RUM THREAD

RUM THREAD

I'm new to rum and I'm drinking this right now, it's bretty damn good, what else do you recommend?

Butter rum ice cweam :3

Rum and raisin is better

Here in Australia, that's not allowed to be labelled 'rum' as it doesn't meet minimum standards.

It's labelled 'spiced gold' instead.

Now, I drink single malt scotch or vodka, and I don't generally care for rum. But there is one rum I actually really like- Bundaberg Red. It's not spiced, but it's very, very smooth and flavourful.

Good luck finding it outside Australia though.

Op here,I had Bundaberg before this but not the red version, it was still really good

Good to hear mang. Regular Bundaberg is okay but the Red is amazing.

Brugal and Pusser's red.

Honestly it takes a special kind of person to like bundy. More so if you didn't grow up with it. If you're new to rum try getting an appleton estate. Doesn't matter too much which one right now- just to get an idea of their dna.

Kraken!!! You gotta try original recipe kraken at least once. You may not want much else after that.

Regular Bundy, yes. But the Red is very smooth and mellow- has everything that makes Bundy good and removes everything that makes it shit.

I'd rate Bundy Red as one of the best straight sipping rums in the world.

In terms of cheap stuff Appleton Estate is pretty good. Zaya and kracken aren't bad either as far as spiced rums go.

I got a bottle of Legendario Ron Dorado recently because it's the cheapest amber available in my country. I like it, but not as much as I liked the aroma of the rum I bought to fill my minibar that broke in my suitcase. RIP

Also I always liked Myers dark, but I'm sure people would call me a pleb for it

You started with the worst one. I'm not a fan of "spiced" rum in general but Morgan is practically undrinkable.

this

Cant go wrong with some Malibu desu lads

For its price, I quite like Myers Original Dark. Maybe not a sipping rum, but a funky, molasses-forward jamaican more than adequate for mixing. I'm looking forward to making som hot buttered rum with it sometime. I enjoyed it in Rum Hot Toddy, and it makes for a great Cuba Libre with 2/3 of a lime and some brown sugar (I like to add some Angostura as well).

Not that there's anything wrong with enjoying it, but calling Malibu rum is like calling Créme de Menthe a type of vodka or Grand Marnier a brandy. It was invented mostly to make Piña Coladas without keeping the actual ingredients on hand. But do you, user!

i like diplomatico and plantation, tried some appleton estate one and didn't like

Kraken tastes like motor oil, the only reason people buy it is the bottle

Pshhh, if you're a pleb.

makes a breddy gud rum n coke

Second this. Its only ok when mixed with something else to hide the taste. Ive had whisky that tasted like a better rum than kraken

this is my rum progress chart
captain morgan ages

Best stuff per cost.
Only cost a few dollars than Cap Morgan and is 10x the quality

I drank a whole bottle of the Bacardi brand Havana club ripoff a few nights ago. Was pretty Good

PUSSERS

>Bacardi brand
Bad. That's not the same brand. It's an American imitation made in Peurto Rico.
Get the stuff from Cuba

Morgan is the kind of rum you drink at parties. Check if you can find Matusalem and or Flor de Caña Rum. Those are a bit more expensive but taste better.

Also stay away from Bacardi all your life

Old J

Okay but Kraken -is- like, frat boy party tier bottom shelf rum

Non plebs drink Plantation

How do the aged cuban rums (especially Havana Club) compare to, for example, jamaican aged rums lik Appleton Estate? I've got medium and dark (dark=/=aged), but am looking for a nice aged rum.

>Bad. That's not the same brand. It's an American imitation made in Peurto Rico.
I wonder which part of "Bacardi brand Havana club ripoff" makes you think that poster is not already aware of this fact?

The part where I'm drinking Havana Club

Who /Eldorado/ here

>Get the stuff from Cuba
Can't, they don't see it yet in Americuck

Thank god they don't.
Cuban products are supercheap in Cucknada.

If you're in the states, there's this place in Ocean City, MD that makes some good shit.

I've been getting the 7 lately as my go to dark rum, I'm lucky that the staff at the pub in my bumfuck nowhere town have decent taste and I can get something decent out here. I wonder how well it stands up in ratings?

>Cucknada
Next time I find myself drunken on the streets of Montreal I'm gonna pick up a bottle.

I live in Montreal now
Great city
Pretty much any SAQ will have some Havana Club

Nice, Montreal is a great City.
I visit once a year from Americuck to visit family, and stage at restaurants. Last few restaurants I staged at we're Liverpool House and Joe Beef

I'm too much of a poorfag to eat out at places like that.
Food here is great though. Even in the small places.

You want a secret place with amazing food?
Try Iris on Jarry. It's el Salvadorian. Probably as authentic as you can get this far north.
There's also Depanneur Pick-Up for the real Montreal experience. It's just a hipster dep that sells good sandwiches. It's in the stereotypical Montreal neighborhood. What with the wrought iron staircases and stuff.

You probably won't remember any of this next time you're here, but you can't go wrong if you stay off the beaten path a bit.

>'m too much of a poorfag to eat out at places like that
So am I, I work a day for free and they usually set me up with a foie gras feast as payment.
Thanks for the recommendations user, I wore them down in my travel book. Next summer I'll be sure to try them out.
I do like Shwartzs and Wilenskys, even though they are Jewish tourist memes.

Schwartz's is a corporate sell out, it's good, but hollow. Wilenksky's is legit.

I assume you know the meme beer places too?

>Schwartz's is a corporate sell out
Yeah I heard Celine Dionne bought it a few years ago.
I do love Wilenskys, the counter help are always so nice
>Meme beer places
No, which ones? Are they good

I did go to Austin Pied de Cochin once, it wasn't very good.
I ate a foie stuffed pigs foot, drank 4 beers, 2 glasses of absinthe, and cake. Then I puked all over their patio and left.

>Austin Pied de Cochin
I meant Au Pied de Cochon

Never been at "Osti pied de Cochon"
Biked by their stupid front more times than I can count, though. You'll have to tell me whether it's any good. Going down, preferably.

The memiest of the meme is Dieu du Ciel. It's THE brewery to go to. Meme or not, it is very fucking good. Busy as fuck due to that though.
Cheval Blanc is what you want to go for that isn't memey but is wholly Montreal. Great place.

Unibroue is the beer brand here that's the best. You can buy it at most bars and almost all grocerie stores. Try Don de Dieu or Fin du Monde. Both 9%+ beers. But man are they good. Anything by Unibroue gets my stamp of approval. Alchimiste is another local brand. Not as good, but better than most of whatever else you can get it. You can buy Alchimiste at most deps in cases.

Lastly, if you like meme cocktails, you can try La Distillerie. It's very university hipster focused. They serve their shit in fucking mason jars.
But it is the go to place for mixed drinks.

Sorry for rambling, bro. Been having some rum.

>Sorry for rambling, bro. Been having some rum.
No problem, I love the recommendations. You have given me many good places for my next visit.
Au Pied Cochon is the biggest meme in restaurant I've ever been, do not try, it was also very expensive.
I do love Unibroue, we can finally get Fin du Monde here in my state, I drink it often.
I googled la Distillerie and Cheval Blanc, these sound amazing and I can't wait to try them.

Seconded, zaya is pretty good for the price

Not much on rum but will like any dessert with this stuff in it.

i disagree, i bought this shit because the bottle looked cool, but honestly, it's way to harsh with no redeeming qualities. Calico jack is my go to for the cheapiness, but morgan is king.

Need to try some more of their offerings, the pineapple rum is based

Capt Morgan is terrible--it tastes like chemicals. You should avoid "spiced" rums in general. Sailor Jerry's and Kraken are also not great, but not as shit as Capt.

Rum's cool because you can get legit good stuff without too much $$, as opposed to Scotch. The ones below are mostly under $25.

Recs:
Rhum Barbancourt
Diplomatico, and Diplomatico Reserva
Appleton Estate 12 year

Could you please compare similar spirits in the same price range? I have my suspicions that in Aus the price of rum inflated more than other spirits.

I want to order a specific rum online because none of my local stores carry it. the rum is $20/bottle. However, the cheapest shipping option on a website i looked at was almost as much as the rum itself. Is shipping alcohol really this expensive? Do i have to be at home and show ID and sign for it when it arrives? can I have a local booze store order it for me? I just turned 21 so i don't know about these things.

You may find an online store that offers free shipping after a certain amount. Get friends in for a group order of stuff they can't find locally or simply order bulk rum.

whats a good rum in the uk? preferably something i can get from tesco

i like bacardi oakheart best for the price. pretty good shit pick up a bottle

Flor de Caña

This shit is great. Had it in Spain years go and then my local Walmart sold it for a while but now it's gone again.

It's a personal thing but pineapple makes me gag unless it's masked really well by something else, I can't do it.

Anyone else mix a spoonful of kratom into their rum shots for the extra buzz?