Suggest a novel that seems straightforward but contains inconspicuous details which suggest a radically different...

suggest a novel that seems straightforward but contains inconspicuous details which suggest a radically different interpretation. there should be no mindfugg finale, only another coherent level of possible meaning. like a PKD novel but without the obvious glitches in reality.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_(novel)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nabokov's Pnin is subtle like that

thx, it never occured to me to read other stuff than lolita until now.

the whole saramago ouvre...but he isn't exactly subtle, he often puts the ambiguity straight into the title

every DeLillo novel that isn't obviously not straightforward

Book of the new sun
borges

harry potter

>muh bowl
Pnin eh? where's the radically different interpretation in that one?

Peace by Gene Wolfe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_(novel)

Pale fire

Good Soldier Svejk, Manuscript Found in Saragossa, Don Juan, Chromos, Augie March, the list goes on, and on and on.

Chronic City by Jonatham Lethem, at first it stroke me as shit for hipsters that wanted to feel cool and the thinkers of tomorrow, but then the twisted meanings (like having a robotic tiger be rumpling around the city but never actually showing it, then making one wonder if it's real or not) got me into thinking and the end made me despair. One hell of a read that can only cast a spell on you on the first read

thanks for all the recs

house of leaves

Turn of the Screw

the catcher in the rye, I guess

Read the Bible

An Artist of the Floating World

this desu

also DFW's Oblivion collection

Pavane - Keith Roberts

the hidden meaning is drumpf is voldemort and we (the democrats) are gryffindor

"The End of the Affair" by Graham Greene

what? I thought it was just unfunny, did I not get it?

nope, it was unfunny. there's no subtlety there.