What is the Veeky Forums equivalent of Radiohead?

What is the Veeky Forums equivalent of Radiohead?

Jonathan Franzen or Stephen King. Or JK Rowling

dfw

I equate popular music with genre fiction, who's an acclaimed sci-fi author who first published in the 90s?

david foster wallace

Charlie Stross? maybe Cory Doctorow?

jonathan safran foer

нo

>I equate popular music with genre fiction
pleb spotted

bookiohead?

John Green

DFW for sure. Their lyrics talk about the same type of shit DFW talks about (anxiety, depression, feeling of emptiness in a modern society) and they appeal to the same type of people

I think Thom often sings about the same thing that DFW wrote about in IJ; that constant inescapable voice in the back your mind that thats trying to tell something is horribly wrong despite everything seeming fine on the surface

Radiohead doesn't try as hard at their medium as he did at his.

If we're talking about their message, I would say Kafka.
Also, why does everyone at mu hate on them? Is it just because their popular?

/mu/ is contrarian shitfest, both OKC and KA are some of their earliest core albums

mu loves and hates everyone. Theres not a single artist than can be reasonbly there. mu think every band is either sent by god himself or is a bunch of hackfrauds

I take this back Cioran's 'nihilistic paralysis' themes are similar to Thom's lyrics

Very true. Let Down is basically Kafka

/mu/ hates the Beatles. I think we can discount their opinion.

No they don't. Most of them love them. The Scaruffi stuff is just a meme

What? Radiohead are not mainstream because they have messages agains the system

Why the FUCK is Thom wearing a U2 shirt?

Murakami

something really pleb that a lot of people like and think is really "artistic"

David Foster Wallace, in every possible sense.

/mu/ goes through cycles of loving something, then when it becomes totally ubiquitous starts hating it, then when all the hype dies down starts liking it again. It's not to do with being popular IRL, it's all about how popular it is on /mu/.

I would also hazard that this is what's going on with Veeky Forums and DFW.

Irony?

THE FACT

i bet you think tripe like This Heat, Autechre, or Coil are patrician

A lot of people who get deeply into music find the beatles pretty dull after a while, and I doubt that many people raised on modern music will listen twice (or once) to songs like When I'm 64. Dad-rock on the whole is ageing far worse than people anticipated. I think even calling it dad-rock is a misnomer now. It's the music of our grandparents era, and that's where most of the love for it will stay.

The Veeky Forums equivalent of the beatles is probably something like Harry Potter.

Radiohead is one of the plebiest bands out there.

>The Veeky Forums equivalent of the beatles is probably something like Harry Potter.
This. My grandparents love Harry Potter.