Who makes the best hardcovers and why is it Everyman's?

Who makes the best hardcovers and why is it Everyman's?

Everyman's is, quite literally, for poor plebs. Get some Franklin Library or Easton Press books.

Only girls who read YA and want a vanity copy of Tolstoy to make themselves look well read buy either of those. Everyman's prints high quality books that will last for you to give to your grandkids, and they'll still look classy when you do. If you buy Franklin or Easton, they'll know you were a pseud.

Easton and Franklin are, quite literally, for poor plebs. Get some leather-bound antiquarian books.

It's amazing how thin their pages are and how nice they feel
They make 800+ page books feel like a 350 page book

Yes. Calfskin feels like suede. They really don't make them like they used to.

Great publisher, but dont get water on the thing or it will fucking destroy the text on the spine and make the material lift up on the covers. I mean, if unlike me you are not retarded enough to spill a glass of water on your book you should be fine, but still be careful.

I collect old Everyman cloths. The best.

Then you have to deal with leather treatments and UV filters and humidity-controlled rooms.

I'm fully aware that Franklin and Easton are entry-level "fine press" books, but they look nice on the shelf and feel nice in the hands without breaking the bank. I don't have $ 3,500 bucks to spend on one Arion press novel.

You forgot Folio Society.

Those are nice too, but the good bindings can be pretty expensive compared to franklin/easton.

Or, you know, people who enjoy having nice leather-bound editions of classics. Franklin library and easton both have tasteful bindings that look and feel great. Along with the highest quality paper, and often good illustrations.

Yeah, i'll get right on spending $1-3,000 dollars per book, user. Even patricians are not that retarded.

>Those are nice too, but the good bindings can be pretty expensive compared to franklin/easton.

They've got nothing on Library of America editions. The pages are like tissue paper.

Still, I appreciate their keeping a lot of authors in print.

i have one and the quality isnt great

Are you, perchance, colorblind? Because that's the only way someone could possibly think this is "tasteful." It looks like someone vomited Trix yogurt on a magic eye image.

>They've got nothing on Library of America editions. The pages are like tissue paper.

This. I recently bought Emerson's Essays and Lectures because it was extremely cheap even though it was new (like 10 dollars). I expected a very thick volume, but I was surprised to find it was actually rather thin even at 800+ pages.

Picked these up at lunch today

Cherrypicking isn't a very good argument. Yes, that one isn't very good, but they still have a lot of tasteful bindings.

You're all pseuds. Just buy an old cheap paperback at a used book store like any normal reader.

Those are some nice ones.
Here's some of my collection

You can't show me a single one that you wouldn't be embarassed to have Harold Bloom see on your bookshelf.

>Not 1940s-1960s modern library found in used bookstores along empty backroads in vt and nh

all plebs, all of you

>she proudly shows that she only owns part one of In Search of Lost Time

Have you read a single one of those all the way through, Emily?

I have the rest in paperback. And I've read most of them in entirety. I just need to finish Anna Karenina, Tristram Shandy, and Chekhov's plays.

this is the goat

btfo

Leather-bound books are the most psued thing there is. They don't look good, they're expensive, and the only purpose of them is to show off. Taking the dust jacket off any Viking hardcover looks better than that trash. You have convinced me that you've never read a book in your life.

Really? Because your Chaucer is worn down, but the rest look untouched. Surely you didn't just happen to change up your reading habits to spite ol' Geoffrey? Also, samefag

Another pleb who thinks you have to ruin your belongings to look cool for Internet faggots. Fuck, I thought this board was for adults.

>Also, (You) samefag
did your mom ever teach you about the boy who cried wolf?

these are me

>counterexample
>but still

pseudalert

The point isn't that user didn't ruin all of them, it's that she did ruin one. If her reading habits don't wear down her books, great. But why did she ruin her Chaucer, then?

Canterbury tales looks worn down because the spine got smashed by something. Leather-bound books look untouched if you treat them well. That's one of the points of having them: they last for a very long time. These books are all 30-40 years old.

Apparently yours didn't. Nowhere else in this thread has anyone accused or been accused of samefaggery. And you should really post a screenshot if you're bothering to respond at all.

Fair enough, but maybe she bought it used?

i already know youre the type of goon to cry samefag everytime he gets rocked

>inb4 'u edited the pic'

Thanks. Looks like we have a lot of the same volumes.

I really need to invest in better bookshelves.

Those all look great. I just find reading a paperback a lot more comfortable.

>a publisher called "Everyman's" prints hardcovers meant to be inexpensive

What a shocker.

I don't do a whole lot of reading out of the house, and when I do it's on a kobo, so I've been trying to replace my old paperbacks with Franklins or Eastons. I've also got a shelf of Folios and Heritage Press. If books are going to take up an entire wall of a room, they might as well look nice. They're only ~30 bucks

theyre also fuck huge relative to the page count so its easy to take up a lot of space

someone will call this pseudo-intellectual posturing but im just stating an objective fact relevant to a post in this thread

>Patricians
>not idly rich

their Lolita is glued-together trash
that's what I actually dislike about them

Are leather bound books mostly for decoration? They seem unwieldy and hard to read with comfortably.

Yikes you're materialistic and seemingly disgenuine

They're more comfortable to read than paperbacks

It does look a bit jarring to have all that frippery on an ikea bookcase.

These threads always remind me just how much of Veeky Forums are autistic teenagers with severe poorfag complexes.

What's that edition of Augustine's Confessions? Is the translation good?

All those expensive leatherbound books arranged on a cheap Billy bookcase.

>lend best bud leatherbound copy of Dante's Inferno
>months pass
>I don't usually ask for books back but this one is special
>My dead dad gave it to me before leaving for Afghanistan
>He would never return
>"So, did you read the book?"
>"Oh sure user, I forgot. I'll bring it to you next time we see each other."
>fast forward to next time
>Leather binding has been grossly replaced with hard paper by his vegan girlfriend, the leather stapled to some cow in North Carolina
>EVERY footnote has been cropped with scissors
>Beautiful Doré illustrations have been painted with watercolor
>Dogears
>All the blank pages are missing
>Marbled inlays are now inexplicably pulp paper yellow
>Someone scrawled "Dante Alighieri" with a black pen and wrote "Dorkte Allegory" below
>Friend looks at me, a sincere smile on his face, as I look at the disaster that is my father's last gift
>He doesn't seem to understand what's happening
>Run away
>Years later, I see him begging on the streets and pretend not to see him

What kind of subhuman garbage would not only do that to a book, but a friends book that he was allowed to borrow in good faith. He deserves the absolute worst. Even if the book wasn't something special to you, it'd still be awful. If a friend of mine did that to even one of my paperback books, i'd never talk to them again.

Those look really tacky and gaudy. I normally really like simple hardcovers, but those look really bad in my opinion. In fact I think they'd look 10x better without the ridging and excessive decorations.

>tfw a greentext makes you want to kill

It's ok user, that story was clear fiction

Funny thing is everymans library actually prints really quality hardcovers. They vary drastically in price though. Sometimes you can get them new for less than paperback, sometimes they cost 20 dollars msrp.

What kind of fucking barbarian takes the dust jackets off of their hardcovers when they're not reading them?

This. Those belong on the set of a Harry Potter movie, filled with blank pages, not in someone's home, filled with the immortal words of great authors.

>dust jackets
belong in the trash

The moral of these tyoes of stories is to NEVER EVER lend out your good shit

If someon wants a book that badly email them a fucking pdf, not pass out heirlooms

This is a matter of aesthetics, so opinions differ, but I hate how it looks to have all of the books on a shelf from the same publisher (unless it's in a bookstore). Variety of volumes adds something to the appearance.

If I went over to someone's home and saw a whole bookcase filled with a single edition, whether that be Everyman's or Easton, I would assume that they didn't read and had shelled out a lot of money for one of the publisher's "collections" to use as decoration.

how do you have time to read when you're such an awful materialist? My copy of tristram shandy cost £0.99 and it'll last me as long as i take good care of it. And when the binding breaks you can still keep the pages in order and look after them.
Also, those are some ugly fucking hardcovers.

Is this type of hardcover style called something? This book has one of my favorite covers ever, simple gold lettering, with just enough flair and decoration.

I like it a lot more than the extravagance of:

They can have some really iffy translations though.

This my man. I have copies of Ulysses, The Age of Innocence, and The Red and The Black from Modern Library. Very comfy books, the latter two books are quite compact as well. They're solidly made and simple.

Christ they look bad.

Now compare that with this:

The only thing guaranteed to survive a nuclear winter (besides cockroaches) are those Reader's Digest condensed books. Whatever you think about the contents, those things are built to last.

It's called wash your greasy hands before touching the binding.

Nice plastic dustcovers, pleb.

They're not mine you fucking retard.

Those are okay, but black + white > le french flag

>Everyman's is for plebs.
>Get Easton.

I actually have the everyman's decline and fall. It's fine, but I would rather have pic related tbqh.

Tacky gimmick desu

Tasteless poorfaggot desu

I'm rich enough to not care about expensive stuff, user.

You are like those desperate lower-middle class people who think their shiny car makes them any less pleb.

>it's a poorfaggot trying really hard to LARP as 'le old money intelligentsia'
What other movie clichés do you know, kiddo?

See you'd be more convincing if your picture wasn't a pile of gaudy shit.

>he denotes anything not meekly minimalistic and non-descript as gaudy
>he thinks his lack of any genuine taste is actually a great taste
You're one of those Veeky Forums teenagers, aren't you?

I don't like it because it's expensive, I like it because the visual metaphor is clever and the binding otherwise seems to be nice enough. Like I said, I actually own the Everyman's edition, which is ok.

No, it's just shit. It's the kind of thing you'd see on some children's history book series.
See? Much better.

de gustibus non est disputandum

Can someone please tell me what sort of dipshit retard takes the dust jackets off of their hardcovers?

They look so stylish

Loeb Classical Library is the only correct answer.

>buying a book with only the English translation
>wasting your time reading anything not originally written in Latin or Greek
baka

I fucking love these little books and my Greek is getting pretty good too.

Those are pretty fucking aesthetic.

Are the translations ever any good?

>Taking Gibbon this seriously

come on guys

>translations
The Latin/Greek is on the left, the English is on the right. I try to read the original as much as possible but the English is pretty good too. It's difficult to get a sense of scale from the images but they are fairly pocket sized which makes them very nice to travel with. For example, you can easily slip one into a jacket or coat, which I very often do when I'm going to be out for a while.

>not taking Gibbon seriously

come on guy

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

>Not getting La Pléiade
Poor fags detected

>he likes shitty typesetting on a cheap transparent paper
Way to be faggot, frog.

The kind with better aesthetic sensibilities than you

Not particularly useful for someone who doesn't want to read Greek then.

>Not buying used paperbacks and selling them for a profit after reading them

>Not stealing books from the library and selling them for a profit

That's not a particularly expensive set. Saw it in mint condition at a used book store last week for $60.

How many and which loebs do you have?