Negative mass achieved...

Negative mass achieved, now all we need is a rich boy to develop large scale application of this and we can get ourselves a wormhole.
phys.org/news/2018-01-device-negative-massand-lasers.html

Tell Musk. He will get this up and running Q2 2018.

So if you push something with negative mass it will push back, and if you pull it it will be pushed away?

Yes, it also warps space time away from itself so it's theoretically capable of producing wormholes.

This may be the best timeline.

>negative mass
>wormholes
>optical microcavity
>excitons
>polaritons
>in4 they just point laser at mirror
clown fiesta

sounds frightening; who's to say it will not create a feed forward event. hopefully there is the wormhole equivalent of hawking radiation

Would an object with negative math be immovable? If you push it, it will push back

No, stuff inside the device only acts like it has negative mass

negative mass, doesnt it mean it'll just keep collecting more energy

>"By causing an exciton to give up some of its identity to a photon to create a polariton, we end up with an object that has a negative mass associated with it,"
What does that even mean?

I had a cavity, it sucks man.

photon identity is a social construct

Negative mass AND cheap lasers?
What a time to be alive

So is this just a virtual particle (only works in a lab) or could it be produced in significant quantities?
Im guessing the former.

>virtual particle (only works in a lab)
That's not what a virtual particle is

this isn't another "ftl neutrino" type of story is it?

In after didn't actually happen.

No, it would just be like if two objects pushed at each other with equal force. Eventually one will just either break or slip past the other.

The authors don't even hint that that's the possibility but yes it certainly could be used for the FTL design.

OP here, this is how it works

Conservation of momentum
[math] m_{1}v_{1} = -m_{2}v_{2}[/math]

So if you think about it a positive mass object interacting with a negative mass object you have a negative [math]m_{2}[/math] so both sides of the equation will be positive. What this means is that if you have two objects of the same mass then you get this:
[math] mv_{1} = mv_{2}[/math] dividing both sides by m you get [math] v_{1}=v_{2} [/math] so both objects will leave in the same direction.

An example is you have two bowling balls, one of negative, and one of positive mass. The negative mass is at rest and the positive has a velocity of 1m/s striking the negative mass ball. because [math] v_{1}=v_{2} [/math] both balls leave in the same direction with 0.5 m/s velocity.

Sorry I actually realized I made a mistake on this as I haven't had much sleep.

Ball 1 has mass 5KG and velocity 1m/s
[math]m_{1} = 5kg[/math]
[math]v_{1} = \frac{1m}{s}[/math]

Ball 2 has a mass -5KG.
[math]m_{2} = -5kg[/math]

So as [math]m_{1}[/math] strikes [math]m_{2}[/math] the equation becomes

[math]5KG\times\frac{1m}{s} = 5kgv_{2}[/math]

[math]\frac{5KGm}{5KGs} = v_{2}[/math]
[math]v_{2} = \frac{1m}{s}[/math]

which means that conservation of momentum seems to be broken and I assume it's irrelevant.

I'm going to go drink myself to sleep.

All objects, regardless of the sign of their mass, must fall DOWN in a normal gravitational field. To do otherwise would contradict the Equivalence Principle.
All objects, regardless of the sign of their mass, must fall UP in a negative gravitational field -- which is what would surround a negative mass.
So a positive and a negative, if placed next to each other, would accelerate along the line connecting them. NET momentum and kinetic energy would remain zero at all times.

HOWEVER -- I highly doubt this is truly "negative mass" in the relativistic sense everyone seems to be assuming it is. More likely "quasi-particles" which BEHAVE as if they have negative mass -- in certain respects. That's been done before.
If you're riding in a car, you're shoved towards the rear as the car accelerates. But a helium balloon moves "the wrong way" under acceleration. It's an illusion. The balloon only seems to have negative weight (and falls "up") because its anomalous behavior is more than compensated for by the surrounding air going "the right way".
I'd be VERY surprised if the total apparatus didn't still have net positive mass.

Negative mass sounds like a fairytale.

What does this mean for the mass-energy equivalence when you have negative mass?

What does THAT mean for thermodynamics?

WHAT DOES ANYTHING MEAN? WE TIMETRAVEL NOW?

Uhhhh if this was accurate it would be the biggest discovery in 100 years. Literally would enable ftl travel. The fact that it's not bigger news makes me think it's not true.

Published yesterday. Will be big if it's replicated.

Everything on phys is memes rofl this would be trending on twitter w/ 100m tweets if true

Yup. Of course it is.

A shame it won't. But it won't.

>biggest discovery in 100 years
>would enable ftl travel

how retarded are you?

can someone please tell me if this also reverses the sign of the energy

in e=mc^2

What kind of bullshit is this? Wouldn't the negative mass cause it to decay quickly in any environment? And would it abandon all laws of gravity, pushing itself upwards instead or sinking down like normal?

Negative mass would still fall down.
Negative mass isn't anti-matter so it wouldn't just annihilate.

But this experiment has (almost certainly) NOT produced negative mass of the kind most everyone on this thread is imagining. No FTL.
See

If we make a spaceship with negative mass, it will just fly itself off earth

No it will not. Learn some relativity.

fuck my sides

This shit would be fucking dangerous and needs to be illegal.

Imagine some fucker running and tackling you while handcuffing a small block of negative-mass-block on your hand. You would fly into space and disappear in the sky like team rocket, nothing to stop you literally forever. You can´t even impact on another planet, not even be hit by asteroids. You would LITERALLY be forever alone.

A fucking useless spaceship that can´t ever land until you jettison your engine. The incarnation of a one way ticket.

So basically they have created something that repels all other objects no matter what? I would love a negative mass shed.

Would this mean you could invent armor impervious to anything?

For what purpose exactly? Also not all objects, just the ones that are big enough to have their own gravity.

I could reach enlightenment repelling all normies away lol. So what you saying is it basically just enters into another state of density? Does this relate to water's properties in any way when frozen? Sorry brainlet here who may be in some major think tanks soon.

Not so.
You simply open the Cavorite blinds on the side facing the planet you want to land on.
This was all worked out 117 years ago!

F (force) = m (mass) * g (gravity)

For normal matter that means you insert a positive value in that formular, which results in a force F of an antagonizing vector. (aka. You get drawn in the direction the gravity is attracting you).

If you insert negative mass the resulting Force will be negative and you will be pushed away by gravity.

If a negative mass bowling ball and a normal one would hit each other while rolling in opposite direction:

O --->X

>Cavorite blinds

Gravity is pushing you away, you have other problems than figuring out how to decelerate.

So gravity gets swirled at the point of contact?

Meaning if you were outputting a proportionate amount of energy you could tear the earth into an inside out ball without needing to displace matter like you would in a vacuum?

You're moving towards the Moon at high speed -- too high for comfort -- on the line directly between Earth and Moon.
You close the blinds on the side facing the Moon and it no longer attracts you.
You open the blinds on the opposite side and the Earth's pull retards your motion.

It's all very simple, if you have Cavorite. If you don't (since it can't exist) you're SOL.

For about the 5th time, negative mass does not fall up! If it did, Relativity and pretty much all modern physics would go down the toilet.
(Not going to reply to any brainlets who claim "all physics is wrong anyway.")

How the fuck would he be holding it

There is no such thing as a story of mass for stories created in experiments of small things in the same way as there is a story for mass deduced in the story of everyday objects. There is simply a list of behaviors that are "masslike" when we reuse the story of mass.
You do the same thing with wave particle duality: you expect the story of small things to inherit the story of particle and wave in the same way these stories were created by the stories they were in.That messes with your understanding because you are trying to inherit one story into another using the same stories to make it.
But if it quacks like a duck and flies like a duck it is NOT a duck but "ducklike" for the intent of the story. Even if you list all of the infinite stories ducks could be in it is still a story of a "ducklike story" created by the story the duck is in.
Mass, or any definition, is a collection of stories that are used in other stories, that are made by the story you are using. For example, Mass has no weight outside of a gravitational field. It is not part of a story where the story of force is created by the story. The story of what is happening creates the story, so without a gravitational field you would never know that mass had a force attached to it at all.
We reuse these stories to make stories, but the stories we have limit and create the stories we can make, and when they are reused and create new stories the stories we reused are not the same stories anymore.
And just like the force of weight is dependent on the configuration of the story and we cannot know whether the field creates the weight or the weight creates the field, the story of mass changes with configuration.
So we don’t know if polaritons even interact or create gravity, but to assume that by not behaving as if they have a positive mass in one story that they don’t do other non-mass things is a failing of your reuse of the story of mass.

>why isnt murderer flying away

He just needs lead boots.

Why didn't the guy holding it in the first place blast off into space?

>tl;dr user tells a story

He had more anti anti mass.

You mean mass?
>thin people BTFO

Americans will be unstopable

>So basically they have created something that repels all other objects no matter what?

if by 'they' you mean your parents, then yes.

As near as I can tell, the paper only describes the dissipation of light in a resonant cavity, through quasi-particle excitations in the electric fields inside the cavity walls, which have the negative mass when dissipated in the cavity's walls. Hopefully I'm not too horrifically wrong, but it doesn't sound like an anti-gravity device.

might be a good space elevator anchor

I like the way you put this, I might want to use this sort of presentation in a video game focused on magic

We truly are an amazing species
I mean
>negative mass
What the fuck is this I don't even
I really fucking hope this is true

Interstellar Confederation of Man
ICM or ICoM
Works well.
I'm going to place money on 2080, 2090 & 2100

nothing new, average sci user's brain has negative mass

it's new tho

its clickbait like every other fantastical physics "discovery". Physics is dead kiddo.

God damn son

take your nihilism somewhere else gramps, we still got a couple of decades until perpetual innovation, who will be laughing then I wonder

every time there's some new discovery it turns out to be bullshit.

Why is that nigger so excited about laser applications of this?
>create form of matter previously only theorized to exist
>base requirement for all models of FTL travel the show any promise
>perpetual motion machines could become possible(probably not but maybe)
>new realm of physics to study
> “it can make a laser that requires very little energy! You see the way it differs from traditional lasers is...”
Bro, FUCK your lasers, nobody cares. Figure out more about negative mass applications first, then you can play with your gay ass lasers.

>perpetual motion machines could become possible
/thread

Effective masses. Check out the supplementary info.

>literally cause a negative mass phenomenon
>wants to use it for Fucking microlasers.
This autist is both amazing and retarded at the same time. Perpetual motion, FTL, all kinds of fun shit, and the faggot wants to build microlasers with it. I hate all humanity is sometimes.

The fact it's effective mass is still a rather good step and practically confirms negative mass as theoretically doable. Which still means all the fun shit, and the fag wants to instead of continuing down this path, wants to make Fucking microlasers.

Fingers crossed cunt, gotta keep hopeful

Brainlet here. What does negative mass even mean?

It means it has the opposite effect on spacetime as regular mass does.

This reality keeps making less and less sense.

>It's happening

Yo bastard idiots, It didn't actually happen, stop bumping this shit thread.

>Other research groups have been experimenting with similar devices, Vamivakas says, but this is the first device to produce particles with negative mass.
>the first device to produce particles with negative mass.
> negative mass.

Well ?