Any tips to reducing the gradiance of steak?

Any tips to reducing the gradiance of steak?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html
seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cooked on cast iron. Flipped every two minutes for a total of 12

More heat

What does "gradiance" mean?

cook it sous vide 100 degrees for an hour or so. Then throw it on high heat couple mins for a sear.

if you cook it any other way, it's going to be shit.

You're supposed to let it sit for 6 per side. If you want a 12 min cook time. Then make sure you let it rest.

The amount of difference in color or "doneness" throughout the steak. A steak with a lot or high gradients will look and be very different throughout the steak compared to one that's been cooked through evenly.

Used to do it this way but found flipping created a better crust.

low time + extreme high heat sear
finish in the oven
flipping is retarded and a cook time on the stove longer than 2 minutes will give you a gradient no matter how much you "flip it"

Slice thin slices off the top and bottom, sear them completely, sous vide the middle, then sandwich it all back together.

Add a bit of butter to make the crust better and be sure to use a spoon to baste the top while cooking

Are you saying 100 Celsius or 100 Fahrenheit? Actually it doesn't matter, both are far from correct.

start with a room temp steak. not fridge temp....

seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html
If you want to learn why that old advice about not flipping is wrong, take a gander at this article.

Yeah nah I don't really fuck with new agey meme faggot shit like "the food lab" when elite steak houses have been doing it a certain way for hundreds of years.

cut at a different angle

Do you know how "elite steakhouses" prepare steaks? Because it's
I'll give you a hint, they get up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit.
And you sure as fuck don't prepare your steak at home like that.

>science is bad
>learning is bad
>reading is hard, therefore bad
keep on keepin on Cletus

>everything I read online is fact because it fits with my shit way of making meat

This. I believe
Must have full tilt autism and is not very well exposed to the world at all.

100 degrees Fahrenheit? That's literally too low to cook anything. You can't even pastuerise eggs at that temp.

100 F does not cook meat since that would mean you're being cooked right now.
100 C is literally boiling.

So yeah, either option is retarded.

100 F and you tard-asses are forgetting the steak is going to come up to temp during the sear. if you sous vide it at 130 you'll be at 140-150 by the time it gets on your plate.

But user sounded full of conviction and smugness, he has to be right.

You really don't know what the word sear means do you? If the heat is high enough and the time short enough, then there will only be a sliver of meat on either side with any residual heat, so it'll cook an unnoticeable amount once it leaves the pan

I like to cook sous vide by leaving meat on my windowsill on a sunny day for an hour.

Those food lab articles are like primary school level A/B testing, you're going to dismiss it because it's not old timey and authentic enough feeling for you?

100 F is barely above room temp, idiot. If you had told him to leave it out to let it get to room temp you'd have a point, but sous vide at 100 F is just pointless. Especially for one hour.

>heat to room temp
>sous vide to 125
>1000 degree sear for 45 seconds each side

perfect, every fucking time.

You are putting your faith in a BuzzFeed article basically.

Higher heat, flip more frequently, every 30 seconds or so.

Not really, I'm judging the evidence presented, not the URL.

Waste of time when my steak already comes out perfectly.

thinner slice, lower heat, longer time. It takes time for the heat to get into the inner section, so if it's too hot, or too thick, the outer area burns before the inner portion warms up.

If it's more than a half inch thick slice, is the only way to do it.

sous vide or use the oven.

grilling or pan searing will always have the highest range of 'doneness'

And today we watch yet another potentially useful thread devolve because nobody on this site can have a conversation like actual people.

>REEEEEEEE

>I know best and there is no way I could possibly improve
should have said as much from the beginning

sous vide, if you want to be that guy.

Finish it the oven instead of trying to cook it through using just the pan.

Flip it more frequently for more even cooking

If you find the steak is too thick, do sous vide or do a reverse sear with the oven. I like doing oven reverse sears when I'm lazy because you don't have to pat the steak dry or anything before searing.

temper your steak before you cook it. as in, let it get to room temperature.

sous vide or reverse sear.

place in bag sous vide for 30 Mins at 63 C / 145,4 F

or in an oven with a meat thermometer until it reaches said temp.

get cast iron hot as fuck and sear each side for about 45 sec. (or desired crust) turn and baist with some butter. bäm perfect coler everytime

*perfect color.

seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

If you cooked instead of looking at articles and yelling "AKSHULLY" at people you would know that minimizing the flipping is because the juice of the meat seaps up into the top of the flesh and excess flipping would dry the meat.

why do old wives get this triggered when presented with data and a well written article?

The results are incorrect if you do any top down grilling, or smoking, or anything that lets heat escape from the 'oven'-type environment you're using.

>let it "rest" goy, dont enjoy a hot meal

>6 per side
>Pan frying a steak for 36 minutes
He wants a steak, not shoe leather

one answer: sous vide.

It only seeps up the top when you leave it on one side for two long. Flipping frequently keeps the juice in the middle.

sous vide followed by torch, skillet, or if you have one of the 3219863179365 degrees broilers

>3219863179365 degrees broilers

any tips on how to fire my steak into a supernova

Fusion reactor, saves on transit costs.

Looks good just eat it you pompous ass.

So this is why that stuff is taking so long, the engineers keep getting steak in the core.