Leatherbound Classics

How does Veeky Forums feel about these books? I've been recently looking at buying some classics and I found these at my local B&N. Should I stick to regular editions or are these worth a buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

waterstones.com/booklist/313948/penguin-leatherbound-classics
librarything.com/topic/94397
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Barnes and nobles leather-bound editions
You're much better off just buying paperbacks

The B&N leatherbound books are schwarbage. Get Franklin Library or Easton Press off of ebay or Amazon if you want leather books.

If you want people coming into your apartment to think you're gay or autistic, you can do no better.

Insults aside; is that the black Ikea bookshelf?

If so, I went the same way. Menards has cheaper bookshelves though, should you need another. I love the black shelving though.

Not really surprised at the responses. They do give off a cheap imitation look more than anything. Look's like I'll be going paperback or searching for other hardcovers.

>Is that the black ikea bookshelf
Oh fuck, reading that just made me realize that the picture is in someones house and not at a barnes and nobles store. Having, and proudly displaying all of those books is legitimately cringe.

Ikea does have some nice bookshelves, though. I think my ex had the same black bookshelf.

Why do they do the gold/silver thing at the edge of the pages? It looks terrible.

That is not my picture and I don't own any of those books yet. I was just wanted to see what people thought about the B&N leatherbound books in general. I also got a cheap vibe from them so I hesitated. Easton Press is better but much more pricey.

The gilding protects the paper from moisture. It's commonplace for leather-bound books, and helps preserve them. It does look awful on these editions, though.

Capitalist garbage.

Tacky and overpriced. Will never get read if you buy them.

I prefer library of America. They also the advantage of being not too expensive on Amazon.

Hahaha. I owned some of those. They felt so cheap and mass-produced. Don't buy them.

Get everymans instead less tacky with a better selection of classics.

Super over embelished most of the time. The only ones in that pic I actually like are the Arabian Nights and the H.G. Wells one.

I got the Illiad & Odyssey for a dollar still in the shrinkwrap. It's the old Butler prose translation, which is fucking garbage.

penguin do leatherbound classics that look better than those

waterstones.com/booklist/313948/penguin-leatherbound-classics

I know that this picture is supposed to show what black people would look like if they were white but what the FUCK are those brown dots?

I tend to prefer paperbacks because they're a lot more practical if I'm reading on the go, but also they're a lot cheaper than hardbacks. Hardbacks can look wonderful on a tidy shelf - I do have a few I'm pleased with but they're usually complete collected works like Shakespeare, Lovecraft, Poe, etc - but I would prefer paperbacks.

Hardback editions make nice gifts though and that's what the Barnes & Noble editions seem to aim for, similar to the Penguin clothbound hardbacks. Not particularly keen on the hyperactive style B&N go for.

this looks like something normalfags would buy, put on their shelf and then never touch again

What they would look like? Those are photographs of African albinos, user.

oh my bad then
still, what are those dots?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>paying more money for something that's free/ dirt cheap just to have a flashy cover
it's the equivalent of buying a gold watch so everyone knows you rich, the people who buy these are the ostentatious ones that silently scream "I'm reading a book! I'm reading! Everyone praise me for being such an intellectual!"

Get everymans they are good quality and look alot nicer.

I got the Dracula one.

It's absolutely sick, no regrets.

This picture was originally posted on reddit, wasn't it?

It was originally posted on librarything ( librarything.com/topic/94397 )

FWIW, some of the B&N editions are pretty good in quality, and others (generally the omnibus volumes) are pretty poor.

I really do like that HG Wells one tho

These are made with composite leather. That means that it's not made with the whole piece of skin, it's made with pulverized pieces. These are not true leatherbound books.

People just enjoy beautiful things, you insufferable poorfaggot.

The only leather bound book you should own is the Necronomicon

pseud spotted

Iconoclasm is the mark of the pseud.

>beautiful things
thos books gaudy thrash for fedoras

ugh garish nightmare trash for plebs
get some fucking taste and subtlety

I have some. Bought them years ago when I just wanted flashy over-designed hardcovers for the sake of it.

They're garish, but sturdy enough. If you want an inexpensive hardcover of something, you're better off seeing if Everyman's has it first.

The only one I liked is the Foundation trilogy. It's the only collection of the series that I found, and I couldn't find another hardback of it - at least at a reasonable price. I like it, it doesn't feel like a collectors 100 dollar leatherbook. But for 3 books for 20 bucks, whatever. Don't get any translations from B&N though, because they are some of the worst.

I have the Poe and Lovecraft versions. Pretty nice books.

They have glued bindings and non-archival paper. I received the Gray's Anatomy B&N edition as a gift last year, and the text block is already sagging.

You can find Easton and Franklin library editions second-hand for a similar price, if not less.

Gilding is to prevent dust from getting between the pages, not moisture.

They're gaudy - faux leather and gold-leaf pages. Not in good taste. I have a couple of them, they look ok on a shelf next to my other hardbacks but I wouldn't recommend. Like gold-colored phones. I regret that purchase too.