Buddhist literature

Hello e/lit/e gentlemen, please recommend some essential Buddhist reading for a beginner.

Other urls found in this thread:

arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/zenmind.pdf
static.squarespace.com/static/5037f52d84ae1e87f694cfda/t/5055915f84aedaeee9181119/1347785055665/
youtube.com/watch?v=MSFvBE0xt84
amazon.com/Mind-Illuminated-Complete-Meditation-Integrating/dp/0990847705
amazon.com/Mindfulness-English-Bhante-Henepola-Gunaratana/dp/0861719069/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493228903&sr=1-1&keywords=Mindfulness in Plain English, by Bhante Gunaratana
amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Anthology-Discourses-Teachings/dp/0861714911/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
amazon.com/Eight-Mindful-Steps-Happiness-Walking/dp/0861711769/ref=pd_sim_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0861711769&pd_rd_r=39E7XKCVAR3R9WAFES2W&pd_rd_w=arckc&pd_rd_wg=9AWf5&psc=1&refRID=39E7XKCVAR3R9WAFES2W
amazon.com/Gotama-Buddha-Biography-Based-Reliable/dp/4333018935/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493229368&sr=1-1&keywords=gotama buddha
amazon.com/Gotama-Buddha-Two-Biography-Reliable/dp/4333020727/ref=pd_sbs_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=4333020727&pd_rd_r=J993EAHGPA77XXFM4A5S&pd_rd_w=JxQjW&pd_rd_wg=PFoWk&psc=1&refRID=J993EAHGPA77XXFM4A5S
amazon.com/Old-Path-White-Clouds-Footsteps/dp/0938077260/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493229744&sr=1-3&keywords=buddha biography
otakusmash.com/read-manga/Buddha/001.001
amazon.com/Buddhism-Without-Beliefs-Contemporary-Awakening/dp/1573226564/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493230133&sr=1-1&keywords=buddhism without beliefs
amazon.com/Confession-Buddhist-Atheist-Stephen-Batchelor/dp/0385527071/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0385527071&pd_rd_r=GFCN84SHPYEQ8TB86Z54&pd_rd_w=4gQ6K&pd_rd_wg=62527&psc=1&refRID=GFCN84SHPYEQ8TB86Z54
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DT Suzuki, Manual of Zen Buddhism

Paul Reps, Zen Flesh Zen Bones

Dhammapada my man. Why even ask.

Brad Warner is very accessible, idk how you feel about punk

Genjokoan is pretty essential but not "beginner" in that it won't spell out what you need to do. Give it a shot tho

LICK MY BUTTHOLE

Buddhism isn't good for westerners you are being led down the wrong path by convenience

Go directly to the most important scriptures that have a good commentary and glossary.

This is both bad and good advice, desu. It's bad advice if you are one of the few suitable Westerners for Buddhism; good advice if you aren't.

>few suitable Westerners for Buddhism

like recovering heroin addicts and alcoholics

No.

some other addiction then

westerners that get into buddhism get it into it because they can't handle the chaos of life or think that being a meek nobody will help the world somehow

Is it the tongue, the body, or the mind that truly licks butthole?

>because they can't handle the chaos of life
even if your post were entirely true, what's wrong with this?

go live in a country where Buddhism is a traditional religion and see why

no

yeah, why live as a meek nobody when you can strive and fail to achieve infinite fame and fortune, and die a meek nobody. the western notion that because you (technically) can, you should, no, MUST

i know this is some facebook meme shit but:

>"Success - meet or exceed the expectations of every person you have ever met or ever will meet and, after having done so, maintain a steady upwards trajectory until death."

my point exactly, Buddhists are too meek find any meaning in life for themselves so they become spiritual capacitors for the rest of their existence

if you like simplistic sounding but actually deep zen stuff, read zen mind beginner's mind by suzuki shinryu
arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/zenmind.pdf

if you want a detailed step by step guide to navigating the stages of insight and concentration meditation ala vipassana read daniel ingram's book mastering the core teachings of the buddha
static.squarespace.com/static/5037f52d84ae1e87f694cfda/t/5055915f84aedaeee9181119/1347785055665/

Read wings to awakening by thanissaro bikkhu, it's free in accesstoinsight.org also this website contains a shitload of translations from the pali canon. Id say it's the best site to consult theravada teachings

And for more books you could try wisdom publications :)

this because it's as vapid and retarded as white Buddhists

The Way of Zen

Im not a buddhist but I enjoyed the book "Everyday Mind" by Jean Smith. It was given to me by a buddhist friend and I was blown away by the wisdom and insight in this book, and its clear mindedness. Its so easy to read and understand, and so rich with wisdom, that it honestly gave me a strange feeling of joyousness at the benevolence of the world, and the compassion I could feel within myself for other beings

Perfect! Thank you user.

buddhism without beliefs by stephen batchelor

Lacan have something to say about texts which flirt so much with the reader.

Nanavira Thera - Clearing the path

Read introduction and letters first.

Thank you for this recommendation.

Get a steady meditation practice going on first lad.

>Practising meditation without a teacher
Western Buddhists sicken me.

It's the current year lad, you don't need to join a group to start with basic vipassana.

That's cute senpai but the idea of self-initiation doesn't exist in Buddhism.

Shit, I guess I broke the Rules of Buddhism!

So why are you in a thread about Buddhism when your obviously looking for r/dudeism?

To advice that people can start with a simple meditation practice before they spend ten years staring up Nagarjuna's asshole desu, especially since meditation practice can help in the interpretation of the texts.

That'll be disappointing news for the actual Buddha.

You think the Buddha was self-initiated? Even though he travelled India learning from brahman? Gautama was taught meditation by a yogi, he didn't rediscover it himself.

You probably think Buddha was the first Buddhist too.

someone explain the "westerners cant be buddhists" meme to me. I understand dislike for hipsters who like it because it seems to in style and new-agers who mischaracterize/bastardize it, but to me it makes no sense to say that western people cant understand it simply because they are western.

How would you define Buddhism then if it didn't start with Gautama?

Or is this some Muslim tier 'Abraham was a Muslim already' shit?

Why are you trying to disprove him even if you don't know the very first thing about Buddhism? Do you even know who Buddha was? And what are his revelations?

Buddha started Buddhism only if you don't believe in it, which means that you're treating the word "Buddhism" semantically and not systematically (rather than talking about this religion internally you immediatly put it in a historical context, even if no one here is doing so).

According to Buddhism Gautama is only the most recent Buddha, and when Buddhism has been completely forgotten another Buddha will arise and reintroduce Buddhism to the world.

And he will do this without self-initiation?

Even then, It isn't completely wrong to say Buddhism began as a Hindu sect and was considered one at certain points throughout history, we still call Mormons Christians.

Which specific sect are you LARPing atm as 'Buddhism'?

I'm merely asking questions.

That's a core fundamental belief that all Buddhists hold, It's written in the Pali canon word-for-word that Gautama wasn't the first Buddha.

Who initiated the first Buddha?

Not that user, but such questions are verboten in buddhism because they do not help the goal

You seem really obsessed with the idea that a individual without guidance and can reach enlightenment, Its technically possible under one condition: all living memory of Buddhism has disappeared, then somebody can turn the dharma wheel like Gautama did. That person is a samyaksambudda and the next samyaksambudda will be Maitreya.

Holy shit, it sounds like Catholicism.

>mfw Buddhism is just another self-sustaining bureaucracy

I'm just curious as to how the system works.

Wouldn't you say that said guidance doesn't have the be the traditional way these days? Isn't reading a book and listening to a guided meditation or watching monks on youtube a form of initiation?

>yfw existence is a self-sustaining bureaucracy

Some sects subscribe to the belief that the Eternal Buddha simply reincarnates himself into the world every time the Dharma has been forgotten or Gautama and Maitreya were emanations of Shakyamuni.

Do you subscribe to this belief? Why does it get forgotten? Why would the Eternal Buddha care?

>Isn't reading a book and listening to a guided meditation or watching monks on youtube a form of initiation?
No. It can be Tibetan Buddhism, who do empowerment* of the internet but they've never done initiation; which is usually a formal ceremony that usually involves saying a bunch of stuff about how you believe in the Dharma, Buddha, etc.

*empowerment is basically permission to perform a certain ritual or belief.

youtube.com/watch?v=MSFvBE0xt84

OP, let me give you my list of personal favorites. There is one particular book that is not featured on this board: that is in a class of his own. It is the best book ever written about how to organize and maintain a practice of meditation.

This is the book:

1)

>The Mind Illuminated, by Culadasa.

amazon.com/Mind-Illuminated-Complete-Meditation-Integrating/dp/0990847705

When it comes down to understand what to do with your body and mind when you are meditating; how do you evolve from one stage to another in the path to liberation; what are the difficulties and obstacles of every stage; what meditation does to your brain in the short term and long term, and many other things, this is your book. It is very resourceful, almost encyclopedic.

2)

A second book to learn about meditation, one that is written in a more concise away and can be read faster (maybe even as an introduction to the first book I suggested) is the great classic:

>Mindfulness in Plain English, by Bhante Gunaratana

amazon.com/Mindfulness-English-Bhante-Henepola-Gunaratana/dp/0861719069/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493228903&sr=1-1&keywords=Mindfulness in Plain English, by Bhante Gunaratana

3)

To go even further than just meditation, it will be good to have a broader knowledge of what the Buddha thought. The most faithful book you can find with the closer one can come to the Buddha’s own original speeches is this selection of texts from the Pali Canon:

>In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon, by Bhikkhu Bodhi

amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Anthology-Discourses-Teachings/dp/0861714911/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

4)

A book that deals in a more concise way with the teachings of the Buddha is also by the great author of Mindfulness in Plain English, Bhante Gunaratana. Here you will going to see commentaries about the four noble truths and, above all, about the Noble Eightfold Path:

> Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path, by Bhante Gunaratana.

amazon.com/Eight-Mindful-Steps-Happiness-Walking/dp/0861711769/ref=pd_sim_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0861711769&pd_rd_r=39E7XKCVAR3R9WAFES2W&pd_rd_w=arckc&pd_rd_wg=9AWf5&psc=1&refRID=39E7XKCVAR3R9WAFES2W

5)

If you want to learn about the historical Buddha, the most faithful and meticulously researched book you can find is this the two volumes written by the Japanese scholar Hajime Nakamura. He collects the information found in the oldest texts, compares them one with another, and also uses archeological information, all of that with the intention of taking out the myth and seeing into the real Buddha, the historical human being (not the demi-god that latter accumulation of dogma and legend constructed.

>Gotama Buddha: A Biography Based on the Most Reliable Texts, Volumes. 1 and 2., by Hajime Nakamura.

Here, some info about this book:

“In Gotama Buddha, Professor Hajime Nakamura embarks on a search for the details of the historical Buddha's life. He conducts an exhaustive analysis of both the oldest, most reliable texts and later biographies of the Buddha that contain mythological material.

Carefully sifting these texts to separate facts from embellishments, he constructs a biography that begins with the Indian historical context at the time of Buddha's Birth and takes the reader through all the stages of his life. Professor Nakamura also compares the oldest Buddhist texts with the earliest Jain and Hindu writings and finds surprising similarities that elucidate the significance of the historical Buddha. Archeological discoveries and factual elements from Buddhist art support Professor Nakamura's fascinating story.”

amazon.com/Gotama-Buddha-Biography-Based-Reliable/dp/4333018935/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493229368&sr=1-1&keywords=gotama buddha

and

amazon.com/Gotama-Buddha-Two-Biography-Reliable/dp/4333020727/ref=pd_sbs_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=4333020727&pd_rd_r=J993EAHGPA77XXFM4A5S&pd_rd_w=JxQjW&pd_rd_wg=PFoWk&psc=1&refRID=J993EAHGPA77XXFM4A5S

6)

Since the biography written by Hajime Nakamura is somewhat arid and hard to read, you would probably do well to read also the great biography written by Thich Nhat Hanh:

> Old Path White Clouds, by Thich Nhat Hanh

amazon.com/Old-Path-White-Clouds-Footsteps/dp/0938077260/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493229744&sr=1-3&keywords=buddha biography

ITT: Basterds.

7)

This might sound controversial, but I would recommend you read the great manga written by Osamu Tezuka. It is a very personal view of the Buddha’s story, and yet you can’t ignore how humane, warm and wise this work of art is. This is the vision of a extremely gifted artist about Siddhartha Gautama, and I sincerely recommend you read it.

>Buddha, by Osamu Tezuka

otakusmash.com/read-manga/Buddha/001.001

8)

Many concepts that were inherited by the Buddha from Hinduism and other religious-philosophical schools of his day are not proven by scientific analysis, and many respected mentors and teachers still cling to them as if they were 100% sure. I am talking of thinks like Karma and Rebirth. I would advise you to approach Buddhism with some healthy skepticism, and there are some books I can recommend you about that. First this one:

> Buddhism Without Beliefs, by Stephen Batchelor

amazon.com/Buddhism-Without-Beliefs-Contemporary-Awakening/dp/1573226564/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493230133&sr=1-1&keywords=buddhism without beliefs

9)

The second book is from the same author.

> Confession of a Buddhist Atheist, by Stephen Batchelor

Here are some information about this volume:

“Does Buddhism require faith? Can an atheist or agnostic follow the Buddha’s teachings without believing in reincarnation or organized religion?

This is one man’s confession.

In his classic Buddhism Without Beliefs, Stephen Batchelor offered a profound, secular approach to the teachings of the Buddha that struck an emotional chord with Western readers. Now, with the same brilliance and boldness of thought, he paints a groundbreaking portrait of the historical Buddha—told from the author’s unique perspective as a former Buddhist monk and modern seeker. Drawing from the original Pali Canon, the seminal collection of Buddhist discourses compiled after the Buddha’s death by his followers, Batchelor shows us the Buddha as a flesh-and-blood man who looked at life in a radically new way. Batchelor also reveals the everyday challenges and doubts of his own devotional journey—from meeting the Dalai Lama in India, to training as a Zen monk in Korea, to finding his path as a lay teacher of Buddhism living in France. Both controversial and deeply personal, Stephen Batchelor’s refreshingly doctrine-free, life-informed account is essential reading for anyone interested in Buddhism.”

amazon.com/Confession-Buddhist-Atheist-Stephen-Batchelor/dp/0385527071/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0385527071&pd_rd_r=GFCN84SHPYEQ8TB86Z54&pd_rd_w=4gQ6K&pd_rd_wg=62527&psc=1&refRID=GFCN84SHPYEQ8TB86Z54

The Buddha's teachings are only perfectly valid for roughly 500 years after the death of the last samyaksambudda, after that for the next ten thousand years they decline and degenerate up to a point where they're no longer useful for obtaining enlightenment.

Different sects put more emphasis on this than others, the most popular Buddhism in East Asia takes this the whole way and already considers we've past that point and now the only hope is praying to reach the pure land to receive enlightenment there.

Actually lacan had nothing to say about anything

>Stephen Batchelor
kys

yeah and what would that be?

A student of some famous Hindu Brahmin, some 2.500 years ago:

>That Buddha guy who says that such things as chaste are not important? Just kill yourself, faggot.

What outstanding and thoughtful posts. user, you are awesome. I will look into these immediately.

A lot of people don't know that Buddhists and Brahmins in India were engaged in a fierce conflict during 500-1000 CE. The literature during that period is interesting.

>From whatever new points of view the Buddha (Buddhist) system is tested with reference to its probability, it gives way on all sides, like the walls of a well, dug in sandy soil. It has, in fact, no foundation whatever to rest upon and hence the attempts to use it as a guide in the practical concerns of life are mere folly. Moreover Buddha, by propounding the three mutually contradicting systems (Sarvastivada, Vijnanavada, Sunyavada), teaching respectively the reality of the external world, the reality of ideas only and general nothingness, has himself made it clear that hatred of all beings induced him to propound absurd doctrines by accepting which they would become thoroughly confused…Buddha’s doctrine has to be entirely disregarded by all those who have a regard for their own happiness.

-Adi Shankara, 800 CE

I find Brahmanism so much more enthralling than buddhism, nt that I don't like buddhism, but it seems so dense in comparison that I don;t really know how to approach it.
even worse not knowing Sanskrit

I've read the Gita, the Upanishads, and the Ramayana but still feel like I only have a tiny view of it

>I find Brahmanism so much more enthralling than buddhism

I find quite off-putting because of all the Gods and otherworldly entities. The interesting thing about Buddhism is that it does not depend of any supernatural phenomenon to teach you how to live a wiser, calmer and happier life.

Any religion that puts the achievement of happiness and fulfillment outside of your own mind is not interesting to me.

the way I see it the Gods and otherworldly stuff is less important and mainly serves as a vehicle to the philosophy.
I shouldn't say that they AREN'T important, but I imagine you could create "western" analogues with Hellenic or Germanic folk traditions and have the ideas remain intact

Brahmanism doesn't rely on the otherworldly stuff either, but its so dense and there are so many variants that its hard for me to embrace it fully.
buddhism in many ways is hard for a westerner to really embrace as well in totality.

I think what we do need is a total revival of Western pagan philosophy using these eastern ideas but placed within a context we can understand more easily.

there are so many cultural allusions that are just lost on us and I think it hurts our understanding

Your view of Brahmanism and Hinduism is narrow. Look up the different schools of philosophy - the view of God is very nuanced. Atheism is discussed.

One point of comparison I like to bring between Brahmanism and Buddhism is their vastly differing views on how to approach life.

Buddha, on seeing old age, sickness and death decided to renounce the world and become a monk. The exact same episode almost plays out in the Mahabharata - Yudhishthira is disillusioned after the great war, and he wishes to retire to the forest. However, unlike the Buddha, Yudhishthira is finally convinced to accept the throne.

This, to me, is the clinching factor. The teaching of the Mahabharata in fact, is completely opposite to that of the Buddha. The Brahmanical view is intertwined the harsh reality of life. The Brahmins were men of the world, engaged in the business of life, with its ups and downs. On the other hand, Buddhists speak the message of renunciation, monk-hood, complete detachment and otherworldliness - it gives very little advice on practical life. So, in the end, as a man of the world, Brahmanism wins out for me.

>The interesting thing about Buddhism is that it does not depend of any supernatural phenomenon to teach you how to live a wiser, calmer and happier life.

People that repeat this don't realize that Buddha wasn't teaching lay followers, he didn't teach people how to live outside of a monastery, let alone a wiser, calmer or happier life.

This. Unfortunately, there are still people who think Buddhism was a "revolution" against the caste system, like some sort of Indian Luther. Nothing could be further away from the truth.

Reminder that the Buddha support bloodthirsty monarchy's and a theocratic police state.

Alan Watts is garbage. Even D.T. Suzuki, a jingoistic "Grorious Nippon" neo-Platonist who swindled gullible beatniks into thinking he was an authority on Zen Buddhism, thought Alan Watts was a clueless tool. This thread is trash.

Not sure, if you're being sarcastic, In any case, Buddhism in fact enforced the caste system in one way - they propagated the ideas of karmic reincarnation heavily. The untouchables were made to believe their position was justified die to the sins of their past birth.

I'm not, he literally did, he wanted all Buddhist monasteries and monks guarded by the military.

Even Shunryu's students couldn't stand being around Watts.

try books written by the dalai lama

And even Shunryu was a hack. How amazing.

who cares, the author is dead

his teachings are my property now, i'll do with them as i please!

Where the fuck does this meme come from?

No, Buddhism was not a fucking a "Hindu" sect.

In fact, your use of the word "Hindu" is anachronistic. Hinduism did not "emerge" until plenty of centuries after the Buddha's time.

Even more, "Hinduism" does not really mean shit and encompasses traditions as broad from atheist materialism to materialist pantheism to monotheism.

You probably mean the established Vedanta tradition, which, no, the Buddha rejected and criticized and was not a part of.

The Buddha was of the Srammana tradition.

Read a fucking book.

Fuck Thanissaro and Thich Nhat Hanh. Anti-intellectual cowards serving Western Buddhists their sweet relaxing lates.

I am saying it right here,to whoever would call themselves a Buddhist, read philosophy, meditate and reflect, and stop being fucking Orientalist.

im not a buddhist btw, but shit.....

this is false, by the way.
Buddhism is not fatalist and although the Buddha was not a revolutionary, he did criticize and reject the caste system.

You need to relax more my man. That is the teaching.

fuck off and go drink your starbucks.

>j-j-just chill dude

I hate Western Buddhism

>implying samadhi doesn't exist

Back to the hungry realms you go

the angry krishnamurti

do you require a laxative

it will soothe your bowels

>Osamu Tezuka
Just mayyybe reconsider that

I agree. He was divorced too many times to be someone I could ever look to as a spiritual guide.