What is your favourite Bible passage?

What is your favourite Bible passage?

>So faith, hope, love remain; these three. But the greatest of these is love.

Nice of you to go ahead and offer yours.

2 Corinth. 5:10

>look I can do it too

John 1:1-5 is mine.

Gen 1:2

Truly a great book desu

Deuteronomy 10:16

Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Ecclesiastes 1 literally gives me goosebumps.

It's really fitting that the holy book of a religion that gives a solution to nihilism contains the most beautiful exposition of nihilism in the history of world literature.

>The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it

I really really like this one.

I considered my family always to be pretty devout. I wonder what they'd think of

>literally John 3:31-36

7“Hear, O My people, and I will speak;
O Israel, I will testify against you;
I am God, your God.

8“I do not reprove you for your sacrifices,
And your burnt offerings are continually before Me.

9“I shall take no young bull out of your house
Nor male goats out of your folds.

10“For every beast of the forest is Mine,
The cattle on a thousand hills.

11“I know every bird of the mountains,
And everything that moves in the field is Mine.

12“If I were hungry I would not tell you,
For the world is Mine, and all it contains.

13“Shall I eat the flesh of bulls
Or drink the blood of male goats?

14“Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving
And pay your vows to the Most High;

Specifically verses 10 11 and 12. I first heard them when I was still a somewhat edgy fedora who still had enough respect to allow my dad to drag me to church with him. The pastor was an old hard-line Lutheran fundamentalist whose sermons I had grown to love in that they were immensely more rhetorically satisfying than anything I had ever heard in school. I have vivid memories of one day where he read out those verses in a particularly powerful manner and it has stayed with me since.

Did someone say Ecclesiastes?

>Because in much wisdom there is much indignation: and he that addeth knowledge, addeth also labour.

Tolstoy gives really great description of what it's like to read the Bible seriously for the first time in Resurrection.

It was really a life changing event when I read Ecclesiastes for the first time.

Leviticus 20:13

Jesus' whole lecture is great. It's a pretty good reminder that Christianity takes the idea of God as an omniscient entity seriously.

Timothy 2 : 12
I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

John 11:35

Its easily the most profound statement in the entire Bible.

Ezekiel 23:19-20

Voice trans: 19-Yet she went deeper into prostitution when she remembered how she played the whore when she was young in the land of Egypt. 20-She lusted for lovers whose genitals were as large as a donkey's and whose emissions were like a horse's.

NIV trans: 19-Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20-There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emissions was like that of horses.

NASB trans: 19- Yet she multiplied her harlotries, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the harlot in the land of Egypt. 20-She lusted after their paramours, whose flesh is like the flesh of donkeys and whose issue is like the issue of horses.

I have the NLT and it's roughly the same, but the variance in the NASB is interesting. I'm sure the KJV occludes this message of GOD to his prophet Ezekiel. I like finding things like this and seeing how various scholars try to 'tweak' or massage the message.

>Paul never missing an occasion to insert a claim to apostolic authenticity
never gets old

John 13:30
If you understand John's theology, Judas becomes the radical expression of nothingness.

λαβὼν οὖν τὸ ψωμίον ἐkεῖνος ἐξῆλθεν εὐθύς· ἦν δὲ νύξ.

>ἦν δὲ νύξ.

Once you realize the multiple tiered levels of genius this is.

He was tricked. Defeated. Forced to a strange land and entirely at the mercy of the City. He was shaken, torn from his illusion that there was a good reason to trust anyone for its own sake. This period of time represents great strife and struggle, but also of learning. In this period he obtained a new Rig and enjoyed the second Darkness of Soul. These would be indicators for a later conflict.

Now look, look to the genius of what he has done. He has taken the symbol, the epitome of overconfidence by his enemy and has grasped it firmly. He has taken the disillusionment of religion by his "devout" family. John 3:31 is a direct reference to the thesis of Catholicism. 3:31 represents the symbol of his resistance and what has he done? He's bought a new Rig. A better one. A nicer one. He's enjoyed the third Darkness of soul. He's averted and disarmed and all without giving way to an iota of anger.

This is remarkably structured. Holy shit.

Could you take that step by step? because from the passage I'm not getting any of that.

Today it's Micah 6:8.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good;
and what doth the Lord require of thee,
but to do justly, and to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with thy God?

Jesus wept

Luke 17:20-21

And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Job 7: 6-8

>My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle, and are spent without hope. O remember that my life is wind: mine eye shall no more see good. The eye of him that hath seen me shall see me no more: thine eyes are upon me, and I am not.

If reddit doesn't leave I swear to god

I just finished Ecclesiastes and so far my favorite books have been

1. Ecclesiastes
2. Job
3. 2 Samuel
4. Genesis

Am I a pleb?

Ecclesiastes 7:28
while I was still searching but not finding-- I found one upright man among a thousand, but not one upright woman among them all.

I like that bit in genesis I think where god decrees that no human being shall ever again live past the age of 120, yet we have documented evidence that a few human beings have eclipsed that, which lets us know that we can totally reject the whole business.

the word became flesh bit from john

and romans 1

Leviticus 19:27. Anything else is pleb tier.

2 Kings 2:23-25

Can we all agree that John is the best book?

wow, im overwhelmed by your command of theology

Micah has some good quotes
my favorite
>But as for me, I will watch
>expectantly for the Lord
>I will wait for the God of my salvation
>my God will hear me

dammit forgot to put verse

it's Micah 7:7

Not an argument.

Proverbs 5:1-8 My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding: That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge. For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil: But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword. Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell. Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them. Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth. Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house:

2 Corinthians 5:14. Every day is judgment day. The kingdom of heaven is with us.

Isaiah 45:7. "I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things."

James 2
14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[e] and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

Salvation by grace and faith fags btfo

If you like that,

Thomas 3

(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

roasties btfo

Matthew 5:44

No mention of Matthew 6:28??

Well 6:28-29

Opening of Ecclesiastes is one of the most sublime passages in the Bible and all of literature

>Though I have searched repeatedly, I have not found what I was looking for. Only one out of a thousand men is virtuous, but not one woman!

Ecclesiastes 7:28

Roasties BTFO.

Thomas (56)
Jesus said, "Whoever has become acquainted with the world has found a corpse, and the world is not worthy of the one who has found the corpse."

>Matthew 6:28

a beautiful one

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

John 11:35:

Jesus wept.

Hosea 3:1

>The LORD said to me again, ‘Go, love a woman who has a lover and is an adulteress, just as the Lord loves the people of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes.’

Enough of this bible stuff. What's your favorite sentence in the Count of Monte Cristo? I'm sure this will spark a discussion.

Since we're doing apocryphal books

Gospel of Philip 56

>If a blind person and one who can see are in the dark, there is no difference between them. When the light comes, then the one who sees will see the light, and the one who is blind will stay in the darkness.

John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

So many beautiful intricacies of meaning here. For me, it represents a baseline philosophy precipitating all of literary theory.

mfw the OGs anticipated and solved existentialism 104000 weeks ago

Job 38:7

>When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The book of Job is the best poetry in the Bible. Ecclesiastes is one of the best wisdom texts of the bible. Some parts of Jesus teachings on the gospels are also great.

As for poetry again, there are good bits of it in the Prophets.

But when it comes down to teachings that will make you live better, more happy and calm, the main Buddhism suttas are better than anything in the Bible.

>I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Ecclesiastes 1:16-1:18.

Even as a secular person, this passage makes me feel.

Really like Exodus 15:3

The Lord is a man of War.
The Lord is His Name.

Prologue of John, the whole resurrection of Lazarus chapter, God's closing speech in Job, the whole Abraham cycle is pretty underrated too I think.

In the original New Testament, the Lazarus episode appeared in two gospels, but Clement excised it from Matthew or Mark, I can't remember which.

Absolutely glorious. Would love to hear just a few things more from you about this verse

The 120 years was about the prophecy of the Flood

Noah lived to be over 500 years old

The entirety of the 14th chapter of the Gospel according to John.

If God meant to interfere in the degeneracy of mankind would he not have done so by now?

Ezekiel 25:17

Cold blooded shit.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, really all of Ecclesiastes though.

Not currently a Christian.

Didn't mean to reply

wow this board is some hot trash.

>But when it comes down to teachings that will make you live better, more happy and calm, the main Buddhism suttas are better than anything in the Bible.

Because they were written with the purpose of being studied and applied. In comparison many bits of the Bible are either highly particular to the cultures of the time or else just not presented in a way a person can find immediately practicable, you more or less absorb it through constant revisiting and reflection.

For example Jesus taught in parables and expected the disciples and others to live it out then pass their knowledge through their own deeds. Its just a different style.

"And the man who commits adultery with another man's wife, he who commits adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death" (Leviticus, 20.10)

>her end is bitter as wormwood
what did God mean by this

John's Gospel opening, the Magnificat, Psalm 51, Psalm 139 (138) and the whole Eclo 39.

2 Corinthians 4:18

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Austin 3:16:
"I just whooped your ass"

The god delusion.

>edgelords shitposting

yup its eurotime

Same