Making bread for the first time

Hey Veeky Forums I really need your help. I'm trying to make wheat bread and got to this stage. All I have to do is put it in a bowl and let it double. Is it supposed to look like this before I put it in the bowl? It sticks to my hands but not the table, like the recipe calls for. I just want to check all my bases before leaving it alone.

So, do I need to add any more flour or am I good? Here's the recipe
allrecipes.com/recipe/6773/simple-whole-wheat-bread/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iyb86ECObTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how long did you knead if for? if you take a corner and stretch it, can you see through it like a window, or does it break?

Looks like you need a lot more flour and kneading.

That picture is such shit its impossible to tell. If you let it sit at room temp and in 2 hours you come back to check on it and its doubled in size you are probably fine to knock it down, fold it, let it rise once more and throw it in a 450 degree oven.

otherwise... is right. it looks ridiculously wet. I've seen wet doughs like that work out.. but its odd.

Yeah, agreed. I've made plenty of high hydration breads that look like this to begin with, but doing stretch and folds during the bulk fermentation adds the structure needed. For a kneaded dough to look like this, though...

OP here, I added a fuckton more flour, is it good to leave it alone now? Thanks for your help by the way

Doesn't seem kneaded enough.
From experience you will know when to stop kneading.
Try some more, stop when it gets a little bit harder to knead

Looking better, but I'd knead more. Check out this video on "the windowpane test," it'll help you know when you're done kneading

youtube.com/watch?v=iyb86ECObTM

It's done kneading when it's elastic and springy and smooth -- that's when you know the gluten is properly developing.

Thanks, anons. So all I have to do is knead it more? No more flour?

See what the bread is like after another 3-4 minutes of kneading!

It didn't pass the window test but I got tired after kneading it for at least 40 min. I used up all the whole wheat flour I bought too so I'm gonna see how it goes. Thanks again, anons

well, it certainly looks better than your original pic. i'm weirdly emotionally invested in your bread adventure now, user, so please keep me updated!

>kneading it for at least 40 min. I used up all the whole wheat flour
did you add any all purpose flour? you should of
did you really knead for 40 min. since you added more flour? oh my

I left it to rise overnight, I'm going to give it a few more hours before I tackle it again. Anything I should know about the punching down process?

Also yeah, I basically was doing nothing but kneading in-between posts. Watching the bread come together was really satisfying, so it wasn't as much of a chore.

There was kind of a crust on the top (while it was wet on the inside, probably because I used oil to grease the pan after butter wasn't working), but it definitely rose.

Wasn't sure about the punching down process so I tried to not agitate it as much. It smelled like alcohol/yeast, which was concerning for a bit, but we'll see how it turns out. Next up was panning. Wasn't sure how to do that either.

First is the actual 9x5 pan. Wasn't sure how much to put in, only that I needed to let it rise until it gets to about an inch above the pan. Not doing that, I'll start baking them in 10-20 min, making it an hour of waiting for this step alone.

I neglected to buy another bread pan, so I decided to toss the remaining dough in a 9x9.

why would you think not to agitate it much when it's called punching it down? you should of got all the air out when punching it down, then knead it a few more times. divide then smooth it out by turning it inside itself. then put in your buttered/oiled pans and let rise another hour before you bake.

I would of mentioned this earlier but you didn't answer my earlier question >did you add any all purpose flour? you should of
still wondering about this though

even if this turns out not to your liking, it's good to get practice, you'll be more confident next go around. let it sit for a hour after it comes out of the oven before you go cutting into it

this is gonna be some fucked up bread

D E S I G N A T E D

>should of should of should of should of

it looks like a fucking disastah user what's your hydration

>would of

i didn't.

Yeah it'll probably be ass but oh well it's my first time. Probably should 't have drank while doing jt but oh well.

it's fine user how did it taste

>it's fine user
it's really not, you shouldn't encourage failure

It cam out alright. It tasted like a wheat version of the loaves my dad used to buy whenever we had spaghetti when I was younger. It was a little thick for my tastes, but hey I have bread now and I have an idea of how to make it again. I wish I knew what else I did wrong besides kneading/probably baking. 5 cups of bread flour and 2 fucking pounds of whole wheat flour seems like it's a lot.

at least he tried user now it's up to him if he wants to improve it or leave it at that

stick to 1 method of measurement user and maybe try 65-70% water so it won't come out like fucking flubber

When do I add more water? In the first stage?