A La Recherche du Temps Perdu

Did you guys read that? What did you think of it? Did you have expectations about it?

i haven't read it yet because i'm working on my french, which isn't good enough to get through it smoothly yet. don't want to read it in english.

I read about 150 pages but he would not shut the fuck up about that fucking church so i stopped

It's beautiful.

That was genuinely one of my favorite parts of the entire novel. I guess it's not for everyone.

I read the first one and enjoyed how cozy it was, far too much detailed about how good French asparagus was. I mean it is, I have a shit memory and only remember how he rambled on about asparagus all the time. I'm planning on reading the entire thing this summer though since I have the full set now.

Es lo mejor que me ha pasado en la vida.

This and Shakespeare are the only things I've read for the last 3 years.

I read it in English and then learned French just to read it in French, which was one of the best experiences of my life. The central themes and messages are more profound than almost all philosophy and fiction.

That speaks more of your sparse education than anything else, lmao. Why do people fall for the "literature is more profound than philosophy" meme, when it's clearly bullshit?

Okay then name one philosopher who provides more helpful information on how to enjoy one's own existence

¿Qué traducción al español me recomienda? Tengo la de Alianza (Salinas), pero me estoy inclinando por la de Valdemar (Armiño)

Man the fuck up y aprende frances, que de todas maneras deberias aprender si sos un verdadero patrician.

The fact that all you got from Proust is "how to better enjoy your life" shows what a shallow petty bourgeois he is.

Ok so name one philosopher who explains this better, or provides any better overall advice/philosophy to live by

Literally any ancient philosopher.

Ok name one then, one specific one and why their philosophy is better. Can you even name one? You keep avoiding the question like a fucking pussy.

Je parle un peu :v

>implying that Proust or any other literary writer actually has a "philosophy"
Aristotle. His philosophy is better because he actually has a philosophy, that is, a series of theories rationally articulated from first principles, and systematically grounded his views on morality on his anthropology. Feel better now?

Aristotle is great but Proust is superior because of the eloquent fiction form. When communicated via storytelling, like fiction, the reader uses all parts of their brain (scientifically proven) and is thus more engaged, let alone the fact that Proust is simply one of the best ever at the craft of writing itself.

I'm reading it right now and read 5,5/7 parts, and it's mesmerizing, Proust is definitely one of the best prose stylists, and the nuances of his character building and surrounding painting are exemplary

Proust got me interested in medieval cathedrals tbqh

>eloquent fiction form

Philosophy isn't fiction.

It's a wonderful book, but you have to take your time to read it. pro tip : The older you are the better it will be

You are an absolute pseud. The church part is absolutely beautiful. I almost shed a few tears while he was describing that stained glass window.