Just finished this. Interesting book, obviously funny, but also a portrayal of a grotesque tragicomic situation

Just finished this. Interesting book, obviously funny, but also a portrayal of a grotesque tragicomic situation.

The apparent dichotomy between the mentalities of Myrna Minkoff and Ignatius made me think reading it they were two sides of the same coin.
But after finishing it I am thinking Myrna is the pseudo-intellectual who looks for opportunities to virtue signal, she does things for the image. Ignatius, on the other hand, is a complacent yet lazy person who has constructed a worldview that places the blame on others and society for his failures and stagnant existence.

What does Veeky Forums think?

I don't see where you're getting any of that shit.

-5/10 post.

Do you have anything else to contribute? Why do you disagree?

no basis at all in fact

>virtue signalling: the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

That's literally all Ignatius does.

I saw them more as different variations of pseudointellectual, with one being more socially adjusted than the other. But they are each living in their own conjured up reality. Ignatius puts up the guise of worldliness, but hasn't really left New Orleans. And Myrna with her self important theatre performances that are really just shit.

I'm a dumb dumb and mostly just lurk here, so I have nothing else to add.

I see Ignatius doing that in retaliation to Myrna. Trying to one-up her.

This is an interpretation, not a fact.

I like how Ignatius becomes a communist as soon as he starts working when he was quite conservative before that. Reminds me of myself: always basing my political opinions on whoever is annoying me at the moment

Keep crying faggot. Total fact.

Fuck that whole levy pants bit was hilarious

He had this facade of a very strict worldview but as soon as something could work for him he never hesitated to alter it.

Love that too, and is good critique of how we form our political opinions overall

It's fucking sad how this guy offed himself.

I wonder if he would have written anymore great books

I think it's pretty hilarious. Like....it's a totally avoidable and kind of senseless suicide.

>Agent: Hey uh...I like it, but I think we need talk about doing some editing here.
>Toole: EDITING!t!#?!!!! What the fuck!?! You fucking SERIOUS? FUCK THIS!!! Fucking life is over man! FUCK!!! FUCK!!! FUCK!!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCUCUUCUUUUUUUUUUUUUCUAKJKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*hangs himself*

He obviously had mental problems

do you think so?

In the winter of 1967, Kubach, who had come down to visit Toole, noticed an increased sense of paranoia on Toole's part; once when driving around New Orleans, Toole became convinced they were being followed and attempted to lose the car. The family moved to a larger rental house on Hampson Street, and Toole continued teaching, with his students noticing that his wit had become more acerbic. He continued to drink heavily, and gained a great deal of weight, causing him to have to purchase an entire new wardrobe.[106] Toole began having frequent and intense headaches, and as aspirin was no help, he saw a doctor. The doctor's treatment was also ineffective, and he suggested Toole see a neurologist, an idea which Toole rejected.

In the months before his suicide, Toole, who was usually extremely well groomed, "began to appear in public unshaved and uncombed, wearing unpolished shoes and wrinkled clothes, to the amazement of his friends and students in New Orleans."He also began to exhibit signs of paranoia, including telling friends that a woman whom he erroneously thought had worked for Simon & Schuster was plotting to steal his book so that her husband, the novelist George Deaux, could publish it.

Toole became increasingly erratic during his lectures at Dominican, resulting in frequent student complaints, and was given to rants against church and state. Toward the end of the 1968 fall semester, he was forced to take a leave of absence and stopped attending classes at Tulane, resulting in his receiving a grade of incomplete. The Tooles spent Christmas of 1968 in disarray with Toole's father in an increasing state of dementia, and Toole searching the home for electronic mind-reading devices

he was probably just going on /pol/

why post this

because I wanted to comically dismiss the copy and pasted wikipedia article.

why?

it's Veeky Forums

I disliked the book. I didn't laugh at all, and early on had a clear picture of the book I was reading when Ignatius masturbated to his dog.

I do wonder why there is such an intense fan following for what is essentially a series of caricatures. At one time, I merely wrote my dislike down to jealousy, simply because he probably wrote a genius work, and I didn't, so that was my reason for criticism at length. Now I merely wave the book away in pursuit of more interesting literature, something that doesn't give me a window into something so fucking depressing. That book was a damned cry for help, and I can't blame the guy, he was probably in a pit of insanity. For the love of god, the guy couldn't even write his own insane characters into a world where they belonged in any way.

>the guy couldn't even write his own insane characters into a world where they belonged in any way

thats the point

and that's why i didn't like it, would you want to write a book that was the epitome of your failure as a human being to assimilate, even to the point that you couldn't escape it even in your fantasies? sure, the meme answer is to say "fuck yeah, that'd be genuine" but lord almighty, the extent of depression you would have to submit yourself to.

I think you don't know how to review books

Explain why, and then explain why you thought it was a review.

Hey, it was just a thought. It wasn't currency.

Dickhead