What are good books for people who love plants. preferably something obscure that is unlikely to be known at large

what are good books for people who love plants. preferably something obscure that is unlikely to be known at large

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/1AsvUjHB.
amazon.com/Hidden-Life-Trees-Communicate-Discoveries/dp/1771642483
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

your previous identical thread was archived 5 minutes ago

then please calm down and do a search on your own

>y something obscure that is unlikely to be known at large
list the well known ones you've read, snowflake

ok i just wanted something new i have read most of the classics i just wanted to know. i did a poor job making that last thread and only got one result that was good.

i have read all of the american transcendentalists, a lot of taoist works, a lot of non-fiction on botany and plant biology, i read hamsun's work too.

m8, most of those aren't relevant to the list you're asking for. i don't think you've read shit on plants at all since you can list shit. go fuck off to google, go read the shit that gets thrown up, and then come back here and read the fucking sticky which says you shouldn't ask for recs before doing any research at all. you just want "obscure" books because you're more interested in being a snowflake than learning about snowdrops. your list is about as relevant to your thread as saying the bible because it has plant references in it.

why are you so fucking angry. those works are all about nature and plants. i have read pliny the elder, lineaus, and Theophrastus

The Invention of Nature: The Adventures of Alexander von Humboldt by andrea wulf

because you're not even basic and all take take take, while deliberately looking for "obscure" shit which is the definition of a snowflake.

ok fine what basic things am i missing. i had thought i read a bit but apparently i am missing a huge part of the cannon when in comes to plant life so tell me exactly what i am missing.

thank you that is a fantastic answer

>spoonfeed me
you're missing google and the sticky and the board rules.

Rudolf Camerarius - De sexu plantarum epistola
Conrad Gessner - Historia Plantarum

Brian Ogilvie - The Science of Describing: Natural History in Renaissance Europe
Londa Schiebinger - Plants and Empire

ok fine i am sorry i even posted this i will take the tread down. i am sincerely sorry i was being kind of a dick

the thread is here now. killing it won't bring a thread back. just don't be a special snowflake faggot next time because that's cancerous shit that will lead to you only ever talking to under read special snowflakes.

user has some good recs (i'd add quinine by rocco to plants and empire for a case study) but don't do that shit. if you don't want this board to be full of that bullshit, don't model it.

you should also talk to on this question, just also don't be a dick to their board and lurk a bit first.

I'd recommend Rupert Sheldrake (in general, but specifically his morphic resonance) if you're into weird shit. He worked on plant biology for his doctorate at Cambridge and then became a weird esoteric. Definitely a kook but if you like obscure "ways of thinking about things" he's pretty cool.

I wonder if you might look into the recent scholarly focus on the so-called anthropocene. I know a lot of History/Philosophy of Science types who are doing weird-ass "getting back in touch with nature" type papers on how to "feel" that there are fungal networks under the ground in order to see the environment as a holism and shit like that. Some of them do some interesting things with Deleuze, (ironic?) vitalism, etc.

OP, there's a wonderful novel from the 1900s about a brawny woodsman who takes care of a dying girl in his cabin using his knowledge of plants and herbs. It was one of the best-selling books of whatever year it came out, that's how I found it a few years ago, I can't remember what year but I was reading the top 10 bestselling books of every year from 1900-1910.

I'm trying to find it now, hang on. It's really good,

Found it! It's The Harvester by Gene Stratton-Porter.

It's not a romance novel, although it is very romantic. The main character is modeled after Thoreau.

>David Langston is the Harvester, the Medicine Man. At age 26 he lives a solitary life with only his dog and horse to keep him company. He cultivates and harvests medicinal herbs and flowers on an acreage he has carefully developed. Here, in nature's pristine beauty and a world of thriving birds and wildlife, David dreams of someday finding a woman who will love him truly and passionately. He sees his Dream Girl in a vision and sets out with his typical persistence to find her. So certain is he that this lovely vision will become reality, he adds onto his small home and creates furniture lovingly by hand to meet her every comfort.

>Ruth Jameson is ill in body, mind and spirit, a thin pale wraith of a girl. But to David Langston she is beauty personified. Her past has all but killed her, but David has no doubts. He loves her and will sacrifice anything and everything to win her. But first she must be made whole through pure food and nature's medicine, both laced generously with a decent man's devotion. He marries the girl to save her from cruelty and squallor, and promises to put male desire on hold until she can come to him freely. In his heart of hearts, he knows there is a chance she will never love him but he's willing to face that heartbreak if only she can be well again.

thank you very much user

jesus fuck, you must have all the ants of Africa hidden inside your butthole to be this buttblasted over a fucking thread about plants

It's basic board hygeine. OP would get better advice from the board which actually has gardening and plants in its sticky, and if he lurked before posting like every user is supposed to do, he wouldn't be getting shit. But since he thinks he's a special snowflake who is above basics, above board rules [like reading stickies], and above board divisions. user's right, OP's cancer. Or would you not be mad if I started threads about which obscure mangos I could read, about which obscure computer manuals I should read for C++, about which obscure dating techniques I could use on unwilling grills? Because if you won't be offended by clearly off topic for the board thread, I'll feel free to make them the board norm in OP's honour, you white knighter of OT and spammers idiot.

by all means, go right ahead and do it, why the fuck should i care?

you act like this State, like there's something to protect here, some slippery fucking slope which we should avoid at all cost.

be fucking real: the quality of threads and discussion, here on Veeky Forums, is subpar at best. most of the time, Veeky Forums is basically just senior high school kids and college freshmen looking for ways to consume their way into a personality. there's no changing that. good discussion will happen in the crevices and shit will always flow in the surface no matter what.

if some person decides to make a threat looking for book recommendations, why in the ever-clear most loving fuck would you give a shit?? if the person is looking for obscure books or introductory material, why would it matter, like, at all?

maybe this person is looking to engage in some fucking human conversation and isn't looking just for a list of titles. i mean, it's possible, wouldn't you think?

what irks me is not the act of being an entitled asshole for no reason, it's the underlying assumptions that seem so true to cunts like you and how these assumptions always seem to be veiled under some bullshit proposition like "... OP would get better advice from the board which actually has gardening and plants in its sticky" or "... since he thinks he's a special snowflake who is above basics".

board hygiene, what the fuck could that even mean.

>it's already shit, let's make it shitter
Join OP in the chemo line

this one!!!!

>Muh safe space

How is that even safe space shit? OP would get more info from a board where it's on topic. If you'd like to shit up the board because you think it's already shit, fine, I hope you also treat your life that way.

OP is asking for books related to plants, preferably books he hasn't heard of yet. Why do you care about his motivation so much? If you want to participate in the discussion, do so. If you don't, don't. You're too anal for your own good.

>i feel the urgent need to police what is, inherently, not mine and doesn't affect me in any way

join a meditation cult or something in hopes of finding a more peaceful living

no really this book was great!!!!

>he thinks board divisions are policing
I know /b/ was a mistake and this place should have stayed purely anime all the time. Or book threads should have stayed on /b/ and /r9k/ like it was.
His motivation matters because he's a poser who's really unlikely to give back to the board, and the thread would be better answered by a board it's relevant to. /k/ doesn't send us everyone looking for a gun manual, and there's good reason for that.

None of this answered how it was safe space shit, and neither of you seem to understand on topic so I doubt you read anything that well if you can't understand Veeky Forums's rules and FAQ which even degenerate weebs and autistic programmers can.

>give back to the board
are you kidding? do you live here or something?

Jesus, you're actually that entitled and selfish.

hi i am op. i actually post a lot here. like a lot i have been posting for years. i compile lists of obscure books that are rarer to create new discussions about new and interesting books rather than the same 30 books we always discuss here is the list i complied pastebin.com/1AsvUjHB. i have been doing nothing but have reading these books for half of the year now. i am not doing this for personality purposes this is an anonymous board how would this contribute to personality at all. i post pretty much everyday here

>he is a poser he isn't a real reader like me

You should stop posting, you're digging your own grave.
OP, don't listen to this faggot
Don't feel the need to justify yourself, you made an interesting thread
Did nothing wrong

See, that I can actual respect because you're doing something with the info even though I know you're not reading all of those.

But there's a difference between letting on that you'll read them and claiming want obscure books to read because you've read everything basic [which you haven't, and you would get a better basics list from asking /out/ or asking for basic books], in comparison for asking for rare books because you make a list.

That does convey some of your personality that you essentially lie about your motivations and background and the chances of you reading anything posted here; because you won't get through those lists, and those lists won't contain the basics you claim to have already read [which you haven't and probably won't since that would take time away from your already large backlog of books that are purposefully not foundational], it would be better to just tell people you're making a list of obscurities not that you're well read on the subject or even intend to read all the books recommended. Someone who does solely focus on "obscure" books certainly does indicate their personality, especially if they've been focused on that to the exclusion of others. Everytime I see one of those threads, I also think "well, those will just be the new snowflake normal like Gaddis et al".

Why lie? It's not like there's a circlejerk of plant books you're trying to avoid. It's not like a basic plants books list would be objectionable either, though again, you'd get more and better recs from a board that has some background in producing such lists already. I think you want obscurity for obscurities sake, and yeah, that's normally the domain of snowflakes.

For once I'm going to bump your thread, because anons who read the sticky's wiki, which contains thousands of books which rarely have any mention on this board, might use it the same way they use the sticky. I still think that the majority of your appeal will be to people as liberal with the truth of their intentions as you are, and who admire obscurity for no other reason than it makes them feel special.

Well, yes he is. He's posing as someone who has read a lot about plants when the closest he could get with most of his basics count as much as books about plants as the Bible does.
I post a shittonne of stuff but I don't ask anyone to spoonfeed me recs because I'm perfectly capable of researching a topic of interest to me and prefer a knowledgeable foundation to just picking out obscurity for the sole sake of being obscure.
I think OP's a snowflake but at least he gives something back from it, unlike some of the other wankers ITT. I don't like that he conceals his motivation behind lies of having a good foundation, because what OP promises with that [someone with a working foundation] he cannot deliver.
So I'm not really digging my own grave because I was well read before Veeky Forums was just /a/, and if it shut down tomorrow, I'd still be awesome.

typos errywhere but it's well past my bedtime and the meaning mostly carries.

you really hate me don't you. am i really that big a jerk cause i posted the obscure. i apologized for that and clarified that any books would be fine. i may not be as well read as you are, maybe i do like new things for the sake of new things. i am worried i am doing something really terrible and i am not seeing it. i am sorry

>this sperg stays on for hours to post about how he is smart and well read while the guy who asked for plant books isn't

I'm not saying you're a jerk, I'm saying you're a snowflake. Embrace it. You like the obscure more than the foundational, and you don't need to pretend you have a foundation to make a contribution to the board. Obviously the contribution will appeal to those who want the obscure, which means mostly snowflakes. It runs the risk of becoming a circlejerk for some of them, like anything for snowflakes on this board, and it's happened to a few authors and books already.

Stoner, Gaddis, et al all come out of that process, but that's not necessarily an entirely bad thing. Sure, it'll mean some pretentious twats who think they're special, but it also means more anons will read beyond their norm. I don't really hold the snowflake part against you because you're doing something productive with it. I just don't get why you lie about reading basics when you're not interested in that.

Hm, maybe an analogy: I don't have a problem with people reading Russians, but I do have a problem with people who don't read the Russians and claim to have. I'm not trying to rag on you endlessly for that, I just plain don't understand why people lie about something which is so easily found out and which they don't need to lie about anyway. It really perplexes me why people would want to pretend they read Russian authors a lot without reading one at all, because they're obviously not interested in that.

It's a genuine question, not a slight. I really don't understand why you would do that. I don't bother calling you a snowflake when I see what I presume are your obscure books threads, because I assume it's obviously a thread for people who want obscurity just because it's rare. But you don't need to pretend you have a list of basics you've worked through to do that, so why bother? It just makes people ask for the basics list and then find out you're not interested in basics but the obscure. Why not just tell people you want rare and new things? Don't be sorry about that, because that has its place, but don't pretend you're into something you're not either, you know?

>this sperg is so simplistic he can't even see shades of gray

i actually do read about plants. i am a botany major. i study plants as a living. but i don't read any fiction or history about them. all i have really read are text books and a few of the writings of great botanists.

also i am reading those books on the list. not all of them but have been reading them for a while. i am currently reading the man without qualities

where are you at? or what are you studying for? like with von Humboldt for South America, or Linneaus for basic classification and collection studies, there's a couple of people who are famous in different regions/disciplines.

Like Joseph Banks is mentioned in the Mutiny on the Bounty, and in the Aubery-Maturin series that PatrickO'Brien wrote and I think he has a biography of him too, but he's influential enough to be basic. Though if you haven't read vonHumboldlt you might not know he's an influence on vonHumboldt, which himself is pretty mainstream.

Darwin has massive tomes on flower inbreeding, but they're dense as fuck and not to everyone's taste and so obscure by most standards, even though Darwin could not really be considered obscure.

It being obscure is too broad for me to really rec shit, because I like stuff that I would consider mainstream, like Darwin, but to someone else it seems obscure to read dense volumes about flower incest.

It's hard for me to put handles on what you're actually looking for, and since I like the foundational shit, what you're looking for might be beyond my remit.

Hah, that used be memed here a lot. It's a good example of the board opening up people to stuff they might not have heard of because a snowflake took it and ran with it. I get you're reading them, but I'd cry if that were my backlog too because we have different working methods.

>le snowflake XDDD

This thread is now about beautiful flowers

le monkey face

i am sorry this is bad thread

Ikebana!

Mock orange forgives you

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying I don't understand what you mean by obscure in terms of botany. Like, would Banks, vonHumboldt or Darwin count?

I really don't suggest reading the Darwin books on flower incest unless you're autistic as fuck because that's pretty much their only appeal, but because nobody really wants to read that, they might count as obscure.

There's a good book call Extraordinary Popular Delusions and The Madness of Crowds that deals with the Tulip Bubble in relation to other financial bubbles in one section, which I don't think is obscure or wholly what you're looking for since it deals with many other things too, and The Botany of Desire also deals with it, but I think that's pretty popular too.
But there is a book called Ottoman Tulips, Ottoman Coffee, which is a series of essays that has the Ottoman Tulip age running throughout if not the focus of the individual essays, and I think that's rare enough if it's been mentioned before on this board, it's probably been by me. If obscurity matters more than botany, that might make the grade, but if it's botany foremost you're looking for The Botany of Desire is best of those three.

- The Cabaret of Plants
- The Emerald Planet
- Plant Behaviour and Intelligence
Want to read the above two ones, read the last one. I thought it was good.

Biology student here, also very interested in this thread topic.
I liked this one: amazon.com/Hidden-Life-Trees-Communicate-Discoveries/dp/1771642483

There's a book in existence dedicated to ecology in Finnegan's Wake, if that strange book interests you.

Perfume, by Patrick Suskind