Can it be the case that current mathematical notation is outdated and not expressive enough to tackle present problems...

Can it be the case that current mathematical notation is outdated and not expressive enough to tackle present problems in both pure mathematics and natural sciences?

It's not. Nobody serious has any problem with properly-written mathematics. Study harder. Make flashcards or something if you need to.

That's bullshit. Sure, it works, but saying that it is impossible to have a better notation is being blind. Notation has been continuously improving, and each iteration, each new notation makes it more instinctive to apply the rules of math.
Compare exponents notation in the 1000s to modern notation, for example.

Your post seems to suggest that our current notation is perfect, and that is ridiculous.

It's poorly designed garbage that has no consistency. We should write everything in terms of s-expressions instead of arbitrary symbols.

What is this, ancient egypt? Why should we have to invent new language mechanics for every single new mathematical concept? That's retarded.

What the fuck are you on about? I never claimed it was "perfect," nor did I claim it was "impossible to have a better notation." I said nobody who is actually within the field of mathematics has gripes with the current notation. We don't want your weird "I need this to be simpler" thing. Not something we are interested in. Nobody thinks grasping the notation is the hard part of advanced mathematics so nobody is going to focus their efforts on fixing what isn't broken

It's not a notation problem because mathematicians are allowed to come up with their own notation.

What does this actually mean? I can't google.

Notation in physics is often so messy like that because physicists need to do actual calculations.

You can easily write the SM Lagrangian in much cleaner notation.

if linguistic determinism phenomenon is real, then used notation/formalism shapes the way you perceive and think.

Many times, introducing new notation led to breakthrough in mathematics.

>I said nobody who is actually within the field of mathematics has gripes with the current notation
Reminder that pure math is the most close-minded and incestuous field academic study.

Man. We have shit to do. It doesn't need to be kid-friendly, it needs to work. If you're getting hung up on Greek letters or something then just cut your losses and leave the math for someone else all together. If notation is hard for you, you're better off doing something else entirely

you are free to use whatever notation you like; i have a few symbols and shortened notations I use for myself in my notes, and probably everyone does the same in some degree
authors have the freedom to define any symbols and state any definitions they want in their books/papers, yet they keep using more or less the same standard since it's good enough
Could notation be made easier for learners? probably
would it be any improvement to people who are already comfortable with it? probably not

you're simply sidestepping the issue
just as an example, even someone dumb like you could -thanks to modern notation- do calculations in your mind that would baffle men much more intelligent than you who lived in the middle ages
but take away that notation, and you would lose that power

notation / language IS science, the notion that the notation ab means a x b is as important as the idea that a(bc) = (ab)c

nobody is talking about greek fucking letters, you're too braindead to see what this thread is about

If.

the likelyhood of that equation producing a helpful result is 0.

You're a fucking retard. That's physics.

Yes it's likely outdated. Look how stupid the logarithm vs. exponent notation we use is. It doesn't reflect the symmetry of the operations like it should and this makes it unnecessarily confusing for students to remember the meaning of the placement of random subscripts. Mathematics should be beautiful and intuitive

>Look user, nobody has a problem with Sanskrit, you just have to learn it properly. We don't need more expressive written languages

The physics of what. A soaked sponge ball being thrown by a professional baseball pitcher at a soccer net?

>d-dis physics

hurrrrrrrrrrr physics is useful hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr gtfo of Veeky Forums

To go into more detail, algorithmic manipulations come from notation, and not the other way around. Early number systems were extremely hard to work with because you had weird carrying rules and even quantization due to a lack of the existence of a general purpose number system like what we use right now (base N with an order of magnitude separation point, in our case called the decimal point because we use base-10).

Read the book "The Historical Roots of Elementary Mathematics" and it will go into detail on many number systems and their drawbacks, and explain this all thoroughly.

Base 10 is used for no greater reason than having 10 fingers or 10 toes. Dont really need a justification for it. The problem with the decimal system is that a significand allows for arbitrary infinite accuracy beyond any equivalent physical measurement. Strings of numbers for the sake of strings of numbers.

It's not about the decimal system, it's about the invention of the base-N system. I'm telling you that before this was invented various cultures used mixed-base systems, for instance base-60 with the Babylonians I believe with no arbitrary fractions other than a subset of acceptable fractions which you HAD to round to. This was inefficient and it was difficult to add and multiply in it. Difficult as in it had more steps and more mental exertion to do it correctly.

Modern base-N notation is superior regardless of whether it's base-10 or base-12

And the arbitrary accuracy is not a problem. It's a benefit. You want a number system that inherently only had a granulation of 1/60th? No

>Can it be the case that current mathematical notation is outdated and not expressive enough to tackle present problems in both pure mathematics and natural sciences?
No.

I doubt you can purely blame the notation, although I personally think that it is very bad (Not that I have any idea to make it better).

soon symbolic programing languages will make the bridge between our intuitive use of script and spoken word and mathematics.

Wolfram Language is my biggest hope but there are others projects pushing this as well so just stay tuned

Does anyone have ideas for better notation and examples of how they'd work?

The problem isn't the notation so much as the concepts.

How would you write the logarithm?

He is referring to the 3b1br video.

While on a train with an impulse of pi while flying directly in a sun that is collapsing into a black hole.

由此可以認為,目前的數學符號,是過時的,沒有足夠的表現力,以解決這兩個純數學和自然科學存在的問題的情況下?亮。

Shiny

π + 1 = 2 4 = 1 + 1 + 1...

N + 3 = A 4-hands = 1 + 1 + 1...

Please list some issues with current notation that you think are -preventing- mathematicians from tackling "present problems".
Everything that's been listed in the thread so far at the very worst might mean a little more bookkeeping than some hypothetical more efficient method. Log/Exp notation isn't preventing anyone from tackling a problem.

Yeah OP's original premise is moot, but there is definitely room for improving it. For both aesthetic and functional reasons.

Seems fine to me

mathematic notation is fine. it's physics notation that is fundamentally fucked

see: bra-ket notation

You're the kind of person who works for Google or Facebook, always needing to "improve" shit... Try applying there.

>samefagging op

Worse than an idea guy is a "someone should get an idea" guy

Isn’t the ether fake!

The Michelson-Morley experiment proved the luminiferous aether to be nonexistent, yes