I was too embarrassed to ask at the deli counter. Is chorizo like this usually fully cooked? How do you cook chorizo?

I was too embarrassed to ask at the deli counter. Is chorizo like this usually fully cooked? How do you cook chorizo?

No, you need to remove the casing and cook it.

OP you've been trolled beyond belief; that isn't even chorizo

Not cooked. I'd say 10–12 minutes on medium heat and then cut one in half to check if it's cooked through.

Yes, it is. Chorizo comes in both "fresh" and "dry" forms, both in casing, and both need to be removed from the casing and cooked, IF IT'S Mexican chorizo.
If it's Portuguese chorizo, you cook it sliced or linked.

That looks like fresh sausage which would need to be cooked.

Spanish chorizo is usually sold fully cured and can be eaten as is but is almost always pan fried anyways.

Mexican chorizo is usually fresh and needs to be cooked. The Mexican variety is also extremely fatty and breaks down into more of a paste than a sausage.

Portugese > Mexican

That's because Mexican chorizo is made from suet and lymph nodes. Not even joking user. Look at the ingredients list next time you're in the store. ZERO actual meat in mexican chorizo.

wtf I've been eating chorizo like they were Slim Jims for years.

>Fry in pan until brown but not crisp.Drain grease and scrape to side of pan
>scramble eggs in pan to where theyre gooey. Equal amount of chorizo, then mix chorizo and egg. Cook together until eggs are finished
>place mix in corn tortillas for breakfast tacos, or flour tortillas for burrito
>add condiments of your choice

Wala. Burritos on par with any Mexican restaurant in the country

Am I doing it right?

thats Mexican chorizo
tastes fucking amazing mixed in with scrambled eggs

yes
strain the grease afterwards if you arent a fatass

OP here. You all can sleep soundly knowing that I ate the SHIT out of this chorizo. I am so full and happy and content.

.t someone whom has never been to a Mexican grocery

Wrong, the casin can also bw cooked

keep cooking till it shrinks up more and strain the grease

Mix it with eggs or refried beans and make tacos or mix it with that white mexican cheese and make tacos or use tortilla chips to eat. Never seen anyone eat it alone.

This is why I love Veeky Forums.

You can ask

This is probably the scariest thing I’ve eaten in my life.

I’ve been doing a little crawl of local SF Bay Area Mexican markets and eating some wonderful chorizo. So I figured I’d wrap things up and try a commercial brand for comparison - El Mexicano

I pick up a 12 oz plastic package for $1.49. I don’t read the ingredient list till I get home ...

Pork salivary glands, lymph nodes & fat (cheeks), paprika, soy flour, vinegar, salt, spices red pepper, garlic, sodium nitrate.

I’m still game ... after all who knows what’s in most hot dogs, this is no different.

There are instructions on the package to remove the casing before cooking ... well, ok, but I’ve been cooking most of the chorizo from the butcher shops with casing.

No ... you MUST remove the casing ... it is plastic.

The red chorizo squooshed out. It was soft like pate or a soft liverwurst. There were long stringy pieces in it ... lymph nodes perhaps?

So I cook it up and it releases quite a bit of thin plasma-red liquid. After reading the ingredient list and looking at this soft mess ... like an idiot I taste it.

Man ... I think they left the saliva in the glands it had that awful, soft sliminess to it.

I figure maybe if I reduce it and cook it down it can be salvaged ... no it gets softer and more unctuous ... ick, ick, ick, ick, ick.

I really can’t tell you what it tastes like other than saliva with spices because the gag factor kept coming in play. Really, put this stuff on Fear Factor.

This is NOT chorizo. And if you have ever been unfortunate enough to buy it ... it is NOT chorizo. Go to a good Mexican carneceria and get some good chorizo. The worst chorizo I tried was so superior to this ... it was edible.

5 servings per container 210 calories each calories from fat 160 ... yeah, that’s calories I’ll never consume.

Who eats this stuff?

white people