Just ordered my first charcoal grill (pic related). Planning on grilling some ribeye; any tips?

Just ordered my first charcoal grill (pic related). Planning on grilling some ribeye; any tips?

Also, are there any must have accessories to purchase?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html
amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/extreme_steak.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GzLvqCTvOQY
consumerreports.org/food-safety/wire-grill-brush-danger/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

get a charcoal chimney, wire brush, tongs, metal spatula, and some lighter fluid

Pretty much all of this except lighter fluid. Go for some tinder or something instead.

Basically, OP, get your coals really nice and hot (let them burn until they're mostly white and really glowing), then bank to one side. Get some air though them until they're super hot, then put the steak directly over them to sear- then move it to the other side and lid the grill to finish with indirect heat. And don't forget to rest that shit.

Return it and get a gas one.

Is the grate it includes capable of decent searing? I've seen some talk about people using an additional sear grate?

Nice try, Hank.

Basic seasoning on your ribeye, brush, tongs, spatula, you'll be fine. You'll love it in the summer. It keeps your kitchen cooler and cleaner. I grill nearly everything from spring to fall. Steak, burgers, chicken, pork chops, shrimp on a skewer. You'll love it.

you fucking nigger

Gas fucking sucks. I've replaced my burners on a goddamn expensive jenn air and they're failing again. The stainless shell is still good so I'm going to drill some air intake holes in the bottom and just start using charcoal.

I don't mind using lighter fluid. the gas is burned off by the time you cook and if you use a charcoal chimney, you won't need the fluid.
make sure your utensils are long. those coals get fucking hot
your grate should be good for a few seasons at least
now that your a charcoal cooker, make fun of/ act superior towards anyone using propane

These lighter cubes are an absolute must along with a chimney starter. Those items and a heavy grade set of tongs to use for moving coals and picking up the grates are literally the only things you need to get started with grilling.

Upgraded items would be a fast-read thermometer and a grate with tight spacing for small cut vegetables or asparagus

Forgot pic

Grill some chicken hearts, yakitori style

OP here:

If I'm going to grill with wood chunks alongside coal, do I just throw the chunks on top of the coals after I dump them from the chimney?

Not even a bad idea right here. Always used charcoal back home now we have a shitter propane grill at our apartment and it struggles to get above 350 degrees

Why not just use newspaper or cardboard? Or the charcoal bag?

Alright cu/ck/s let's settle this which is superior lump charcoal or briquettes? Personally I've been doing a mix of both but that's just because I'm a broke student. Also favorite beer while grilling on a hot summer day?

Because they don't work as well and I can personally afford the $4 for these 24 cubes that burn hot and long immediately after lighting

after your coals are burning real good and you've placed them in their final resting spot then add your wood

Lump, beer tastes terrible

Use two distinct temperature ranges on the grill. One side with coals (preferable lump charcoal) and the other with no coals. It helps with flare ups.

OP, don't listen to these gas-grillers. Just get a charcoal chimney, some REAL hardwood charcoal, and use some paper towels soaked in whatever grease you have handy (I recycle the paper towels I use to wipe the bacon grease off my griddle with). As long as you use 6-7 paper towels, you will never have a problem with lighting.

Yes, keep in mind if you set it directly on top of the coals, it will catch on fire and produce a lot of smoke all at once. If you set it to the side, just barely touching, you'll get a more sustained smoke.

>beer tastes terrible
You have defective tastebuds

If you don't mind doing some reading then I highly recommend these articles. In fact, this site has pretty much all the outdoor cooking knowledge you could ever want.

amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html
amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/extreme_steak.html

>I don't know how to stuff newspaper into the ass end of a chimney to set a flammable thing on fire.
Reassess your life.

Make your own charcoal or find a way to get real charcoal.

youtube.com/watch?v=GzLvqCTvOQY

Don't buy the shit from the store. It burns for like 5 minutes and all turns to ash. You need a good couple of bags for a whole BBQ.

>Also, are there any must have accessories to purchase?
Like others said, a good grill brush is by far the most important grilling accessory so you can keep your grate clean. Give it a good sweep next time you intend to grill, after your charcoal is just about ready to use

Don't feel too bad if you burn or undercook your first couple meals, grilling can take a lot of experience to instinctively learn when meat's perfect

>Also favorite beer while grilling on a hot summer day?
Any ice cold light beer is absolutely god tier while grilling

Lump charcoal in a chimney starter. Home Depot charcoal is actually not horrible. Use a page or so of newspaper, sprayed with Pam, to get shit going. Use a decent thermometer (pyrometer) so you have a clue how you like your meat cooked, and can do it that way again whenever you want to, as well as for food safety with ground meats.

>grilling can take a lot of experience to instinctively learn when meat's perfect
This also applies to when you use / get a new grill. You end up doing the mind-meld with your grill. You learn how placing the charcoal in different areas creates different temperature zones. You lean exactly how much charcoal you will need for your cook if you keep the exhaust vents at the exact right spot. Etc.
Then you use a new grill, especially a gas one, and you wonder WTF?

lighter cubes are way easier, don't have to mess with grease, don't have to use newspaper that I do not have in the first place. keep wasting your time.

I buy charcoal from walmart and home depot and it burns for 2 hours or more. WTF you buying? Even a thick steak takes only 17 minutes usually.

you didn't have lighter cubes in the first place either. Newspaper is free. Lighter cubes are not.

do not use grill brushes, if you must use one that says it is resistant to breakage.

>>consumerreports.org/food-safety/wire-grill-brush-danger/

it is not free unless your local paper throws trash in your driveway every week. the convenience far outweighs the $3 for a pack of lighter cubes and they work everytime without grease to soak paper or any other bullshit. I'm already at the store buying lump charcoal, might as well buy lighter cubes.