How do i into philosophy

I used to think I was an intelligent person, until I encountered philosophy.
It made me realise that I am, in fact, a brainlet who knows very little about anything

So, how do I into philosophy??

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

START

WITH

>brainlet who knows very little about anything
That's also true of anyone with a philosophy doctorate. Study sciences or art if you want to actually get some knowledge.

>It made me realise that I am, in fact, a brainlet who knows very little about anything

No need to read anything, you've already achieved the philosophical mindset you need. Now go forth and be nice and humble in life.

THE

MEMEZ

Just watch Crash Course Philosophy and then plato.stanford.edu the topics/people for more info.

You don't actually have to read philosophical texts. They're mostly boring and overly confusing. These youtube videos and easily readable secondary sources should be enough to persuade people into thinking you've read the books.

Actually to expand on this idea, you're also squeezing in much more information by doing as that user suggests than you would otherwise. Reading the original source often times just creates this very vapid self in a way that can't be fixed unless he jumps to yet another original source to drown himself in.

It's quite the shame really, how so many become [author]ists by touching the source.

This is bait, right?
I want to believe that it is

Everything that you disagree with is bait. Everything that you view as right, is right.
This is what you wanted to hear, but somehow you will still be disappointed.

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1

I don't really understand what you want.

Are you struggling to actually understand philosophy books or struggling to actually think philosophically yourself? Both are quite different.

It's very easy to read philosophy books and understand what they're trying to say, that's the whole point of them, they were literally written to help you understand different ways of thinking.

The hard part is thinking philosophically independently and coming up with your own ideas.

>philosophy is just randum x3 shitposting in hopes someone takes you seriously or some retards create a cult around your views
whoa

Basically yeah.

There's a very fine line between "philosopher" and "writing your thoughts in shit at a mental hospital"

I'm reading this and enjoying it, although I know nothing about philosophy too. I'm sure Veeky Forums hates it but I'm only reading for fun

Pretty accurate.

Both, I suppose

Its good famalam

Reading this now also. Does anyone know any good secondary Veeky Forums on Plato or the Stoics?

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

He has a hate boner for certain philospers like hegel and nietszche, but everything from before kant is gucchi

>hate boner
Oh poor widdle baby got his feefees hurt?

docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

Should've worded it better, his hate for them, that I'm not affected by on a ''personal'' level, as I am no fan of them, clearly makes parts of his book too subjective for an introduction, as his criticism of them are more like an incoherent rant than actual criticism.

I'm actually reading through a very similar book, "The Story of Philosophy" by Brayn Magee.

It'd be interesting to see what the differences are in these two books, as they're both often recommended for a good overview of western philosophy.

Dont read philosophy books, they are boring, the author bends the translations to make it say what he wants and they are too long, just download some socrates dialogues, maybe gorgias or something like that, if you like it then read some more, when you finally understand socrates, who basically repeates himself in all of the dialogues, move to plato, then to aristotle and so on

>translations

Does anyone have any useful charts on the matter?
>inb4 start with the Greeks
Where do i start with them?

The only person who got his 'feefees' hurt was Russell himself, being of a different school of philosophy is not warranted to get so annoyed like he did.

You don't NEED to start with the greeks

Veeky Forums hates it because it's HURR BIASED without realising that reading biased philosophical texts is the best way to engage with ideas

But you need context to realize if and why they are biased, how is someone reading an INTRODUCTION to philosophy going to know what the "non-biased" interpretation of fucking hegel is?

>look up Ancient Greece: A Political, Social and Cultural History
>it costs fucking 40 pounds

unf

Thanks user that was quite comforting

No, you study all things. Not just specialize in one field. Genuine knowledge is understanding a certain field and also understanding its affects on other fields.

get this

Idk I go to a decent University that's pretty strong in philosophy, linguistics (top 15 in the world), neuroscience, cognitive science, computer science, and math. As one would probably expect, we have a strongly analytic philosophy department, but anyway it produces a decent output in game theory, social choice theory, and logic, and there's a lot of interdepartmental cooperation between the philosophy, linguistics, and computer science departments on those topics - which are basically branches of math.

Moreover, a lot of the top schools for math have research groups that unites the philosophy, math, and computer science departments (e.g. the top one in the world, the Institute for Logic, Language, and Computation in Amsterdam). We see the same sort of stuff at Carnegie Mellon and Princeton with Homotopy Type Theory and Martin-Lof's work on intuitionistic type theory, or for that matter, Saul Kripke's work on modal logic, set theory, and philosophy of language.I could literally list dozens of example. World class philosophy, linguistics, mathematics, and computer science go hand in hand. Shoot, just check out the n-category cafe, and you'll see what I mean.

Aside from math and logic, a ot of philosopher nd philosophy departments have close ties to their fellow psychology, cognitive science, and neuroscience departments (e.g. at Berkeley and NYU).

This. I was flabbergasted by his seemingly juvenile criticism and attitude toward Nietzsche.

follow a yale course that touches on the philosophy you're interested in. big fan of their 'philosophy and science of human nature' video series. do the readings, they should be easily found.

very interdisciplinary; it touches on psychology, cog science, literature, and of course philosophy. plato, hume, etc. make it something like a 'greatest hits' introduction to ethical philosophy. very manageable yet also substantial courseload.

i would also watch their history courses: ancient greek history, fall of rome to early middle ages, etc. should give you enough context for you to dive into ancient philosophy if you so choose.

good luck

And then when you have a conversation with someone who is actually knowledgeable you get irrevocably btfo. Yeah, sounds like a great idea..

Magee version is much better. Russell's is literal autism and has a clear bias against certain philosophers like an user said before.

Not philosophy but since i'm range banned from posting threads I want to ask, has anyone read Freud?

Is he accessible? Thinking of buying The Freud Reader.

Also, after I finish The Iliad (halfway through) and The Odyssey, what next? Plato?

Jung > Freud

Basically this

>after I finish The Iliad (halfway through) and The Odyssey, what next?
Hesiod

>lists math departments
>?????
Most philosophy degrees are basically a course in historiography. I'm a grad math student myself and have had more productive discussions with fellow mathematicians with a side interest in philosophy than with 'philosophers' endlessly recycling and regurgitating someone else's words, yet unable to apply basic set theory.

>tfw reading philosophy made me realize that I'm smarter than I thought

>So, how do I into philosophy??
easy

>start with Hume
>realize you can't be sure about anything, not even causality
>be nearly driven mad
>give up because we don't know anything for sure
>live a happy live

seems like theres a 50/50 chance after
>give up because we don't know anything for sure
between
>live a happy life
and
>suicide

Honestly the best way to understand philosophers these days is through memes. You have to have a basic understanding of their thought in order to get the references, but after you do so the constant repetition and allusion to certain ideas gets their main theories into your head.

GR-