?

Not at all. Glass is the only thing that would last that long, and some of our metalwork. Most cultures and civilizations we do know of have almost vanished. It didn't take that long either. ISIS isn't the first of its kind in destroying history. Hence why we know so little about the giants of the past; Hittite, Canaanites.. Most Bronze age civilizations are unknown to us. Egypt survived the onslaught of 'the Sea people'. Many others did not.
Do you really think they were the first? The way Rome was going, it certainly seemed like a repeating pattern. So much so that the ancients already had a theme for it, with their 'phases of an empire'. Can't remember the Greek author, though.

> the clothes
> that chair

Holy fuck why did Cameron go with Viking/caveman style?

It should all look like Alice in Wonderland

> Christian dark ages 5 times longer than the Egyptian civilization
> The flood from that stupid book

Please don't reproduce,I beg you.

Yeah, but you can't say "here's something that looks like a two, and I have this two here, so it must equal four." But right, if every city on all the continents were bombarded out of existence and all the history of our world was erased then sure. But you're talking about a small countries worth of civilizations being exterminated of which none had structural integrity we have now. If the pyramids still stand, our skyscrapers would be no different. And the steel would only ensure they last longer. And you're right, glass would last the longest. Old cars, factory mills, railroads and trains, boats. Of everything in our world-wide modern society, there's just too much to be found to a point where middle earth wouldn't be plausible. You'd have to have more stipulations about location than you would for actually giving it a future setting.

>100s of thousands of years
Why is this an obstacle? 100s of thousands of years will happen

Because an ancient past feels more intimate than a *far* distant future. The past builds into the present. It becomes roots to our lives. But the future only builds from our lives. And the only way for that future to mean something, it would have to act as our branches. But wiping out all traces of modern humanity and substituting in fantasy ideals as well, it becomes a thing too distant to relate to. It disregards everything I currently live for and gives me no notion of hope. Where as being in the past, there room to study, to imagine, and in some crazy way relate to the adventures.

If you couldn't see that picture is a joke then please do as you preach.

>If the pyramids still stand, our skyscrapers would be no different.
You know absolutely nothing. Our architecture is shortlived. The Pyramids stand out unlike most buildings, because they were designed to last. The reason for building them was very different from ours.
How many buildings from the 50s do you remember seeing? Or from the 900s?

>looks like the year 1200

AHAHAHAHA

Maybe 1200 BC m8. The world was pretty globalised and trade oriented by 1200. Read a book. Tolkien reminds me of ancient periods, maybe classical and earlier. When the land was still mostly unexplored, "here be dragons," full of myth and rural-living, where a "big" town had a few thousand population. Classical period at the very latest, more likely something like 2000 BC.

he intentionally didn't describe the location/setting that much because he wanted the reader to think of it for themselves, personally. It just so happened the movies and years of pre established fantasy tropes put the main image of a pre-technology, 10-13th century vision in our heads.

Chill the fuck out mate. I bet you dont even have a gf like me

>having a gf

I get laid by a fuckbuddy weekly. I could get it more often or get several other fuckbuddies if I wanted it more often.

Not my fault you've never read a history book in your life. Comparing Tolkien to a medieval world... It isn't Game of Shit.

They were destroyed by us because materials we used were either unstable or unhealthy. And then we built new building with the intention of them standing as long as we live. Skyscrapers aren't buildings. They're people. They're CEO's, conglomerates, tycoons, entrepreneurs. They're people who need to leave their mark. And with our technology today, we have the materials to build for that. The only sacrifice between modern architecture and the pyramids is we employ a different form of luxury. Luxury for the living not the dead. But that doesn't mean they won't last simply because your faith has dwindled.

fuckbuddie? more like... fuck boy.

>African proto-kangdoms

This nigga reeks of virginity, haha nigga can't get laid, hahaha

cringe

>Being this unbelievably retarded

Kek'd.

Read Julian May's "Nonborn King" series. It's genuine prehistorical sci-fi, and a clever origin story for European mythology.

That's low fantasy. Terry Brooks and Gene Wolfe do that a lot. Tolkien is writing legendary epic.

More like the 800s. The name "Middle Earth" is derived from Norse mythology. It's a translation of Midgard, the middle realm between heaven and hell. Tolkien's world is an analogue of Europe during the Dark Ages, and draws heavily on Norse, Saxon and Teutonic myth.

Because archaeology, you unbelievable dork.

Tolkien pretty exhaustively documented Middle Earth's history from creation up to the end of LOTR.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but:

>Humans = Sanguine (pleasure-seeking, weak self-control, prone to degeneracy)
>Hobbits = Phlegmatic (peaceful, optimistic, and can adapt to hard times when they come)
>Elves = Choleric (proud of their beauty and superiority, brooding, aloof and serious with the world on their shoulders)
>Dwarves = Melancholic (all about getting shit done, orderly, traditional, bitter at others because of past mental baggage)

Thoughts?

>comparing Wolfe to Terry Sucks

I gave them as examples of fantasy settings in the future.

Good game. Can I play?

>Humans = Choleric (warlike, energetic, impulsive, ruled by their passions)
>Hobbits = Sanguine (comfortable, secure, seekers of contentment, fond of food and drink)
>Elves = Melancholic (doomed to immortality, self-absorbed, lamenting a lost golden age and the usurpation of Men)
>Dwarves = Phlegmatic (dour, immovable, unimaginative, concerned with practical matters)

There will be a special prize for portraying Ents as Choleric.

Well, balls. I guess it's all Forer effect after all. Let's forget the horoscopes.

>Hobbits = The Nerds
>Humans = The Jocks
>Elves = The Jocks' cheerleader girlfriends
>Dwarves = Marching Band

The whole idea was to create a mythology for England because Tolkien didn't think Britain had one. Middle-Earth is set in the ancient past.

"Based on" does not mean "is supposed to be." Middle Earth being based on medieval Europe means that that's what Tolkien drew inspiration from, not that you're supposed to treat it as actually being Europe when you read the books.

There's no "You maniacs! Your blew it up!" moment because Middle Earth is a fictional land in a fictional universe; there's no in-canon connection to our own.

jesus christ

>we assume
Literally who

Whoa
That image is cool

>Why couldn't Middle Earth be based in the future?

Because white people still exist in Middle Earth.

I unironically recommend you to read David Lewis' paper "Truth in fiction" to see why your idea is most likely retarded.

Read the silmarillion it covers the creation of middle earth

accurate

/thread

In my city the oldest building is church from 16th century, and there's still a couple of other buildings from 18th century. And theyre made of WOOD. The reason they are not older is that the whole city burned down a few times in the medieval times