What's some good modern fantasy?

What's some good modern fantasy?

I'd ask /sffg/ but they're a contrarian circle jerk who only ever insist upon the same three awful writers, all of whom only write GoT knock-offs and insist everything else is trash

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson are is pretty Veeky Forums

back to /sffg/ with you

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Fuck you man /sffg/ isn't perfect but we do our best. At least ask there first you lower caste nigga

Try 'Little, Big' by John Crowley.

Beautiful prose. A cut above the average fare.

>who only ever insist upon the same three awful writers, all of whom only write GoT knock-offs
Which three? I'm looking at /sffg/ and I can't figure it out.

Serious question, not trying to debate you. I want to read some GoT knockoffs.

The Wizard Knight

No one who posts in /sffg/ wants GOT knock offs. At least actually go in the thread before talking out your ass.

>two persons in a general of 60+ are the voice of the majority

As a frequent SFFG poster and lurker, I think I can distinguish 4 distinct personalities other than myself by their manner, grammar, and tastes. Then it's a bunch of occasional posters.

Anyway, OP should know SFFG is also keen on Jack Vance and Gene Wolfe.

Generally we all rail against genre fiction and memedrop a list of pretentious authors yet this same suggest fantasy thread is allowed and encouraged every second day. Fuck fantasy, its escapism without the necessary point that justifies other literature. Am I alone here?

Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy is pretty stellar. Loaded with dark humor and well written

So it's 5 main persons and, "a bunch of occasional posters"?
Well isn't that shit posting at it's finest!
Tell me which one of the 5 am I user?

Without escapism most of the people that post on Veeky Forums would kill themselves and probably take people with them. Read fantasy anons....read it like a heroin addict needs his fix.

>frogposters, pol shitposting, leery youtube threads
> b-b-but science fiction and fantasy can't be literary! not even the 'pretentious' ones I won't read!

I don't have much to go on so I'll play the best odds and say the basic meme art guy (gene wolfe with a sledge hammer, author burlgar.)

'Your understanding of Hegel fails to account for blah fucking blah, start with Plato, my good sir.' Seconds later . Oh fucking dope. A fantasy thread, better educate these plebs on why fuckedcunt bearded likely pedo is better then obese fucked cunt defenite pedo, his system of magic is far more rigorous.

>Without escapism most of the people that post on Veeky Forums would kill themselves and probably take people with them
This. The elitism persons on Veeky Forums and /a/ have against others are pushing people to self harm and the harming of others

Why can't I be catfag? Or Donkey? or Cosmerefag? or Gene Wolfefag? or Absolute Aram? Or flavors user? Maybe I'm 5/dinos user?

Dawn of wonder
Emperor's blades trilogy
The Fate book 1 (especially if you're into anime)
The travelers gate trilogy

I have conversations with myself on /sffg/ about blindsight

I wish I could meet someone irl who's read the book

I am trying my hardest to write "good" fantasy. I have one book done, barring some edits suggested by a friend or two, and I'm working on the second book right now. I have five books planned out. Still trying to find an agent.

So I guess that's my way of saying my answer is, unironically, my diary. Or at least my daily writing work.

>Emperor's blades trilogy
You Adare Loving Cuck

>but they're a contrarian circle jerk who only ever insist upon the same three awful writers
Why should we answer the same questions over and over again? That is why we have charts, they answer your questions.
Not our fault you are a lazy entitled faggot who can't read. We don't enable entitled faggot like yourself.

Now I'm not a writer. But if i were, then cribbing a lot of Borges and Chesterton metaphysics and asides about the nature of time, reality and identity (doubles motif) seems like a good way to add literary clout to a generic fantasy, thereby appealing to plebs who are insecure about reading genre books, and pseuds who don't want to read classics.

You can thank me when you win a Hugo.

Mr.Wolfe please calm down

You still have Latro

I actually am a big fan of both Borges and Chesterton. Not even memeing. The book I'm working on even has a Borges-type sequence. The book is mostly set in Niflheimr, which is a world of ice in Norse cosmology, and at one point my characters enter an ice labyrinth where they're confronted with walls upon walls of shifting mirrors. At one point the mirrors begin to project onto them impressions from their own minds, chiefly taking the form of a critical authority figure from their childhoods.

>The Fate book 1
Not OP, but I can't believe how shit that looks. Are you supposed to read it unironically?

That isn't very nice, user :(
It's hard to suggest modern stuff because it hasn't yet gone through the winnowing of time. Perhaps you'd consider something older? What attracts you to modern fantasy? Writing style? The current trend of moral greyness? Particular themes? Hooded individuals with daggers on the cover (myeh heh heh)?

newness

Pardon?
Can you quantify this quality and how it relates to your enjoyment of a book?

>judging a book by it's cover.
You must be about 15.

Not only the cover, but the title and everything the summary says about it. And I'm just saying how it looks, not how it is. I asked the question for a reason.

I enjoy Wolfe even with the borrowing of Borges and Chesterton. In his defense he is doing something more than/outside of them. It strikes me that Ursula Le Guin will similarly hang over the shoulder of new writers.

Well. mirrors are very interesting. They distort light, a sense of a room's space, and present partial and imperfect copies of us as well as the illusion of another place. It's the unreality/labyrinthine/double motif all in one.

>Adare
This meme again. Cause the story is solely about her.

The reason OP is asking is cause the chart is hardly ever updated. And it has trash like Brent Weeks and Melanie Rawn on it. Fuck off back to your cave.

With the anime elements it's a bit more original, as far as fantasy goes. Certainly not the best Fantasy ever written and you can tell it's the author's first time. But it's modern and enjoyable which were op's request. Picked it up on a whim and was surprised to have liked it.

Mirrors are actually a useful device I'll need to keep in mind throughout the series. One of the overarching themes I'm working with is self-knowledge and self-mastery. The series is a little bit like an old-fashioned chivalric romance, in that the moral growth of the hero is one of the primary plot threads.

>The reason OP is asking is cause the chart is hardly ever updated.
Chartanon here. I know he couldn't have read through my 70+ book recommendations to be asking for more. So both you and him are faggots kys.
Polite sage cause, fuck off.

To kill a god by stevian heartbound

Maybe he doesn't want to read some of them as you have a number of shit recommendations

>posting a Veeky Forums waifu on Veeky Forums

>GoT knockoffs
Can't recall any of those being popular in /sffg/, it's more likely you're just super ignorant about fantasy and anything that isn't ripping off Tolkien you think is ripping off GRRM, because those are your only frames of reference.

>I haven't read it but I know it's shit and I'll keep calling it shit without reading it now give me more recommendations that I will arbitrarily decide are shit without reading them
Can you maybe begin to imagine why /sffg/ don't like helping people like this?

Yeah how dare they talk about books on a board for talking about books. We need more /pol/-lite threads and pseudo-intellectual philosophy threads that belong on Veeky Forums because nobody actually discusses written works like they're supposed to.

>Veeky Forums's waifu is Harry Potter in drag

Gee whiz, color me surprised doc.

I have read the two authors I mentioned. And they are confirmed as shit. They shouldn't be on any list of recommended fantasy. Feel free to try again, but I'd stop posting now if I were you.

Plenty of people have, including me. It seems 'we' always come to consensus that Watts can write good descriptions, cannot write a character or plotline to save his life and the ending to his underwater book is so bad I started laughing. Blindsight is okay on the description level, but he ruins the atmosphere with his complete lack of talent in other areas.

I would reccommed Life Cycle of Software Objects by Chiang (another flawed writer ) to you.

Any sci fi books dealing with probable dystopia aka Islamist society coupled with Chinese peddlers of subpar goods on an overpopulated technoreligious planet?