I'll have an opportunity to eat aged wagyu in a few days, but it's gonna cost fucking $125 per serving...

I'll have an opportunity to eat aged wagyu in a few days, but it's gonna cost fucking $125 per serving. Is it worth paying for the meme? I don't even like fatty cuts honestly, I prefer leaner, but this opportunity won't come often.

Other urls found in this thread:

kobe-niku.jp/shop/?lang=1&prefecture=&tag=3
kobe-niku.jp/en/contents/certification/index.html
id.nlbc.go.jp/english/
kobe-niku.jp/en/contents/exported/index.php
yelp.com/biz/roka-akor-houston-houston-3
yelp.com/biz/b-and-b-butchers-and-restaurant-houston-4?q=wagyu
yelp.com/biz/nick-and-sams-dallas
yelp.com/biz/alexanders-steakhouse-pasadena-pasadena
cid.nlbc.go.jp/english/
yelp.com/biz/alexanders-steakhouse-san-francsico
alexanderssteakhouse.com/sanfrancisco/files/ASH_SF.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i would grind it and put chocolate in it. and then I would drink it, but thats just me.

That marbling looks delicious

seems a tad fatty doesnt it? I'm by no means a dieter or a health nut but I know for a fact that eating that much PURE FAT would probably feel fucking horrible.

What does 125 bucks mean to you op? It's obviously going to be good. 125 bucks good? Only if that is disposable income and there isn't something you're sure you'd enjoy you could pour that into. But I mean if you have the money, sheer novelty is a pretty good reason to do it.

If it's really wagyu go for it!
It's allot of cash but a night of stupidity at any urban club will cost about the same.

Yes, it's real.

I'm taking my girlfriend out for the night. I'm not sure if she'd order it or not, but I was just curious if it truly was as amazing as they say, considering it's $125 for 5 oz.

Wagyu is just Japanese beef, its better than American beef, but not worth more than double the cost of American beef.

If you can get legit Kobe or Matsusaka A5, its worth it but its so fatty that you'll only want to eat a little bit

are you dumb? why would eating a moderate amount of fat make you feel 'fucking horrible'?

I'm jelly. Any experience is worth it once. People drop that much on meme athletic shoes if that makes you feel better.

If you got the money or if it's a special night for you and gf just do it OP. Only do it if you know she's a keeper.

Look again, user. The "beef" in OP is nearly 50% composed of fat. By calorie, fat must account for 70+% of the meat... Again, I'm no fitness freak but I am not purposefully trying to give myself an early heart attack. You wouldn't eat sticks of butter, or drink bacon grease would you?

We've been together for four and a half years, and are planning on marrying when I finish school and start a career, so I wouldn't mind treating her. At the very least I would let her order it, I don't mind if she does. I'm just curious if I should get one for myself. 5 oz. isn't exactly enough to share. I couldn't imagine it's truly that different from just really, really fatty ribeye, but I don't know enough about beef to throw these guesses around, I'm a fishmonger so seafood is my specialty.

Anyone who isn't an idiot knows these wagyu beef in America aren't worth a shit. It's illegal to export authentic Kobe wagyu beef. These are mixed breed with longhorn. You're paying for a somewhat fancy cut of an $800 dollar steer. It's not worth it unless you're actually in Japan. It isn't just about fat marbling. Being grass fed on only Kobe environment makes wagyu what it truly is

You sound like the dumbass that would buy lean ground beef for a burger

>Implying authentic Kobe wagyu isn't grain finished

Just grab some man. Also just split the beef. I have no idea where you're going to get it from. I tried both Wagyu and Kobe from Kobe Japan around 5 years ago for family visit. The texture and taste is amazing.

Post pics of your bitch tits. I bet you don't even use zero calorie cooking spray you simpleminded fool

>You wouldn't eat sticks of butter, or drink bacon grease would you?
umm yeah?

>Dietary fat means you're fat
Damn this meme sure is stale

As far as beef goes this is as good as it gets! Only had a couple of times and really enjoyed it.
Have fun Desu!

The wagyu I've had at Michelin Star restaurants in America comes with a wagyu certificate of authenticity.

>Wagyu strip steak is 50% fat

Just stop.

Yes. They're domestic mixed breeds. It's literally illegal to import Japanese beef.

There's a few restaurants in America that are allowed to sell real wagyu from what I've heard. Last I saw it was 9 restaurants, but whether or not there's some bullshit behind the "real" label with those particular ones, I don't know.

wagyu just means its a kobe beef cow that isnt from kobe. its an indication of lineage like angus.
you cant call it wagyu if you mix it with anything else

This is not true anymore and hasn't been for a few years now.

No, that's not true. It's completely legal to import beef from Japan to the US assuming proper documentation, and millions of pounds a year are. It is, however, often illegal to go the other way due to the US's poor food safety standards.

And while most US-available "wagyu" is domestic crossbreeds, the dish OP is contemplating is Japanese graded and sourced from a part of Japan that has its own DOC for high-quality beef.

OP's dish is legit and fairly-priced, though it's not likely to be the absolute peak since it doesn't mention a specific marbling grade. I'd go for it.

Stop lying. Wagyu as a designation only means its a cow that was raised in Japan. Japanese prefer fattier beef so it usually better than American beef but wagyu as a distinction only indicates country of origin

>however, often illegal to go the other way due to the US's poor food safety standards.

You stop lying too. Japanese supermarkets are pretty much 1/2 wagyu, and then a mix of 1/4-1/2 US and Aussie beef. The US and Aussie beef always sells for around half of what the wagyu sells for because its less fatty and Japanese people who are eating beef either will splurge and get the much better tasting Japanese beef or they need a lot of beef for a summer bbq and aren't going to by the lower quality stuff unless they're getting a deal. The all you can eat yakiniku places pretty much exclusively stock aussie and US beef since they'd go out of business other wise and the only place outside of a high end butcher to get a cut of steak larger than a centimeter sells Angus, which is still cheaper than the wagyu you'll find in most supermarkets

>OP's dish is legit and fairly-priced, though it's not likely to be the absolute peak since it doesn't mention a specific marbling grade. I'd go for it.

I'd be eating at Yachtsman Steakhouse, it's graded A5.

You're both wrong, and EOPs like you should probably leave this thread. The proper designation refers to specific breeds or mixes including them (so it's not just any breed but also not pureline, both line) both bred and raised in Japan and with specific documentation requirements, 国産牛 is a separate and less prestigious term for cattle raised in Japan from any breed.

While restrictions on US beef import are currently low, we're in a lull. As recently as a couple years ago bone-in American beef was banned. And I can't even begin to imagine where you shop that's all 和牛 and no 国産牛, don't you have a shareholder meeting or something you should be at this time of day?

Marble grading is separate from standard grading and runs 1-12, no letters. A5 implies a marble grading of 8+, though, while USDA Prime is a 4-ish, so it'll still be quite good.

the taste is very delicious,melts in your mouth with superb tangy flavors,though ive only gone through a grade 9
i would say thats its probably a meme though,the best meat i tasted is a 300 days grain fed Strayan beef,wonderful chewing,wonderful aroma and not too inflated in price

>fishmonger
Are you the guy who hates crawfish?

Is aged meat, fat takes a different taste

I generally prefer slightly leaner cuts of steak, I had a rib eye a while back and it was too fatty for me. But I was given the opportunity I would definitely take it.

When they give you wagyu they are supposed to cut it quite thin comparative to your standard steak because of it's high fat content.
Just pay for it dude, you'll regret it if you don't. If you're worried about it being too fatty get a side dish that cleanses your palate so it's not so overwhelming.

>Disney Dining Plan

I have worked at Disney foods for a few years. If you are eating in the states it is not the true stuff. So keep that in mind.

>cooking spray is an aerosol with fat
>calorie free cooking spray

What did he mean by this?

The u.s. has good food safety standards. The Japanese policy is a result market protectionism on their part.

Did it in Vegas for 6 ounces for like 350 bucks. Shit wasn't even close to worth it.

like 20% better then a ribeye from costco, maybe, for more than 30 times the price.

Yes, I am that autist.

You really don't want to eat more than 4 ounces or so of real wagyu. It's extremely rich. Yeah, it's a delicacy, so it's going to be expensive. If you have the disposable income and are a beef lover/love trying new things, go for it.

I'll post a couple of Kobe/Wagyu pics just to bump your thread, because this board needs more actual food discussion

Do it faggot
Shit is gonna be amazing

Fat = Flavor

I know this and I weigh 130 pounds. Eating a fatty substance is not the same as eating piles of it because you expanded your stomach by shoveling shit and garbage into your mouth.

That's what divides Veeky Forums, eaters and cooks.

>weighs 130
Show us your pussy bitch

Captcha: Ausfahrt hote

Waguy is worth the money but it's not worth 125 dollars.

>"Have Fun"
Jesus, it's not like he's going to be fucking it.

kobe-niku.jp/shop/?lang=1&prefecture=&tag=3

Current American Restaurants that serve Certified Genuine Japanese Wagyu Imported from Japan with Proof.

212 Steakhouse
316 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022

Alexander's Steakhouse-Cupertino
10330 North Wolfe Road, Cupertino, CA, 95014

Alexander's Steakhouse-San Francisco
448 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107

Shibumi
815 South Hill St、Los Angeles, CA

Arsenal
715 Brannan St.San Francisco,Ca 94103

Bazaar Mar
USA1300 S Miami Ave,Miami,FL33130

Bazaar Meat by José Andrés
2535 S Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV, 89109

MGM RESORTS INTERNATIONAL
3730 Lubio S LU, NV, 89149, U.S.A.

Nick&Sam's Steakhouse
3008 Maple Avenue,Dallas,TX75201,USA

RPM Steak
66 W Kinzie St,Chicago IL60654

Teppanyaki Ginza Onodera
1726 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96826

Wynn Las Vegas
3131 Las Vegas Blvd. South Las Vegas, NV 89109

B+B Butchers + Restaurant
TX77007 1814 Washington Ave,Houston Texas

Roka Akor - Houston
2929 Weslayan St.Houston, TX 77027

Looks like I'm out of luck then in west jeebusville.

Well I am only an hour away from Roka Akor.

he's a fucking flyover, he'd eat his own mother if she were slathered in sticks of butter and bacon grease.

you'd get him thinking harder if you mentioned the weight limit of his motorized scooter.

If OP and anyone else on Veeky Forums buys Genuine Wagyu from Japan, there should always be a 10 digit ID Number the meat wholesaler or retailers gives you that you can input into these 2 links' search bars in order to find out everything about your Japanese Wagyu, from your Cow's Great Grandfather to the date of your Cow's Birth.

id.nlbc.go.jp/english/

So if you ever feel like it, check these 10 digit ID Numbers that come with your Japanese Wagyu in order to know if you aren't being scammed.

If the restaurant you are eating at provides a certificate, you can use your smartphone and input the ID Numbers into these 2 links and you'll very likely know more about the cow than the restaurant itself.

id.nlbc.go.jp/english/

Most people don't know about the second link by the way because barely anyone outside Japan bothers checking out Japanese government websites since Japanese government barely bothers to make some of their websites into English.

I just kinda lucked out one day due to being interested in Japanese beef and just spent a whole day just clicking links and reading random shit until I stumbled onto this link

id.nlbc.go.jp/english/

Not only that but this page tells the date when Japan exports their beef outside Japan:

kobe-niku.jp/en/contents/exported/index.php

Extremely useful post, user. I'll bookmark all these thinks, thanks.

wow guys check out the marbling on this steak, really marbled over this is the ultimate kobe steak, supremely marbled and extremely expensive. $1000 + tip for this beauty, everyone knows japs do it better so I gladly paid naruto-sensei for this steak which has been folded 1 million times in beef marbles. supremely marbled. ultimate flavor. expensive. japanese.

I'm not the admin on that page but my post has removed some Japanese restaurants that appeared on that link because one American Deli/Butcher that was serving genuine Japanese Wagyu closed down like a few months ago and the page hasn't updated by removing that American Deli/Butcher from their list.

There was also some American hotel that stopped serving Wagyu on their menu in 2017 so I didn't include it on my post on Veeky Forums.

Before I posted these restaurants, I at least made sure Japanese Wagyu was still on their menu.

Shame I can't contact the web admin to tell them to update their American restaurant list because the website specifically states "Inquires in Japanese Please"

good post, are you lost?

Furthermore, some of these restaurants may have more than one location that serve genuine Japanese wagyu but are not included on this list.

For example, Alexander's Steakhouse's Pasadena Location also serves Wagyu so just check the restaurant menu online before you go.

There's two Houston restaurants:

Roka Akor - Houston

yelp.com/biz/roka-akor-houston-houston-3

B+B Butchers + Restaurant

yelp.com/biz/b-and-b-butchers-and-restaurant-houston-4?q=wagyu

Never visited these restaurants myself, but Roka Akor seems more seafood focused while B+B Butchers also serves American wagyu so be careful about ordering the wrong wagyu.

There's one more restaurant in Texas that serves genuine Japanese wagyu called Nick and Sam's Steakhouse

yelp.com/biz/nick-and-sams-dallas

Not telling you where to go since I'm not a Texas native, myself, but maybe ask friends or family if any of them are familiar with these restaurants because it would suck if a restaurant gave you a bad experience with Japanese wagyu despite you spending so much money.

Also by the way, the only restaurant on this list I could vouch for when it comes to serving Japanese wagyu is probably Alexander's Steakhouse Pasadena since I have old friends who ate there 5 times already and they seem to love it judging by their facebook/instagram.

They are the only ones I know who ate Japanese wagyu in America so if you are ever in the Pasadena, California area and want to eat some Japanese beef, I can recommend Alexander's Steakhouse Pasadena

yelp.com/biz/alexanders-steakhouse-pasadena-pasadena

You're in Florida, right?

Seems I might have made a mistake with Bazaar Mar, Miami Florida.

Their current menu may have removed wagyu.

However, even if you don't live anywhere near these restaurants, as long as you can get an official certificate and 10 Digit ID Number, you should be okay since Japan exports their beef to specific American meat wholesalers and retailers and those meat wholesalers and retailers can do business with whomever contacts them.

Only the Japanese wagyu comes with 10 Digit ID Numbers, not American wagyu much less Australian wagyu.

Some fancy restaurants may have got ahold of genuine Japanese beef not listed on this page by contacting those American meat distributors rather than getting in contact with Japanese meat distributors and that's perfectly okay. Just make sure they show you the certificate and listed 10 digit ID Number so you can check if they aren't scamming you.

The main benefit of contacting Japan when you want to serve Japanese beef is that they send you that Golden Plaque of a Cow for you to display at your restaurant and you have your restaurant name listed on that page.

that's pretty much what it costs in japan at average touristy steak houses. it probably is real though, the other restaurants anons are listing aren't the only ones selling
it in the us, iust the ones with proof. I would honestly rather eat american wagyu, it has the perfect amount of marbling.

that appears to only apply to beef from kobe, not miyazaki. not sure about your other link.

>falling for the corn lobbyist scare tactics

Cmon senpai

raw beef should be lean
fat, even highly marbled fat, tastes greasy and waxy if it's uncooked

It's the same 10 digit ID number system for all Japanese cattle.

You can use this searchbar for all Japanese cattle sold in Japan.

cid.nlbc.go.jp/english/

That's why I provided two links so you could combine the information from two sources to increase your scrutiny levels.

>that's pretty much what it costs in japan at average touristy steak houses. it probably is real though, the other restaurants anons are listing aren't the only ones selling it in the us, iust the ones with proof.

Yeah but the thing is that the restaurants that have proof that they are selling Japanese wagyu seem to offer the most variety of Japanese wagyu for interested customers.

For example, here's Alexander's Steakhouse San Francisco's selection of Japanese Wagyu they offer:

yelp.com/biz/alexanders-steakhouse-san-francsico

alexanderssteakhouse.com/sanfrancisco/files/ASH_SF.pdf

1) Hokkaido Japan A5
2) Miyagi Sendai Japan A5
3) Gunma Japan A5
4) Gifu Hidagyu Japan A5
5) Shiga Ohmi Japan A5
6) Hyogo Kobe Japan A5
7) Oita Japan A5
8) Saga Japan A5
9) Kumamoto Japan A5
10) Miyazaki Japan A5
11) Kagoshima Kusunoki Japan A5
12) Tajima F1 Australia
13) Lone Mountain Ranch New Mexico, U.S.
14) Imperial Wagyu Nebraska, U.S.
15) Sher Black Australia

As you can see, both America and Australia produce their own version of wagyu as well. Some 100% full blooded or some crossbred.

was just pointing out the kobe link probably wouldn't work for OP

yeah that's great and all, but it's not like OP is going to travel to another state for something he is not even sure is worth his money.

also, are you on adderall? reminding me of my adderall and ritalin days