What are you studying? What's your major...

What are you studying? What's your major? What do you hope to do when you are out of school/What are you doing now that you are out of school?

Other urls found in this thread:

cell.com/biophysj/home.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do I deal with the fact that I'm a fucking retard going to a shit school doing a major he hates and won't get him a job because the disappointment if he left school would be too much ?

I wasted every opportunity given to me can no longer connect with any human and have nothing I'd like to do .

ahahahahahahha! I feel you user. Go to collage for some technical trade. You will get to feel smart, and will probably get paid better then whatever you could have done with your major. Or live the misery you have now! Idk!

Why

Actuarial Science. Become an actuary. Make thousands

Im study economics and finance (international) i shit uni in istern iurop. Uni is shit, i dont study economics or finance in national monetary system which will decrease my chances of getting hired by even more, and when i graduate i want to work at KFV and hopefully one day become a manager at a local sweatshop... i mean restaurant :)

>What are you studying?
Applied physics
>What do you hope to do when you are out of school?
Become a complete douchebag because physics masterrace.

>aerospace engineering
>want to do some cool space shit
>currently cooping for an HVAC company
Not exactly what I was thinking but it’s money and experience on soemthing slightly related so fuck it

Computer science and design, hopefully I can become a software engineer focused on Application development mainly for mobile applications.

>Applied physics

Physics master race undergrad here, what you usually do in applied phy?

Doing an MS in EE focused on optics/photonics. Plan on applying to PhD during second year and hope to end up in industry R&D, govt lab, or something similar. I kinda want to come back into academia when older and be a professor, but not sure how well that works when coming from industry.

>What are you studying?
English. Want to go to law school after undergrad
>What's your major?
English
>What do you hope to do when you are out of school/What are you doing now that you are out of school?
Get accepted into a high tier law school, rack up ungodly amounts of debt, get a job that won't pay enough to pay it off, get depressed, kill myself

mathematical statistics
I hope to work with applications towards biology, perhaps epidemiology

I'm in med school. No idea what I want to specialize in but at the moment I'm flirting with the idea of going into nuclear medicine.

>What are you studying?
> What's your major?
Mathematics

>What do you hope to do when you are out of school/What are you doing now that you are out of school?
I hope I finally get the balls and materials to end my life. I don't even know if I'm gonna finish college. I have good grades and all, but I'm each day more broken inside and lonely, just like everything around me is falling apart.

Did a double bachelor in technical computer science and math, then did a double master in computer engineering and math.

Now a codemonkey who wants to kill himself.

physics+computer engineering

im hoping to take my degrees and help setup computational physics courses for high schools. teach kids how to use clusters. computational science is the future

stop with your delusions of grandeur, we are all insignificant

>stop with your delusions of grandeur,
That's quite the opposite, senpai.

>double bachelor
>double master
Man you made some poor decisions in college. Double bachelors in itself is pretty useless for a comp sci/engineering degree, but a masters is just lol

>what are you studying
Artificial Intelligence and applied physics

>what is your major
>Double CS/Physics BS

>what do you hope to do
build a neural network that rapidly maps the galaxy and identifies exoplanets

Is my goal retarded Veeky Forums?

Not as retarded as seeking validation concerning your personal ambitions on a Laotian poetry recitation board filled with spiteful, evil little creatures.

Where exactly do you think you went wrong, user? Where did you want to end up while you were studying? Asking because your post hits dangerously close to home.

Why is it useless? Maybe I could understand a double major not contributing much to your chances in CS industry fresh out of uni, but if your goal is grad education, research or pure interest in the second major itself then why would it be a waste? :O

Yes, should have gone with maths (but then I would have thrown away my first year of comp sci). Computer science is basically dumbed down mathematics anyway.

Dunno. Believing recruiters who say that work at their company is not just codemonkey work is the one thing probably. I shouldn't have settled for a job so quickly. On the bright side I can make some money now and switch ASAP.

My brother does a shit study but has plenty of time to work, join a fraterny, and he is also a pretty promising hockey player. Something like that would probably be time better spent (as fraternities probably bring you more in terms of connections than studying anyway).

I am always astonished about how programmers can talk hours about mundane things like it is really cool stuff.

They basically fill their own schedule with utterly pointless bullshit (newest javascript framework). I thought people did this to make money, but it seems like they actually *enjoy it*?

Finished my BSEE in May. I had a job lined up but that fell through, so now I'm still living with my mom looking for something. I have a phone interview in an hour so wish me luck.

I want to get into multiple-access wireless communications systems like LTE but I'll probably have to move around to get there.

>double major in chemical engineering and math
>possibly want to go to grad school for math
>want to work with modeling software for chemical processes

Not useless per se, but very rarely will it be worth the time honestly. If you can graduate on time (3 or 4 years depending on country) without paying extra for the second major then I guess it is fine if you are interested in the subject, but otherwise the time spent on that second major can be used much better for a cs/engineering major (internships, research experience, projects). Even for going onto MS or PhD you probably wont need all that is in a math major to help in your main field of study, yeah 1-3 of the classes might actually be helpful, but that wouldnt really be a math major more like a minor. Most of the math topics that are useful to your field will be covered while also learning their applications in those upper level/grad level classes. So keep doing that double major if you can still graduate on time, get in good research experience, and not pay more much, but otherwise I see it as a hindrance. Do what you want though, dont give into the opinion of a man on a bohemian bread baking forum

Computer science with math minor (only two additional classes)
I love programming and solving problems math or otherwise.
I guess i'd like to be a programmer (codemonkey) or maybe something else. I'm still a naive freshman who thinks doors will fly open when i'm finished. Maybe i'd like to teach a High School math class.
Though I don't have any loans...
So if I wanted to rent a shit apartment with a roommate, work at the grocery store like in High School, and just read books in my free time, I guess it would be possible. A small fantasy of mine, I won't actually do it haha.

Why would a neural network model that data best? You understand there's like 40 types of nns??

I'm with you on wanting to live on very little and just read for a while. can't do it forever though because eventually i do want a family

I've been thinking about that. A year ago I was gung ho for having children. But think about how things have changed even since we were born. 70 or 60 years ago, what did you need to comfortably start a family? Not much but an able body and a willingness to work. People could do simple stuff and get by. Detroit auto factories were a prime example.
Over time, the Economy transitioned to service, prices kept going up but wages stagnated. Uneducated labor decreased in value and it got harder and harder for working class to get by. So Everyone goes to college. Now there are too many grads for the good jobs. The people with "bad" or "easy" degrees get told they made a mistake and get the shaft.
The uneducated class, with no hope of seriously getting ahead, pioneers this absurd "entrepeneur" culture where they do nothing of value to anybody (or just sell drugs) and pretend to have money on social media.
(I'm told) I'm insulated from this whole mess because I chose a good degree and my family could afford school. But what about my kids? How much further could the noose tighten? People already seem to think that you can't get a job with a resume alone anymore, you need to know somebody in the company.
What if that the next step is that that becomes absolute fact? What if one day a "good job" is something exclusively given to the children of the corporate elite by the corporate elite themselves?
Can I really have children in a world where things just get worse and worse with no end in sight?
Why doom someone to being born in a declining nation?
And god forbid they're born and they're just dumb or less able. A sentance to poverty for the both of us.
I don't know.
I guess I'll just consider it again when it's time.

It's an abstract kind of despair

>bringing ugly, unelegant,computionally costly,"it werks" machine learning to our beautiful physics

I hate you.

I'm not seeking validation I was genuinly curious how autistic my goal was and I don't want to explain it to other students

second point taken

Because neural networks are superior when learning patterns like those that indicate a planet causing a star to wobble. It would also make it much easier to compare "habitable" planets with those we aren't sure about (thus making SETI, or at least the search for potentially habitable planets a degree easier.)

And yes, I am a CS major as well I know that NN's are a generic term but I know this board is mostly science majors and didn't plan on going into the details that much.

I'm sorry user but I have two loves and I plan on dedicating my life using both of them. Plus I can't think of anything better than automating astronomy; we could learn more in a few weeks than thousands of scientists could in 10 years.

Your goal is retarded, there are only a few telescopes capable of detecting exoplanets and the like, and they're not going to waste all their time scanning every random star in the sky for your network.

Processing speed isn't the limiting factor here.

>Processing speed isn't the limiting factor here.
Yeah no shit that's why it's a goal. And every high powered telescope could theoretically detect exoplanets (plus, I could always just use their data dumps until I have a working prototype) there are only a few telescopes right now designed with that goal in mind, but every telescope picks up the light spectrum (of course most can't see very far away.)

That's the point of having the NN, to take past data from exoplanets we know exist and build a system that can use that data to give a good idea on what-

why am I even explaining this to a brainlet

If you're struggling this much explaining your idea to me, good luck applying for grad school.

I studied psychology because I was really depressed as a teenager and wanted to learn more about why
>T. A girl I know, completely unironic

biochemistry

starting to become interested in biophysics for graduate work

Theres nothing wrong with this.

Its actually a good motivator.

Gender studies aND English literature

So many chicks to bang here

Physics with an Oceanography focus and Marine Biology, would like to join the Navy as an officer, once I retire get my masters and phd for a few years then do work for NOAA until retirement.

Plz explain.
Though, I misquoted her. I now recall she said she wanted to help depressed teenagers because she was one herself, and this is why she studied psychology.
(I thought she was crazy. Everyone likes to grandstand about making the world a better place but going so far as to choose a (very) low-paying degree to do it seems, to me, to be completely insane.)

>psychologist
>low paying
you should try getting therapy some time

not everyone cares about money. particularly in sciences. some recognize there exists something bigger and more worthwhile than selecting a major on the basis of money

the phd therapists i know charge $200/hr btw

I hate molecular biology but want to apply to get a masters in population and quantitative genetics because I want to actually get hired while still using my undergrad in bio. Did I fuck up?

>biochemistry

>starting to become interested in biophysics for graduate work

Are you me transported from 2009?

But seriously, that's what I ended up doing. Finished undergrad back in 2011, then took a few gap years to work as a tech and get some experience. Now working on a PhD in biophysics. Would be glad to answer any questions.

What do you do? What is your schedule like? Are you in research? Is this a promising field? Any suggestions on beginner literature?

Plan out your life. Treat it like a major project, make spreadsheets, documents, whatever. Write out every aspect of your life, what's wrong and what's right. Gather all the information you could possibly think could be relevant to improving your life. After that analyze everything you've collected and formulate possible plans to improving your current situation. Final step is to go through with the best plans you've come up with and your life will improve. Sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but doing this completely changed my life and I know others whos life it has also dramatically improved. The hardest part is sticking to it. Hope this helps.

Doing my bachelors in comp sci right now and this shit infuriates me. Talking about stupid comp sci nerd bullshit like it's the most interesting entertainment in the world. I think that they just don't have something like sports to talk about so they pretend like it's actually interesting. There are countless clubs/programs/companies with this mentality and it's the cringiest shit in the world.

>no shit processing speed isn't the limiting factor
>my project could learn more in a few weeks than thousands of scientists could in 10 years
hmm
Also if you get frustrated trying to explain your project, there's probably something wrong with your project. I love applying machine learning to other fields (that's what I'm doing my masters on right now) but certain things don't really work with ML. You should really learn to take criticism.

>Get accepted into a high tier law school, rack up ungodly amounts of debt, get a job that won't pay enough to pay it off, get depressed, kill myself
Competition is fierce so be ready.

Forestry/Forest Sciences
After doing a shitton of advanced courses like Climatology, geology and more I am now failing against the base courses like math, statistics and chemestry which theoretically would have come first in the plan anyway.
I just hope to finnally get it done without failing.

Bryan?

>What do you do?
Structural biology. Mainly solution-NMR to study protein structure-function.
>What is your schedule like? Are you in research?
Working in lab full-time. Done with classes, passed my quals a year and a half ago. I meet with my mentor to discuss how and where projects are going, but I'm planning my schedule. A mix of doing experiments, analyzing data, mentoring more junior grad students and undergrads, reading the literature, working on manuscripts.
>Is this a promising field?
Biophysics is not just one field. There are many disciplines that overlap: structural biology, single-molecule, computational chemistry, systems biology, microscopy, cell biology, neuroscience.
>Any suggestions on beginner literature?
Going off what I said above, whatever interests you. I think you should find a particular niche that you would like to study, since there's so many ways you can go.
I would recommend Biophysical Journal, which would give you a decent introduction: cell.com/biophysj/home. Also, if you scroll to the bottom, you'll see links to the Cell journals. In addition to the obvious (Cell), there are many other journals that you can look at. Structure, Neuron, Cell Chem Bio, Mol Cell.

>
Chemistry + technical communication
>
White paper/journalism type of work & literary fiction with educational chemistry. Basically, Primo Levi minus Jew.

shhhh don't let them know

>medicine
I just want to become comfy country doc, don't give a fuck and play vidya.

Stop

>finished BS in CS
>NEET
>cant find job

image segmentation

feel free to post links to papers that aren't written by researchers at the state university of india

Mechanical engineering, specializing in mechatronics. Wanna go into robotics and preferrably work on autonomous robots. Probably going to end up doing PLC programming commissions for factories at 80 hours a week and end up killing myself before thirty.

Biology psychology joint honours, hopes of doing a masters in Neuroscience or going on to do neuroscience.

Fitter
Happier
More Productive

Biology and Physics with ECE Minor
I intend to go for my PhD in Molecular and Computational Biology

If all that goes to shit, I'll fall back on my pilot's license and get by until I crash into a fake tree factory and die.

PhD on CS working on algorithms and multiobjective optimization
Decided not to pursue a career on math since I liked math applied to computers and went to do CS since in my country there isn't CE until the MSc on EE (and I didn't want EE). Found out that CS is a meme on math and needed to learn most of it by myself to do my MSc thesis and start the PhD
No idea what to do after, I'm only on the 1st year

Im a biophysics major too!
I was toying with the idea of a quantum computer running optimization problems for protein folding optimization, then feeding that into an NN to determine genetic sequences. Or connect DNA to a programming language, so that we could program microbes and stuff. Im very noob in the subject (freshman) but im just trying to think and learn as much as possible on the relevant subjects. Any ideas similar to this?

My current major is Environmental bio.
I was contemplating switching to either genetics or botany depending on where my heart takes me.
(I see both majors as diverging paths as to my long term life goals)
If I go with genetics I hope to have a hand in bringing cat girls into the world!

Did your cs department not have a more math geared concentration where you can obtain a math minor?

Spoken like a true cold emotionless robot terminator who has to resort to 'planning' their life by technical means.

Listen, life is spontaneous, if you're not following your gut instinct then you will never truly be happy. This is the only truth.

imo you should be grateful
aerospace is boring shit unless you have established position.
you'd be stuck making trillion revisions of the same thing, while everyone forgets you even existed,
except when some accounting bitch glances for 0.2s over your name on payroll

Is anyone else embarrased by the school they go to?

You have the right idea. Do you know of someone who has this stuff posted as a template?

I know lots of 30 somethings who only used their degrees for a few years before a good unrelated job came along, and they used their degree as a "not a retard" stamp.
It's admirable to have dreams but don't forget you don't have to do this forever if you don't want to. Especially if you did a hard degree that proves "hey, i'm smart" to anyone who reads it

>studying
Bacterial genetics
>major
Bio
>What do you hope to do when you are out of school
Got microbiology PhD interviews next month (still waiting to hear back from like 5 programs, only rejected from one top 10 so far). We're all gonna make it bros

English. I work at an engineering firm writing patents.

I think it'd be kind of fun to go into STEM law desu

>whats your major
I am studying computer science, not a burger so not sure what is 'major' is.

LMFAO

lmao. unnecessary

Possible. I would need a science degree though. In patent law you're required to have a science or engineering degree to be a patent attorney or agent in order to write someone else's patents. The way our engineering firm gets around that (and I suspect this is true for most places) is they require me to add something to the invention thus becoming an 'inventor' myself which satisfies the condition of the law.

So if I choose to make a living out of this I should go back to school for a science degree but right now making 6 figures as a writer is pretty rare so I may as well just stay where I am.

Not in school. I work for BMW as a tech. I should have went to school, but oh well.

Anyone here a chemistry major? What's the career outlook?

how do you like bacgen? i've always wanted to take a class on it, but the only one in uni is for undergrads only

i study bacterial physiology and selenium metabolism btw

I've found it to be pretty interesting, seems like there's a lot of interest in attenuation or similar processes since they're good targets for drug delivery/antibiotics. I really want to get into phage-host interactions personally but I wouldn't mind staying with bacgen, especially since it seems to make adcoms like me more (and I'm assuming jobs in the future)

nice, i almost want to sit in for a bacgen lecture just to see what i'm missing out t b h

closest thing i'll take is a microbial stress response class in a couple semesters

Chem E grad student at a top twenty school. I've never known hell like these courses before; I just want to start research, man.

-finishing BSc geological sciences.
-After graduating would like to work in oil/gas industry or state govt for a while to pay off some loans and save money, then apply to some ph.d programs.
-currently work for my state's DNR mostly doing equipment maintenance and tree work at a state park

Currently doing a foundation degree in engineering but will either do electrical engineering or computer science next year for my degree course. I want to be either a programmer or something working on electronics not really sure i want to leave england as soon as possible though.

Can anyone help with this i have an exam tomorrow and missed the lecture would be great if someone could explain it to me

Why would you? Do you go to Arizona State or sth? Jesus Christ.

Do you know people that came to biophysics from pure physics, math or engineering?

>in community college
>bioengineering
>transfer
>apply to med school after earning bs

Will I make it lads?

Not the guy you're responding to but there's plenty. The lab (computational biophysicis) I did my undergrad thesis in had a lot of people with physics backgrounds.
Just take some classes about proteins.

In my country, there only a few BSc where you can obtain a minor, CS is not one of them
Fucking europoor country that mistakes CS for Software Engineering

set net force and torque equal to 0, then solve for the forces at A and B necessary for this. Since they're vertical, you have a system of two equations (force and torque) with 2 variables (A and B). The second part is the same just with another force and torque.

Fortunately for me, they have one where you take all the Calcs, DE, Computer Graphics, and an upper level math elective (I'll be taking Computational mathematics, pretty excited).

Between Biomedcial Engineering and Industrial Chemistry which one is better over all (and more likely to fit a robot life)

I'm studying chemistry and math. I'm really interested in planetary science though, is there any way I can take chemistry and apply it to that as a job?