Why the fuck do math professors tend to be the most unforgiving pricks...

why the fuck do math professors tend to be the most unforgiving pricks? they never give two fucks if you have a valid reason for something or not.

>professor my dad just died
>i don't give a shit. show up and do well on your exam or you will fail.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pno-QZRmmyk
airspacemag.com/need-to-know/how-are-airline-pilots-tested-for-mental-health-167046164/
employmentlawhandbook.com/leave-laws/state-leave-laws/texas/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>i

You brought it on yourself. It's a common knowledge that mathematicians are insufferable pricks.

Though you would know better, valid reasoning alone does not necessarily prove an argument. If your premise is false, then the reasoning is a waste of time.

Your math professor must be a great teacher to impart this valuable lesson to you.

You are just angry. Emotions always, ALWAYS, disturb intelligence.

Job of professor is to read your exam and score you. You will be evaluated based on your exam.

Is "my dad died" part of exam? No. Therefore doesnt' affect evaluation.

Is "I was sick" part of exam? No. Therefore doesn't affect evaluation.

Is "I will give you blowjob" part of exam? No. But this is a thing professor actually wants, so sure, why not.

>>professor my dad just died
youtube.com/watch?v=pno-QZRmmyk

>my dad just died
relevance?
hint: nobody cares.

/thread

>Is "I will give you blowjob" part of exam? No. But this is a thing professor actually wants, so sure, why not.
Only if you're a cute boy tho.

Compared with liberal arts mathematics isn't something you can fake your way through with subjective bullshit. There are right answers and you either get them or you don't.
Your dad dying is basically just another form of subjective bullshit, it has no relevance to whether or not you get the right answers on the exam.

No OP but I'm taking the bait anyway.

Of course it will affect how you perform on a test you fucking imbecile.

And someone dying isn't subjective, it's pretty factual. Dumb cunt.

>implying people here have any shred of empathy or sympathy.

>it will affect
Has no relevance to whether or not you get the right answers on the exam.
There are any number of events that could "affect" a person taking an exam. And all of them are irrelevant because the only thing that counts is whether you get the answers right.
Would it be OK to lax up on the UL standards for fire protection systems because the guy building it is sad about his dad dying? No, fuck off, that has no relevance to whether or not you're doing a task correctly.

Because there's too many people trying to study mathematics as it is and if you're not the kind of autist who can write proofs with a gun pointed at your head and the lifeless corpses of your murdered children at your feet you won't be able to compete with the 5,000 Chinese Ivy league grads so why waste the professors time and yours.

It's not about weather it's ok to dumb things down because people have feelings, that's not my point.

It's about realising that the emotional state of humans influences their ability to complete tasks to a certain standard.

If you think this is not true, please don't do any job that could put others at risk. Stay inside and solve math problems.

>ideas are not connected to emotions

lol at brainlet raitonalist

In the real world compliance standards for a task are defined in terms of what you have to do, not how you have to feel.
Nobody is going to try to psychoanalyze you so they can intervene and do your job for you when you're sad. Not relevant.

The exam isn't some perfect uncreated god that we have to please. The exam is a test, designed to measure how well a student understands what was taught. If two students learned exactly the same amount, but one's dad died and the other's didn't, then the first student will do worse. Someone who isn't a brainlet would recognize that this biases the exam and compensate for it.

He's probably an obnoxious brainlet whose only achievement in life is failing students on a test

:D

Emotional strain is cognitive load, and additional cognitive load can degrade performance on cognitive tasks. Again: factual. The standards are the standards, but if you're putting all of your hopes in a man who is spending 50% of his time thinking about how his dad just died two days ago to make sure your building doesn't catch fire, you're the one who might be mentally challenged.

As far as "people skills" go, the point of raising a death in the family isn't to question whether one should have to do a task correctly but rather to question whether it's appropriate at a given time to be asked to do so. (As in: is it more appropriate for you to be preparing for and taking a mathematics exam, or is it more appropriate to spend time processing your loss?)

>inb4 hurr no math boi can have emotion xDD
>hurr u r not gud engineer if u r sad at work xDD

Dealing with monetary or structural loss as a result of emotion or standard human processes is expected when you hire a human. Basically, you're the one who should be fucking off.

>Implying Math has any shred of empathy or sympathy.

No user, you must create that artificially with math.
I.e an algorithm for a robotic QT waifu.

>If two students learned exactly the same amount, but one's dad died and the other's didn't, then the first student will do worse.
At most you could say they *might* do worse. There's no absolute law of physics that says you will always fuck up an exam if your dad died the day before you took it. And it doesn't matter either way because again, nobody is testing you on your emotional well being here, they're testing you on whether or not you get the answers right on the exam. There are millions of little events in your life that influence how you behave, none of them matter for the task of grading your exam.

As an Ivy grad: absolutely NONE of my mathematics professors would have taken issue with a student asking for an exam extension due to loss in the family.

I understand that Veeky Forums tends not to be the cream of the crop, but you'll come to find that the most capable individuals you encounter also tend to be the most well-rounded (and therefore have the emotional intelligence to not do what OP described).

Incorrect.

In the real world a great many jobs involve recurring physical and emotional examinations to determine id the person is fit for the job.

In fact they care very much how you feel, for instance they wouldn't want a pilot to intentionally crash an aircraft with everyone on board because they're depressed.

>a great many jobs involve recurring physical and emotional examinations
>pilot
airspacemag.com/need-to-know/how-are-airline-pilots-tested-for-mental-health-167046164/
>Although the Federal Aviation Administration requires physicals every year for commercial pilots under 40 and every six months for those older, the FAA does not require psychological checks. The FAA-approved doctors order testing only if they think a pilot needs it.

You assume that university testing is an absolute air-gap, perfectly and precisely isolating understanding in the minds of students and then evaluating it.

This isn't true, precisely for the reason you mentioned:
>At most you could say they *might* do worse.

The fact stands that, given two students with the same understanding of the material, differing only in the fact that one is unable to focus on anything other than the fact that his father just died, it's reasonable to assume that performance will differ.

An apt educator will understand this. If you are testing mastery of the material, you should wait until both students are affected (to as great a degree as possible) by the same set of confounding variables.

>the test measures how well you do on the test
To what end?

>it's reasonable to assume that performance will differ.
No it isn't. If anything you might expect performance to drop on a task that involves conscious effort like writing an essay. Calculations are just calculations. Your entire extended family could die and it still probably wouldn't make you incapable of solving 5 + 3.

>Emotions always, ALWAYS, disturb intelligence.
Which is exactly why it's unfair to take an exam if your father had just died.

If you do well enough on your exams you get a diploma eventually, which among other things serves as a form of credential demonstrating that you can perform above the minimum standard for that sort of subject matter, which is something employers can reference to help in making their hiring decisions, or something you can impose as a prerequisite for people who want to become professional academics.

You can always try escalating. Go to the department head or Dean or somebody and see if they'll cut you some slack.

That's the FAA's official decision, and they still admit something needs to be put in place. Do you really think a pilots emotional well-being is never assessed? I guess the more important questions would be do you really think it's irrelevant to performance?

>Veeky Forums allways jokes about how gay engineers are
now this

I understand most of you luv the D and project it onto us

I think you should focus on defining in a compliance standard what needs to be done to perform a task successfully and not what collection of vague personal factors might or might not be in play in the given worker's psyche at any given moment in time.
If you kill a guy because you were sad when working on a fire system the court case will focus on what physical things you did that violated compliance standards, not how sad you were.

>math is about calculations

>>professor my dad just died
Then who was phone?

We're talking about exams, not mathematics as a platonic form or something.

Some students do even better when their parents died, especially if it was one of those "rough love" parents that told them, I may die, but you. You must live. YOU must succeed.

Or

If their parents were abusive, though much more rare. They will do their exam on an upbeat...

>The guy building it is sad his dad died
Isn't that why we have bereavement leave? Because we recognize that being sad will impact output, so we don't want sad people with suboptimal output working on our fire protection systems.

>bereavement leave
I live in Texas, we don't do retarded shit like that here.
employmentlawhandbook.com/leave-laws/state-leave-laws/texas/

Oh, that explains things.

what really happened?
something made you butthurt enough to construct this fantasy.
tell use about it

In a world devoid of empathy and emotion, yes a jury would objectively reach a verdict based on laws broken.

It's not like that. Not even a bit. Any good lawyer will tell you it's not about the truth or justice. It's not even about what you can prove. It's about how much emotional influence you can exert on the jury.

How sad, or how distressed you were absolutely influences the outcome. For example the abused spouse who ends up murdering the abuser. Murder is murder, but you only need one member of the jury to empathise with the years of suffering the murderer endured and you're done.

I'm not making this up, this is how it actually is, weather you like it or not.

my experience has been the complete opposite. my algebra professor let me take an exam a month after when it was supposed to be taken.
The exam was on the last day before winter break, and I also had a job interview that same day, so he said I could just take it after I return from winter break.

>Employer may choose to provide bereavement leave and may be required to comply with any bereavement policy or practice it maintains.

So, bereavement leave is a thing in Texas, and in exactly the form I was referring to it as. The state can get fucked, desu senpai.

being a professor (especially for freshman/sophomore level classes) does that to you
you make one exception, word of mouth gets around and suddenly you find yourself flooded with emails asking for such

that being said my upper division profs have been a lot more forgiving and flexible than my lower div.

>what are proofs

So what situation -really- drove you to post this? Something like your greentext only happens if you've already bombed or blown off one exam.