Dairy Alternatives

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me find some alternatives to dairy.

Long story short, my husband has a is slightly lactose intolerant. By slightly, I mean that he can eat cheese and yogurt and drink milk, but it gives him pretty bad heartburn and he gets really congested.

So I was looking for alternatives for both just eating and cooking.

The man loves his cereal and cheese, so I wanted to find some alternatives for him, or maybe some different milk sources that don't tend to mess with a lactose intolerant person as much.

I live in California if that helps as far as brands to buy.

So I'm looking for:

-Cheeses (if any)
-Substitutes to cook with
-Substitutes for everyday things like cereal and oatmeal

Thanks so much!

Lactose-free milk.

dissolve powdered coffee-mate in some hot water then let cool and put in fridge = coconut/palm milk.

I'm lactose intolerant myself, so I can give you some suggestions.
1. Lactose free milk is pretty good, but so is flax milk, almond milk, and soy milk. Soy and flax are the most neutral flavored.
2. For cooking, I find that I can tolerate canned evaporated milk, since it's been basically cooked. It works great in anything you'd use regular milk in. I also use a lot of coconut milk, especially in indian and asian foods.
3. Cheese is going to be hard. I've never found a non-dairy cheese that I like, and I've tried LOTS. That said, I've found that hard cheeses like parmesan, romano, aged cheddar, gruyere, etc don't give me any problems, it has sonething to do with the aging process making them very low in lactose.
4. The brand "Tofutti" makes a very acceptable sour cream replacement that I really like.
5. I can't remember the actual brand name, but the brand that makes "veganaise" makes really good dairy-free blue cheese and ranch salad dressings.
6. Google the recipe for making tofu "ricotta ". It actually turns out really well, and works great in baked dishes.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer.

none of those things are actually dairy alternatives, they resemble milk by being a whitish liquid and that's as far as it goes

just get lactaid

that said I recommend oat milk as a beverage in it's own right. It's my post work out drink of choice. just make sure you get regular and not vanilla, vanilla flavor is gross

Water

What exactly do you think "alternative" means, goofball?

something that can be used interchangeable with milk and produce a similar result. none of those things can because they don't have the right composition of fats and proteins to do it

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm writing them down in a little notepad.

Don't be ridiculous, of course they can. Coconut milk very much is just like using whole milk as far as composition goes, and almond, flax, hemp, oat, rice, cashew, etc, are similar to skim or 1% milk. See a registered dietitian.

I finally remembered the brand, it's called "Follow Your Heart", and their dressings are in the refridgerated section of the produce aisle.
And, as someone who fucking LOVED blue cheese before I got older and became lactose intolerant, their vegan blue cheese dressing is legit good.

I'm guessing you don't cook much, do you?

Go try to make a Mornay sauce with "nut milk" and get back to me about your success.

>>See a registered dietitian.
Why? What do they know about cooking?

Hard cheese and butter doesn't contain much lactose and if he's not severely intolerant to it - which he can't be since he can drink milk without pouring his intestines out for 4 hours.
Also look for butter milk / sour milk such as kefir and other variants where the bacteria lives off the natural occurring lactose in milk and it's good for your stomach.

Or if you don't drink too much milk, buy the lactose free or lactose reduced variant. The reduced variant is barely more expensive over here, but lasts for ten times as long as normal milk. It has a slightly sweeter taste to it though, but it's within natural variances in taste of milk production.

Or allow your guts to produce more of the good bacteria by eating small amounts of dairy over time so that he one day will enjoy a glass of milk.

Just take a lactaid pill before eating. That shit as done wonders for me. I can eat pizza and bowls of cereal again.

Yeah this. Ops mate has something other than lactose intolerance. Sounds more like acid reflux or something

Silk Cashew milk

He used to puke when he was a kid so his mom tried goat milk and it seemed to solve that issue, but it still gives him mild trouble like the acid reflux and mucous.

Almond breeze is great, so is rice milk. They both have a very mild flavor and pair well with anything that requires milk. Pacific brand is grossly sweet so avoid that shit. Coconut is good for savory soups or desserts. Doesn't bind well in certain recipes though. Hemp milk white chocolate mocha are killer.

Actually, I fucking HAVE made a Mornay sauce with non-dairy milks. It's not hard.
Also, dietitians know a lot about cooking, it's part of their coursework, and good dietitians also take culinary classes to improve their work base.

Your mornay sauce was shit, pal.

How the fuck would you know? Guess how I can tell you're a shit tier cook?