Po-Boy Thread

I've got a hankering for a good sandwich and po-boys crossed my mind.
Never specifically made one before and I want to make a really good one.

What exactly is a po-boy comprised of? What bread, meats, veggies, sauces should I use?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UNEMy53Oq6Q?t=1m59s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bread: some good, kinda stale french bread

Meat: fried shrimp, or what ever sounds good to you

Serve it fully dressed with lettuce, pickle, tomato, and mayo. The best po boys are when the bread is a little tough and crumbly/flaky

I don't like tomato with prawns.

If I was going to have a shrimp sandwich it'd have red cabbage coleslaw, a chilli sauce; maybe a peri-peri and pickles.

Fried shrimp or scallops

shredded lettuce, cabbage, or coleslaw

good crusty baguette with some chew

Fuck me, you have no idea. I was working in Louisiana around 2006 or 2007, and my coworkers and I stopped at a poboy stand in the middle of nowhere between New Orleans and Laplace. I ordered a catfish poboy and I fuck you not it was one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten. Bread was perfect, flaky, not too tough. Catfish was very fresh, no muddy taste, fried perfectly. Fully dressed, mayo, tomatoes, lettuce, pickle.

For over a decade I've searched for a comparable sandwich, one that is even half as good as that roadside stand poboy. Best I've found is maybe a 6.5/10.

That god damned catfish poboy is my white whale.

Louisiana here, little known secret to the south, all the best food is served out of shacks and gas stations. Restaurants are for the tourists.

my favs buffalo shrimp with ranch

You want seafood fried, shrimp is the really popular one. Bread you want a good french roll.

Everything else is your taste.

Remoulade is 10/10 on a po-boy.

battered fried prawns are too delicate to withstand a baguette . you won't be able to appreciate their texture.

this is a bad idea for a sandwich

Can I get mine with chicken tendies?

It's America, what do you expect?

I don't have anywhere that imports bread from France.
Probably a question of logistics.

Hi. Any of you guys fancy giving a review on m restaurant. Man bites frog in Chorlton, Manchester.
Thanks in sdvanve

Think I'll go with shrimp, slaw, pickles, tomato and aioli tonight.

Remmy is 10/10 on everything

Old Tyme in Lafayette is pretty good

crawfish + the works on a 5 day old french loaf

Olde Tyme is fucking garbage that is coasting by on being a "tradition". Pop's makes innovative new spins on poboys while perfecting the classics.

Can confirm this. If a place has any kind of family name on the building, go in.
t. Baton Rouge

I'm staying in Abita Springs but I went into New Orleans yesterday. We went to mandinas and I got a catfish poboy. It was pretty good, but kinda pricy. We usually go to parkway, but it's always crowded. My dad and I usually split a shrimp and a roast beef.
Villagers in Maurice is easily the best poboy in the area.

Easy, get fluffy french bread from your supermarket. We don't really have that in Florida where I live now but Cuban bread kinda works too. Let it sit out for a little while
Fry some shrimp, crawfish, catfish, whatever you want. Roast beef IN GRAVY (I'm amazed how many people forget the gravy outside of new orleans) works well too.
Dressed with lettuce tomato mayo and pickles
That's literally it

>Bread
Soft roll or Hoagie

>Meats
Breaded and fried seafood, epecially lobster, shrimp or sessile shellfish (oysters, clams, etc.)

>Veggies
veggies? traditionlly none, but pickles and lettuce would be fine I guess.

>Sauces
Any vinegary hot sauce works well; Frank's, Crystal, Cholula etc.
Tartar sauce works well if you're not into hot.
Mayo if you're a faggot who like to suck dick.

t.shit taste

If your prawns are that delecate, they're not prawns, they're shrimp, and tiny 51/60 shrimp at that. A decent sized prawn falls in the 16/20 or larger category.

Fuckingbritbongs

>Tartar sauce works well if you're not into hot.
>Mayo if you're a faggot who like to suck dick.

Wew. Thinking tartar sauce doesn't contain mayo... is this what pleb believe?

I've never had one but I really want to try one with fried clams and shrimp

Pigs contain carbon, but eating char briquettes isn't going to be as satisfying as eating a pork dish.

Thanks. Try making a point next time.

A po' boy is literally "whatever cheap spare meat and veggies are laying around slapping on a roll"

In nola it doesn't matter what the filing is, what matters is the bread and dressing. French bread with the flaky outside is key. Mayo is 2nd most important. Then shredded lettuce and tomatoes. Lettuce has to be shredded or else the mayo will not mix with it and the filing right. Pickles optional.

If you get all that right you can throw just deli ham in it and call it a po boy. That's actually the most popular type, it's a very common working class lunch.

Friday is when you see people ordering the fried seafood.

Ilys Bistro on St Claude in Nola. It's right next to Gene's. Best cat po boy I've ever had.

>because mayo is EXACTLY the same as tartar sauce
GTFO you contrarian, no point making, extra chromosome-having, shitstain on the fabric of humanity.

>doesnt like mayo
>likes things with mayo in it
>RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEs because he's a faggot

Watch your language, your mom make take away some goodboy points.

Never said I don't like mayo. But it doesn't belong on a poboy. Hot sauce of some kind or Tartar sauce if you're the sort of person who can't handle hot sauce.

Mayo is for chicken sandwiches and burgers. A poboy is SPECIFICALLY a seafood sandwich. That means either a spicy sauce, a sour garlic sauce or tartar sauce. And I have a hard time believing that someone would waste Scampi on a poboy.

I had one with gator meat recently. It was pretty good.

One of the most disappointing things about my last visit to Louisiana was that they've stopped putting Remoulade on seafood po'boys in favor of mayonnaise or tartar sauce. It's a travesty. I grew up on oyster, alligator, shrimp, and crab po'boys with Remoulade, lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles. On fresh baked French rolls, of course. And Debris po'boys may have mayo, but I prefer just the jus.

Oh, also, if they don't have pic related on the table, it's not a good place.

This guy knows what's up.

>A mans Prawn.

>poboy is SPECIFICALLY a seafood sandwich
what is hot sausage
what is french fry poboy
what is salami, liver cheese, or fried chicken

i'm uptown, come fight me right now

>what is hot sausage
A fancy hot dog. Do you put Mayo on your hot dogs? Wierdo.

>what is french fry poboy
A carb-centric abomination. You eat fries with mayo? What are you, FRENCH?

>what is salami, liver cheese, or fried chicken
A regular sandwich. Rgular sandwiches are OK to put mayo on.

>i'm uptown, come fight me right now
I'll whoop your ass so bad you'll beg me to fuck you so I'll stop.

Its Gentrification. Lots of Northerners came in after Katrina and bought up lots of fouled property. They can't into Remy or spice in general

What if the hot dog is a chicken hot dog

Yeah, fuck mayo.

A nive garlic aioli or remoulade goes perfect on a poboy, though.

Hot dogs are hot dogs, whatever the protien source, spicing, size or consistency.

>Aioli
Italian for tartar sauce

>Remoulade
French for tartar sauce

A good roast beef poboy has always been my personal fav. I always get mine with just mayo, pickles and gravy. Get a Dang's root beer to wash it down and maybe some fries.

>no muddy taste
Likely farmed then.

>French for tartar sauce
Louisiana remoulade is different.
youtu.be/UNEMy53Oq6Q?t=1m59s

I make pic related a few times a year.

Crabby Jacks or Po Boy express in Ocean Springs, MS

>Likely farmed then.
Nah, probably just marinated in milk or buttermilk well before serving.

Are you saying farmed catfish doesn't have a muddy tasste? I assumed it would.

>blanching the shrimp
>salted ice bath
BRILLIANT!

>starts with Creole mustard (spicy-sour) or horseradish (spicy) and is finished with Tobasco sauce (spicy-sour)

So...a HOT SAUCE. My claim stands unrefuted.

>So...a HOT SAUCE

Nope.

A mustard or horseradish sauce....with a touch of hot sauce.

"Hot sauce" usually refers to some kind of pepper sauce blend where the pepper is the foundation ingredient, not something that's had hot sauce added to it.

It's a spicy sauce, the degree of spicyness is up to you. I personally cannot tolerate horseradich for some reason. I can eat habaneros and ghost peppers, but not horseradish.

Stop quibbling. Hot is hot, sour is sour and herbs are herbs.

I admit I'm not from the South, but my fishmonger informs me that a lot of it is farmed simply to make it taste less muddy.
Also you can harvest them at a particular size.

The best bread for a po-boy is a leidenheimer baguette. If you can't obtain one, then you might as well fuck off because then you're just eating some bitch ass sandwich than wishes it was a po-boy.