Houellebecq's antihero is a middle aged man in the throes of despondency stemmed from rapant hedonism, aging...

Houellebecq's antihero is a middle aged man in the throes of despondency stemmed from rapant hedonism, aging, and intellectual uselessness. Women often betray the character who finds little meaning in the post-free love era. Houellebecq is anti-postmodern through and through, but that doesn't mean he totally disputes pomo conclusions but, rather, finds the results of pomo philosophy--rejection of cultural norms and patriarchy--morose. His style is low romanticism, which is the only thing that can replace postmodernism.

how would "low romanticism" deal with the problem that man is not "born free" but rather "born into chains and is everywhere in chains"? camus would say that it's a the summit of the hill, that brief observation when the rock rolls back down that man can express one sense of freedom. which is the source of pomo irony, an incredibly effective coping mechanism for existential dread. I'm not sure romanticism, high or low, has anything to offer with this problem.

Camus is full of shit and only high schoolers take him seriously
>IF YOU ARE LE TRAPPED IN HELL JUST LE ENJOY IT LOL

As a literary movement, writers should instead romanticize ironically and negatively, the postmodern character. A hedonist who rejects modernist ideals and suffers internally. Let's start with the American hip hop artist

maybe, maybe not. what does romanticism have to offer the problem?

why are you taking for granted that that problem exists and that you accurately described it?

brainlet spotted

that runs counter to OPs critique though.

Idk, I've just always liked reading romantic literature.

do you not understand what romanticism in literature means? man's freedom is a central problem.

>only high schoolers
>edgy greentext as an argument

>just enjoy it
I thought Camus was more focused on the liberation which accompanies the acceptance of existence's grim reality.

I know. That's my problem connecting these philosophies.

now how you framed it though

not*

The Houellebecq 'hero' is not a victim of his own hedonism, but that of others.
The upending of traditional social mores in the postmodernist era is the implied source of his heroes' malaise.

>Man is the central problem
This book is his most romantic

what? that doesn't make any sense. if you know, then why declaim my comments on freedom? what else are you supposed to talk about in a thread about Houellebecq's romanticism being capable of replacing postmodernism.

what do you mean, how I framed it? "man is born free but is everywhere in chains" is Rousseau. we know now through humanistic and scientific study that man is not born free.

I'm a nĂ¼ male beta cuck who reads nihilist memes yo, in truth I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing. Khillary for prezidunt DFW for VP

since this is Veeky Forums and I assume some of you study literature, how do you feel about Houellebecq's portrayal of humanities as useless and humanities professors as hedonists full of ennui?

As a STEMlord I unironically agree. Creating literature is a worthy pursuit but academic criticism of it is hedonist cancer that will never do anything to better the world.

pic mostly not related.

That sounds more like romantic irony than pomo irony to me.

as a "STEMlord", are you bothered by the fact that this graph would appear to have a Y axis (the majors ascending upwards as IQ increases), but there actually nothing on the Y axis? This could have been a single axis chart, A LIST. Plotting a chart like this just seems fucking stupid and possibly deceptive.

Also, does it have a source?

they names are staggered by line breaks you stupid fuck, if it was a single axis it would be almost impossible to read

as with all historical literary groupings, there is no clean break between eras. although, I don't see how anyone can deny the myth of sisyphus' influence on postmodernism and absurdism's influence the postmodern understanding of irony.

Right, line breaks, thats the reason it's masquerading as a two axis graph. It has nothing to do with aesthetic associations of an upwards XY graph and it's associations with improvement over time.

If I was in charge of making this, it'd be a list. There is nothing useful about all that empty white space.

Social Workers- IQ 100
Veterinarians- IQ 102
Surgeons- IQ 2000
STEMLORDS- IQ 9000
etc etc

Also, you've doged my question about it's source. I'm very keen on knowing the source given it's terrible graphic design, not so much because I care about disputing the data.

im the guy who posted the graph not the guy you just replied to. Idk the source, there are loads of sources estimating iq by major and all of them follow the same hierarchy. heres one that shows physics majors do better than relevant majors on the LSAT and the MCAT.

Ah see, these look like sensible charts and graphs!

Whoever made your first "graph" should be shot for not flipping his x axis into a y axis, single variable list.

Its another episode of physics undergrads thinking they can communicate well

I mean, looking at these charts, it's easy to think, "lol, social workers and elementary teachers are STUPID".

But if the lowest average IQ is 100, then I'm guessing we're in fine shape, as a collective society. 70 is typically the cut off for intellectual disability. So we're not handing out diplomas to people who are actually mentally impaired.

So standardized tests are for ability to do physics?

you don't need to see how - i'll deny it. in fact i'll say it has nothing to do with postmdoernism at all.

>we're not handing out diplomas to people who are actually mentally impaired
>we're in fine shape
That's some high standards lad.

>That's some high standards lad.

Hey, assuming the programs are sufficient, I don't care how smart an elementary school teacher is. If they can pass certification, and that certification process is legitimate, then we are in good shape!

Would you prefer that only geniuses can be Physical Education teachers? What's the point of that?

It isn't about making sure only brilliant people can get diplomas, it's about making sure the diploma reflects the actual skills and knowledge required for the field.

>tfw smart but unsexy

As a studio art major, I know for a fact that there were fellow students who graduated virgins. One was even engaged for 3 years and waiting for marriage.

But, it probably was close to 0-2%. People had lots of sex.

heres another good one. STEMlords really are ugly autists desu.

I mean, I doubt "hotness" is the only important factor.

I majored in painting, and I'm a fat ugly fuck, but I got laid regularly in college. Sometimes by equally ugly people, but not always, sometimes they were really hot and sometimes they were pretty fucking ugly.

And it certainly isn't an issue of free time. We spent more time in studio working than any other program, except maybe the med students. Those dudes were always fucking overstressed. I think one difference is that a group studio is a social environment, where as a med library really isn't.

then you don't understand postmodernism very well. camus and satre are central to postmodern ideas on freedom.

>estimated from average GRE scores
You'd have to have a really low IQ to take this graph seriously

The images went from Houellebecq to 2chainz, god damn

Where does law factor into this?