Is Prep Cook a comfy job?

Is Prep Cook a comfy job?

What the fuck is that shit?
Why not just eat a god damn strawberry

Do you find chopping 50lbs of veggies and plating salads all night comfy?

Yes, put in your earbuds and get to work. I'd kill for a job like this that payed $10 an hour or over.

boy do i have some good news for you

You'd kill for one of the most easily found jobs? Any large chain sit-down restaurant or major hotel is going to pay $9-$10/hr for starting prep cooks.

I make 12.04 as a prep cook.

>7490▶
>
>I make 12.04 as a prep cook.
That 4¢ made all the difference, dinnit?

It was a raise from 11.81.

Shit, I've seen hotels and resorts offering $11-12 for dishwashers.

I'm actually prep cook and dishwasher. I actually enjoy prep a fuck ton more than dishing.

Where do you prep? How'd you get the job? What was your experience beforehand?

Having been a dish dog, I'd imagine people would enjoy a lot of things more than dishing.

Still, it's not a terribly complicated job and it's always on my go-to list for quick pocket money.

Kitchen jobs are 90% showing up and 10% doing your job with an acceptable amount of bitching.

Most Chefs are looking for people who can clock in on time, do bitch work all night and learn something new when asked.

You can go to culinary school if you want to skip a few years of the bitch work, but if you don't have the work ethic no culinary degree is going to keep the Chef from tossing you out with the trash.

Dishwasher here, $14//hr + meal + share of weekly tip out.

Do you like early morning work? The prep kitchen gets pumped pretty hard early every morning and they're under a fair bit of supervision. Serious business, not a lot of smiles. Steady pace, same routine most days.

Line seems like they have way more fun, work late, and don't really have too many people watching over them. But it gets busy as fuck, and shits always going sideways. Lots of laughs, but dudes look burnt out as fuck and they all seem to party hard late into the night most every night.

Come work in dish buddy, that's the job that gets all the Pussy. :)

Seriously, if you can stay on top of cups and silverware, all the FoH girls will treat you like a fucking hero.

An upscale assisted living home.
Got the job because they were desperate for someone to dish and I was the only applicant who passed the drug and background check. No previous experience.
I warn though, pretty much everyone in the kitchen shits on the dishwasher. That's why I like prep. It gets more respect. It may sound like it's so small but it makes all the difference.

You can tell a lot about someone by how they treat the dishwasher.

There's always going to be ribbing and banter, but the cooks and chefs that came up the hard way are always going to take care of the dish dogs because they understand it's a shit job but it's the operational foundation of the kitchen.

Same
Been working at this Italian place for 4 years now busting my ass doing dishes and they finally let me do prep work, or they tried at least
Every summer is a mess for them, sometimes dishwashers wouldn't even show and they'd throw me on dishes for the night (I was pissed but eh, been doing that for so long)
I'm not certified in anything really and have no education, but the owner knows me well so he trusts me I guess
I enjoyed it a ton, probably the best job I've had so far. Tiring most nights but still very rewarding knowing I helped keep the kitchen moving

Good money?

>good money
>in a kitchen

Dumbest question I've seen asked on here in a while.

It's all relative my dude

$9/hr
Compared to some other numbers on here, average I suppose
I only work summer's now that I'm in college and it's where I make most of my bread

You don't need to be certified to be a prep cook, the most you'd need is a state food handlers card and that can be acquired in an afternoon.

Honestly kitchen jobs are some of the easiest jobs to land, but they're pretty NEET proof because you actually have to work. It's not like a big box retail job where you can hide in the stock room. If you leave your station you'd better be injured or dead.

My kitchen at home is where I make most of my bread.

Yeah, being my first job while in high school definitely taught me good work ethic

HAHAHAHAHA LMAO user

This.
Before I was a lazy fuck up. Didn't give a shit about going back to college or even showering. My first supervisor was a tough motherfucker to please. I eventually taught myself work ethic and perseverance. 3 years later I'm prepcook/dishwasher full time and full time student on the honor roll. Kinda makes me wish I did this sooner.

Why not stay in school and get a decent job and then on weekends you could buy yourself a big bag of potatoes and peel them and cut them up as a treat.

I feel you there, kitchens have a way of kicking your ass into shape. Can't be lazy if they rely on you to prepare their food. Pounding chicken and veal for hours especially whipped my ass, but I eventually got good at it.
I work Fridays now at my campus's cafeteria as a utility worker, not prep work but hey it's a paycheck

Those $14 are in Canadian dollars, so with our taxes/deductions, it's probably close to $9.

The place I worked, I actually enjoyed showing up early around 10-11am, whipping up a few items and clocking out around 3-4pm most days. You don't get that sense of completion like when you close for the night and say goodnight to everyone, but it's still nice knowing you get the rest of the day to just chill

I got accustomed to pounding meat off the clock if you know what I'm saying

user, you witty cunt

ive been doing line work and now a sous and its been 2.5 years bub. in New England. 23/hr with 10 OT a week. im loving it

10-11am is early for you? I get up at three am to be a stocker at a feed store. WTF.

you lucky but also hard working motherfucker

Damn, that's graveyard shift dude
They didn't open until 10 for prep, Most of the time the place wouldn't let me in before 11am because the owner wasent there and they said i was a liability
I liked it mostly because I liked coming in when there was no service (They don't do breakfast) and leaving when things start speeding up.
I liked when the kitchen was quiet and I could just focus on the food, it was nice

I once farted blood.

dishy who does a bit of prep and cooking here

>21/hr

feels good to be not-american

I work at a breakfast place
I get in at around 5am

What country?

Sudan and Nigeria

>tfw no strong black man to cook for me

I work as a prep at a nursing home for 10/hr. It's a good job, you kinda get to be in your own world. But when shit goes down you're the one everyone turns to, which is often at my place.

It's nice seeing people enjoying the desert and food you helped make though.

PROTIP: the line cooks look burnt out as fuck because they stay up after their shifts drinking and doing drugs.

That's what I want to do now. I dish/prep but want to go to full time prep.
It's mostly because I don't have to do too much interactions and not relying on retards for me to do my job.

>pretty much everyone in the kitchen shits on the dishwasher

you're working at a shitty kitchen then

any place worth a damn knows the dishwasher is incredibly important and valuable

i've been doing it for 10 years. I have an English Degree. I prep. Go home and do whatever I want. It is comfy. Nice thing is it's translatable to any city. Pay is shit but you can easy make it to 15 if you're good. It is easy and laid-back. Good way to develop knife skills.
tl;dr: it's comfy if you don't give a shit.

It is a pretty bad kitchen. It was also my first job so maybe that makes me resent it.

I do like improving my knife technique. I've gotten compliments on my knife skills.

TRUTH

Why don't they get a freaking machine?

At my job I use a machine. Still sucks working with high school retard waitstaff.