So what's the deal with crayfish?

so what's the deal with crayfish?

Those are crawfish

I fucking hate crawfish and even moreso anyone who buys it. Crawfish season is the absolute worst time of the year, and the fat rednecks and Asians who think they're suitable as a casual meal for one have ended up spanning the season from December to August. Then, after they demand crawfish year round, they get pissed when they can only purchase them for $6 a pound at a tiny size in the middle of December.

Fuck crawfish and everything about them.

t. southern fishmonger

>Deliciousness from every 30% you shell

It tastes good as fuck but it still surprises me people are this determined

Just to make sure, crawfish = saltwater and crawdad = freshwater right?

delicious bottom feeders, sadly too expensive where I live.
why do you ask? or to be more precise, what specifically did you want to know

it's a social thing here, you get drunk and make a fool of yourself infront of friends and family, then end up fucking some not too distant relative

shut your pie hole!! I love crayfish.
No, just eat crayfish and toast with it and pie

>Just to make sure, crawfish = saltwater and crawdad = freshwater right?
No difference between crawfish and crawdad, and often also called mudbugs and crayfish. Regional, generational, cultural differences will account for the name. There is some use of "crayfish" to be same as crawfish as well as an incorrectly synonym for langostine, which are saltwater smallish lobster family crustaceans and actually not the same.

>I fucking hate crawfish and even moreso anyone who buys it. Crawfish season is the absolute worst time of the year, and the fat rednecks and Asians who think they're suitable as a casual meal for one have ended up spanning the season from December to August. Then, after they demand crawfish year round, they get pissed when they can only purchase them for $6 a pound at a tiny size in the middle of December.
>Fuck crawfish and everything about them.
>t. southern fishmonger
Ignoramus/Poorfag. Did you ever dine out with any money, ever? Money talks in service, not excuses and internal rage. You need to just get out of the service industry already. Nearly anyone buying seafood is not buying just another rotated protein to eat for dinner, but making a special purchase for health reasons and a nutritional diet lifestyle or else for celebratory gustatory reasons. The latter are the kinds of customers that pay for whatever they want when they want it and so not as aware of seasons, as a fisherman would. A nice explanation is all that is needed, along with your recommendation for alternative niceties, whether it be blue crabs they can also boil up in zatarains crab boil/old bay as they wish, or get them the Joes stone crabs mustard dip recipe, and suggest that as a nice celebration. Provide your customers with ideal buying seasons for seafood in a nice pamphlet if your social skills suck, which I suspect they do.

They're literally in every shallow stream in America. No idea why people buy them when putting out a trap with bait will yield dozens per trap, every time. I'm in "upstate" NY (30 miles north of Manhattan) and regularly trapped crayfish as a child.

first off, crawfish.

secondly, dont ask questions

young nigga trapping

This neger gets it

You can go outside of town where I live (Rocky Mountains, specifically in MT.) and find crawfish in the mudholes. Tried cooking them once, and they were fine, just not great. I'm thinking I didn't cook them right or just weren't as good as the ones in the south.

Crawdads*

You might be the biggest fag of them all.

Delicious little mini lobsters that are still cheap

they taste like a combination of crab and lobster, and aren't good unless they're from Louisiana. some people don't like them because the shell to meat ratio is a little high, but i think it's worth it. i'd eat them as my only food source for the rest of my life if i could.

They're pretty good pulled out of a California rice paddy

I don't know, one tried to block my path yesterday on the way to work but I drove over him, saw him in the mirror still standing there looking like this

Exactly. Crawfish is one of those things that's great for bingeing on once in a while. You get messy with your friends at big informal feast, or you fry 'em up for po'boys, or toss them in a roux for etoufee.

You heard stories of medieval banquets where food is covering literally the whole table and people sit and eat and drink for hours.

If you do a boil right it's great, it feels like you're at one of those.

I fucking love crawfish but I see you have your reasons.

kek

Lmao

This

I chortle'd.

Crayyyy lmao

Can someone read pill me on how to eat these shits?

mud bugs

Pull off head, suck out brains, pull meat out of tail.

So snap the tail in half and then rip out the meat? I had been trying to break the head then break the ribs part then break the tail

Go at it any way you want to, if that's your jive.
I'm sure there load of methods, important thing is enjoying it, and not letting anything go to waste

stomp with your cleats

Twist the head from the tail, pop open the front few segments of the tail with your fingernail, unwrap and discard freed events, then squeeze the end of the tail to pop the meat into your mouth.

Creepy cartoon. I get the same feeling from the smiling southern white enjoying himself as I get from DPRK propaganda cartoons showing happy North Korean citizens celebrating their leader

White rurals seem less sinister when they're in their normal state, with a menacing scowl on their face, 3 days of stubble, beads of sweat on their forehead, and holding a gun and/or a bible

I suspect severe inbreeding, few other explanations for tiny beady eyes, lobeless ears and 4 fingered flipper-hands.

put it in your mouth whole
chew well

Apparently they are not shrimp.

Sounds comfy. What does it taste like? Similar to lobster?

I'm not a fan of lobster desu I think it's overrated and all the flavor is in the seasoning (i.e butter you dip it in).

It ain't Cray and it certainly ain't fish

It tastes like most shellfish, I'd say the main muscles are rather close to shrimp actually. Claw muscle meat is close-ish to white fish/lobster and the rest just tastes of dill thanks to being boiled in it.

Less dry than lobster.
Note, they are room temperature. Cooked in a salty water with some dill and beer and stuff. Just sucking those juices out of them is tasty af. Also, the side-dishes are great. Västerbottenpaj (tasty pie with an aged cheese), breads of different kinds. Spiced schnaps, beer.

Only problem is that all of this shit is pretty expensive. Like 35 USD per kg for fresh Swedish crayfish, down to 12 USD for the frozen Chinese and Turkish varieties. If you want to run a party for 10 people, and really splurge, you can easily spend 1000 USD.

Jesus Christ. At my cottage, I'd you look anywhere in shallow water there are like 3-4 of them. I'd imagine if I set traps I could catch a couple hundred in a few days.

you eat them like peanuts basically, peanuts of the sea

lobster nuts

He died for his people's sins.

They are cheap and easy to catch, easy to cook, taste really nice, nice texture look nice on the table.

Swedish beer cooked with dill or the Crawdad recipes from the american bayous are all delectable.

Same thing ffs

No.
They are synonymous.

First off, you are clearly out of your depth, Johnny.
Second off, stay off the internet on a school night.

they cray cray

No.
if you like to call it that go ahead.

How is that different from the American South?

How do these things taste anyway?
Like shirmp? lobster? crab?

Yeah pal you explain that to 30 Asians who can barely speak English every day.

>CWAHFIHH?
>we can either sell by the full sack for $1.49 per pound, or to your requested weight for $2.49 per pound
>ONE FORY NINH?
>yes, for the whole sack of 35 lbs., not one broken down to a smaller size, those are $2.49 per pound
>TWO FORY NINH? OH ONE FORY NINH?
>repeat for twenty minutes before they argue with the family, order, and then realize the price goes up after you spend five minutes breaking open a sack and scooping out the weight they wanted
>as they drag them to and from the cart repeatedly, crawfish juice drips all over the floor

>Poorfag
$14.53 per hour for a college McJob is good enough for me. I'm not rich, but I don't need to be living at home.

I have never met anyone in the 5 years I've worked in fish markets that didn't hate crawfish.

>closing up department
>someone slams on the counter and whistles like they're calling to a dog to get my attention
>it's 9:45 at night
>i'm covered in chemicals with my arm halfway down a drain, sanitizing the department
>shouting at me because all the equipment is running and the glass in the case is pulled up because i've sanitized it out
>"I'LL TAKE A HALF-SACK OF CRAWFISH"
>say no
>"WHY NOT"
>"we're closed, i'm sanitizing the department right now"
>"YOUR STORE CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT"
>"department hours are 8 AM to 8 PM
>"THAT'S BULLSHIT GET A MANAGER DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW"
>call down manager
>manager says no
>REEEEEEEEEEEE
>manager finally gives in
>I flat out say i'm not opening a sack
>manager tries to
>spills crawfish everywhere
>tried to scoop them up
>gives them to customer
>customer immediately complains about size and price
>"YOU JUST LOST A VALUABLE CUSTOMER, I'M GOING TO X"
>i'm stuck cleaning that shit up after blatantly violating OSHA regulations and selling crawfish off a chemical-coated floor
>find crawfish for weeks because those things can escape alcatraz
>customer files complaint on me

It was all your fault dumbass

Yes

these people are so smooth
crawfish keeps the skin FRESH

Isn't crawfish season like, the month of February and the first half of March or some shit? It's a notoriously thin season.

That said I look forward to it every year. Fuck people forcing demand off-season because it just means the actual season will have smaller crayfish.

It's late-April through June. But as I said before, I get them in to my department in the middle of December, and usually don't stop selling them until July or August.

it's called crayfish and no, it's a hydration thing. drink more water :)

Did you flush them?

Crawfish boils are fucking awesome down here. On a good day I can easily kill 5-10 pounds of crawfish myself. While the actual crawfish are good. the sides are also where it's at. A good boil will have corn, potatoes, usually mushrooms, heads of garlic and more that's boiled in the same liquid as the crawfish. That stuff with a nice cold beer makes for an absolutely delicious meal.

Fuuuuuck. Want so bad

dammit i was beat

So is no one eating the meat in the claws? I know most of them have tiny ones but some of them are pretty sizable. I guess it's too much of a hassle.

Generally it's way, WAY too much of a hassle. Especially when you get into a groove of crawfish eating. Now there are times when they'll have big claws and I'll at least try, but for the most part it's just not worth it. I know some of my friends save the claws and tail shells to try making a spicy crawfish stock.