There are people who still follow buddhism

>there are people who still follow buddhism
Explain yourselves

Other urls found in this thread:

fredericklenzfoundation.org/our-work
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nekkhamma
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_enlightenment#The_four_stages_of_attainment
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Buddhism is a sect of Hinduism, which is the oldest current religion in the world.

Buddhism is just a stepping-stone to Taoism, unless you're a retard.

Plebs.

Proper Theravada Bhuddism is non-theistic and has fuck all to do with hinduism. Mahayana is a perversion of Buddha's teachings and Vajrayana is just esoteric LARPing.

That's not true

This seems to be an excerpt from Gautama's Nyaya Sutras, if not, please let me know where is it from.

Also, there's a little misunderstanding about Buddhism in this text.
The four stages of life, according to Hinduism, end in sannyasa, or renunciation, or asceticism.

Buddhism, in theory and practice, is all about sannyasa, but Buddha never explicitly asked anyone to stop leading a practical life, but continue leading it in a state of perpetual detachment.

Now, because of Buddha's lack of teachings regarding mundane conduct, people have inferred that he propagated asceticism.

In actuality, what this excerpt accuses Buddhism of is a Hindu practice.

This subtle difference between Buddha's teachings and the inferred meaning have lead people to believe that all Buddhists must be monks. It is not so.

There is literally no reason to follow Buddhism today. The Brahmins of the Nyaya school had completely dismantled all their arguments and drove them out of India over a thousand years ago.

>“You, Bauddhas (Buddhists), hold that there is no soul, yet you construct caityas(towers) to enjoy pleasure in paradise after death; you say that everything is momentary, yet you build monasteries with the hope they will last for centuries; and you say that the world is void, yet you teach that wealth should be given to spiritual guides. What a strange character the Bauddhas possess, they are verily a monument of conceit.”

>Nyaya-vartika-tatparya-tika

bless you!

THIS

PLS PLEBS READ THANISSARO, VISIT ACCESS TO INSIGHT

>maximum edgy cherry-picking and twisting facts
Were Brahmins the poltardian teenagers of their time?

Is slandering other vehicles part of right speech?

holy shit, btfo

It's an accepted and established part of Mahayana Buddhism that Buddhism will wane and become lost to the world for thousands of years, and that we are currently in the waning period. So I doubt any (at least Mahayana) Buddhists would disagree with that
lel this is the equivalent of "Oh yeah, if Heaven is real why don't you just kill yourself to get there immediately?"

This is from Vacaspati Misra's Nyayvartikatattparyatika. It's given right there.

Also, it looks like it's you who has misunderstood Vacaspati Misra's argument. He alleges that the Buddhist scriptures have literally nothing regarding practical life. On the other hand, the Brahmins have a well-established social and political system created by them. Due to this, the Brahmin scriptures are superior.

The Buddhists were the fedora-tippers of their time.
>le Vedas have no authority xd

The last argument is legit though. Buddha advocates non-attachment, but the only way Buddhists can survive is through patronage from wealthy people who acquired their wealth by being attached.

Buddhism, therefore, is self contradictory.

>through patronage from wealthy people
Where? Every Buddhist temple and monastery I've been at receives only food donations from poor local farmers and other working class people in return for being able to stay at and visit it.

>Buddha advocates non-attachment
For those seeking enlightenment, not as a universal doctrine.
>only way Buddhists can survive is through patronage from wealthy people
Pure non-sense.
>self contradictory
Why is it that every clueless teenager tries to claim self-contradiction or self-refutation of anything they don't understand or like? Do those words sound especially cool?

>fredericklenzfoundation.org/our-work

>Since its inception, the Lenz Foundation has funded or is committed to funding approximately $5,335,056 in grants and programs.

Just a quick google search. I'm pretty sure there are more.

>there are organizations which accept donations for promotion of Buddhism
>therefore the only way Buddhists can survive is through patronage
Do you have a mental disability?

Buddha literally told everyone to renounce the world and become monks. Give me a source or indication where he says otherwise.
>Pure non-sense
Buddhism has solely survived through patronage. Earlier it used to be kings, now there are programs. The Buddhists were only able to reach heights due to the fact that kings used to fund all their spiritual activities.

>being this dense
No matter the time period, a wealthy and charitable set of people ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS OF LIFE was required to support buddhists. Buddha, on the other hand told everyone to abjure the world and become monks.

I honestly just don't understand how there are people who still follow any religion other than Christianity. Every other religion is lacking and illogical.

>Buddha literally told everyone to renounce the world and become monks. Give me a source or indication where he says otherwise.
Kek. The burden of proof is on you, my oligophrenic friend.
>Buddhism has solely survived through patronage. Earlier it used to be kings, now there are programs
>No matter the time period, a wealthy and charitable set of people ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS OF LIFE was required to support buddhists.
Theravadic Sanghas have survived solely on food donations from the local community for thousands of years, you clueless child. Please fuck off and engage when your knowledge spans more than 3 skimmed Wikipedia articles and 2 leddit posts.

>Buddha literally told everyone to renounce the world and become monks.
[citation needed]
this isn't /pol/, cretin

>Buddha literally told everyone to renounce the world and become monks.

>I have literally zero knowledge of Buddhism but let me tell you about it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nekkhamma

>Nekkhamma is a Pali word generally translated as "renunciation" or "the pleasure of renunciation" while also conveying more specifically "giving up the world and leading a holy life" or "freedom from lust, craving and desires."

Hell, Buddha's story is enough proof. The sight of sickness, old age and death turned the Buddha away from this world. He advised non-attachment for he believed that the more the involvement the more the anxiety and fear. When Buddha's son came for specifically his inheritance, all the Buddha did was to initiate him into his miserable monk order.

One thing is clear - if you are a Buddhist, you must be a world-renunciate monk. The notion that you can choose whichever of the Buddha's teachings you want to follow is a modern phenomenon to make it more tuned with modern life.

>Theravadic Sanghas have survived solely on food donations from the local community
The local community aren't monks (or proper Buddhists), they're engaged in life. You literally proved my point.

There is little point in arguing with you, it seems your mind already made up, which is fine, I have nothing against Hinduism or you or your beliefs. But for anyone reading this, the Pali canon has many passages of the Buddha giving advice to laypeople on how to obtain a fortunate rebirth without being a monk. Being a monk and maybe becoming an arahant (achieving Nibbana in this life) is the highest thing someone can strive for, but there are lower goals for ordinary people. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_enlightenment#The_four_stages_of_attainment

kek'd very hard in self study class

>if I post a word for detachment that would be a definite proof Buddha advocated detachment to everyone
>hur dur my interpretative hur dur is enough proof
Just fucking stop, autismo. Accepting Buddhist cosmology and principles makes you a Buddhist not following the Path. The Path is there for those who wish to ascend and leave the cycle, it's not a mandatory way of life for everyone. Reducing Buddhists to monks is as wrong and ridiculous as reducing Christians to monks. Instead of shitposting you could have read some Pali Canon, for example.