What is one book you recommend?

I want to get into reading but I need some recommendations. Sure I can go to "Veeky Forums's top 100 books" but there are so many options. So what is one book you recommend?

Books I've read so far:
-Devil in the White City
-On the Beach
-The Pearl
-Of Mice and Men
-Fahrenheit 451 (favorite one so far)

P.S.
I didnt read many of the "classic" books usually read in high school (i.e. A Clockwork Orange, Lord of the Flies, etc.) because my English classes kept assigning fucking WW2 books, excluding Slaughter House 5..

Heart of Darkness

One of the best novels I've ever read

Wuthering Heights. A great masterpiece that is easy to understand and doesn't really require any prior reading.

Or this, if you're looking for something a little easier. Sorry for posting two.

Stoner

Nah it's fine, as long as it isn't a giant list then it's ok. Thanks!

what were some of the WWII books? I would recommend the books Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami and a Don DeLillo novel, probably Point Omega which might have some parts you'll want to slow down to be able to digest/understand better around the middle.

skylark

how was the devil in the white city?

also, if you liked fahrenheit 451 maybe give 1984 a try?

Mother Courage and Her Children

seconded Stoner is sublime. Also I would try to give the classics a go. The penguin classics translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey are pretty good. If thats not your thing, I really enjoyed Sidhartha and the unbearable lightness of being.

In Search of Lost Time

Learn French first

Norwegian Wood is a pretty boring (and, to be honest, a bit shit) starting point for Murakami. Wind Up Bird or Kafka or maybe Hardboiled Wonderland would be much better choices

I love East of Eden, its pretty long (for a newer reader) but is definitely worth it.

Halldor Laxness's Independent People is great.

Start from the very beginning with The Illiad and work your way up.

Brave New World

>he didn't do this
Don't listen to this psued

I really like PKD

I'd recommend The Moviegoer by Walker Percy, but I don't know if anyone would back me up on that. Also check out Upton Sinclair.

Gets a little excessive, but I love that book