Exotic Fruits that Aren't That Good

Dragonfruit isn't even that good.

We all have different tastes my dude

Agreed.
Still though: anyone that goes out of their to buy this must be doing it for nostalgia or to feel unique.

The ones at the store/farmers market are shit. No flavour. A homegrown one of the correct variety are good, but even a top tier dragonfruit is nowhere near as good as a home grown pluot.

most of them aren't. they lack a thousand year of selective breeding to make the flavor stronger and the texture better. Most are just barely sweet water with grass after taste.

GMO when?

They could be seedless, beautiful, and taste sweet.

Most of the time, fruit breeding programs dont use gmo, but manual breeding. Put anti insect nets over tree, select two trees to breed. Take pollen from one. Manually pollinate blossoms. Wait for fruits. Plant seeds. Wait 5-10 years for fruit. Weed out bad tasting or disease prone fruit. After a couple years of testing select those with superior quality taste, transportation potential, disease resistance, tree vigor, how productive the tree is, appealing look of fruit.

Then they propagate the winners through asexual propagation (grafting and budding) and test the trees in different environments. Repeat.

>exotic fruits
Is just fruit nigga

This user is 2exotic4me.

and these people who put in the good work to make efficient, good, large food get lambasted, ostracized, alienated. Everybody likes a banana but wouldn't touch a natural one, fuckers

Slight clarification. My post was only related to fruit trees. I never looked into seeds etc. although i have never read evidence that gmos are poison.

It is a really long process for a fruit breeder to bring a new fruit tree to market. The person i asked who does this said it could take as long as 20 years to complete. And then they have to take out a patent which expires something like 15-20 years after the patent is issued or the application is submitted (im not sure which because the law changed recently).

Relatively new fruit such as pink lady(original name cripps pink), honeycrisp, dapple dandy pluot (usually named dinosaur egg in the supermaket) were created a long time ago and now that the patent has expired farmers are freely propagating the fruit trees which explains the explosion in availability of these fruits. Just wait 5-10 years and you are going to see an increase in quality when it comes to pluots in supermarkets.

Dragonfruit is bland af.
Rambuten is probably the best mix of looking completely insane and actually tasting good too.

2 Interesting facts about about bananas.

1) You know that banana candy flavor that tastes nothing like the bananas in stores?

Well there was an actual banana that tasted that way but it fell out of favor because it did not travel well.

2) The yellow bananas in store are a variety named cavendish which was selected to be sold in the mass markets not because of flavor but because it could travel well throughout the world and because it is virtually seedless. Fruit breeders are attempting to breed new bananas because it is practically a monoculture and a certain virus or disease is threatening the entire banana industry.

That fake banana flavor rules. 99bananas shots

These look like alien ovaries.

Banana flavors in candy etc. are the chemical isoamyl acetate

Cavendish is the main banana variety because panama disease (actually a fungus) wiped out the previous main variety, known as Gros Michael. A new Panama disease strain is right now destroying cavendish crops, so it may be replaced with another variety within 10 years.

mosquitoes. not even that good.

Lychee. Nice taste, but has the texture of raw chicken.

It's like more expensive, harder to eat, less nutritious grapes.

Rambutan and Loquat are the best exotic fruits. Running across a loquat tree in season is basically a reason to sit around in the shade and eat cool sweet fruit on a hot day. I was doing construction in Guatemala and we just fucking quit working to eat loquats from a tree we found. Bossman wasn't even mad he just sat down and ate with us.

>I was doing construction in Guatemala and we just fucking quit working to eat loquats from a tree we found. Bossman wasn't even mad he just sat down and ate with us.

Life's little pleasures, man.