Any Dawkins admirers here? He's my favorite philosopher

Any Dawkins admirers here? He's my favorite philosopher.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutualism_(biology)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gr8 b8 m8

Is it great, though?

He is ok but apparently wrong with the selfish gene stuff
Which isn't even his original idea tho

Any more info on this? I've literally just finished reading it.

See Yaneer Bar-Yam, Peter Godfrey-Smith and Eva Jablonka.

Read Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution by Kropotkin

Group selection is minimally important when compared to individual selection.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutualism_(biology)
The only reason you can digest food is because of a mutualistic relationship between your gut bacteria and you. Even your very mitochondria are most likely a part of a mutualistic relationship that is billions of years old.

I'd rather have something that directly references problems with the Selfish Gene than something that was written before.

>Even your very mitochondria are most likely a part of a mutualistic relationship that is billions of years old.
Mitochondria are trapped in the human body tho, I am not sure if it is mutualistic.

>philosopher
The most simple bait is often the most efficient.

my favorite contemporary thinker

Gene selection theory is still vitally important for understanding evolution and was at the forefront of our understanding when Dawkins wrote the Selfish Gene (it was published 40 years ago, remember, a lot has happened in the field since). He never claimed to invent the idea, he was involved in the field and wrote a book explaining it to lay people.

I unironically do like Dawkins.

He shits all over Muslims, Christfags, Jews, the lot, no one is safe from his condescension.

Mitochondria don't have a concept of being trapped, and they will propagate as long as multicellular organisms continue to exist.

I know that the gene centered view is rather mainstream (for lack of better word), but these disapprove it:
>Yaneer Bar-Yam, Peter Godfrey-Smith and Eva Jablonka

I suppose time will tell whatever the gene centered view is correct or not. From what've read it is applicable in only a number of cases.

I guess you are correct into saying that reproduction is all it takes to be mutualistic

Mitochondria are not organisms you guys. They probably originated as a one-celled organism absorbing the other. But they are not at all considered organisms now, and can thus impossibly be in a mutualistic relationship with anything else.

I recommend reading a biology textbook to get general knowledge of evolution and the cell. Evolution in particular is incredibly interesting in my opinion.

Anyone have book recs on evolution?

I have biology textbook from a former study, Campbell, but to be honest I find it boring. Focuses too much on the details if you ask me.

I prefer textbooks about specific subjects or just regular (pop)science books.

I read power, sex, suicide by Nick Lane about mitochondria. Other books: "The Tinkerer's Accomplice" by Scott Turner. "Relentless evolution" by John Thompson and "Dogs: their fossil relatives and evolutionary history" by Xiaoming Wang.

I have read a few other books but don't feel like mentioning them all.

>his public legacy will be coining a colloquial name for image macros

Is this real? I wouldn't be that surprised if it was after his recent TV show.

You have to be kidding me

Isn't he one of those edgy scientists that dismisses philosophy, like Neil deGrasse Tyson or Hawking?

Yes he is.
I say this because it seem obviously fake. I am not talking of the recent TV show which indeed was puzzling.

wow that is a thing that am do could are be like more but what say could it's just common sense HMMM