Does lit watch movies? Is there any movie that did the book justice, or even surpassed it?

Does lit watch movies? Is there any movie that did the book justice, or even surpassed it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yB6S3c7f8XA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ya. Plenty, but that's a poor way to think.

I love watching movies. My two favorite adaptations are of Filth (by Irvine Welsh) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (by Ken Kesey).

Not really sure about "do the book justice" or "surpassed" because the mediums are so different. I just keep them as separate realms for the most part (and by the most part I mean entirely).

Howl's Moving Castle
Fight Club

Both sensible answers. I don't know why I asked the question as I've never compared books to movies. I think I just wanted to start a movie/book thread and see where the discussion went. One flew over the cuckoo's nest is in my top 5, I'll check out filth.

Filth won't change your life, but it's a helluva ride. Absolute degeneracy, as the title implies. If you like Welsh's other stuff (like Trainspotting), you'll like Filth.

That being said, I saw the film first and think it's better that way. The novel uses some strange techniques to demonstrate Bruce Robertson's decent into insanity, which doesn't come across as well as they could have. The film helped me understand it though, so I ended up really enjoying the book as well.

>Fight Club

Underage people are not allowed on this website

You should leave then, bubbaleh.

I think Pride and Prejudice is good but the Donald Sutherland film is an unassuming comfy masterpiece.

Get a new computer Sven

American Psycho
The Shining
Misery

No need, I really only use it to browse this place, write papers, and read the news. I'll use it til it won't start.

Ran and 2001, definitely.

Though I do agree with the anons that said film and literature shouldn't be compared since they are completely different media. Plus this applies more strongly to these films since they're only loose adaptations of their respective source texts (King Lear and the Sentinel, respectively).

Yeh okay we all know you just changed the design and don't have a windows w/e

?

I'm rocking legit version of Windows Vista bro.

John Carpenter's The Thing was far better than the Novella Who Goes There by John W Campbell

All the events and dialogue within WGT seem forced, and there are too many characters for a 21k word story. None of the characters are identifiable, and it seems like the author attempted to make the characters dialogue humourous in some scenes, but it always fell flat. It could of done with being double its original length so that things didn't feel so rushed.

The prose was particularly ugly as well, possibly the ugliest I've read.
>The huge blowtorch McReady had brought coughed solemnly. Abruptly it rumbled disapproval throatily. Then it laughed gurglingly.

In the end it feels like every change Lancaster and Carpenter made was for the betterment of the film. The novella never gave me the feeling of being alone in Antarctica like the film managed.

Aside from the obvious Godfathers and Forest Gumps forest gump is one of the worst books ever of the world, this blows the source material away.

Stalker
The Gospel According to St Matthew

The Fight Club movie came out when I was 16, it was a big deal for young guys at the time. If anything it was the first time any of us had heard anti-feminist stuff spoken in the open.

In that regard Hellraiser is better than The Hellbound Heart.

Pic related is much much better than the source material. The music is amazing, DDL is fantastic, the Mohicans are fantastic actors, the action is great, and the book is a dry re-imagining of a captivity narrative

youtube.com/watch?v=yB6S3c7f8XA

Nobody really reads The Neverending Story and the second half of that book was tediously shite fantasy battles and politics. The film was great but also missed the part where they meet the author and everything goes a bit meta for a while, which was a shame.

My personal lit* movie list

- Stalker
- Last year at Marienbad
- The Seventh Seal
- The purple Taxi
- Aguirre - The Wrath of God
- The 120 Days of Sodom
- The Night Porter

* "lit" more like a feeling and not "lit" like based on a novel

Took a 500 page book with probably 7 or more plots and turned it into a 2 hour movie with 3 plots
And it did it magnificently

How do you deal with Microsoft no longer supporting antivirus for it?

Inherent Vice is better as a film

nice bait

This is the bizarre thing about Kubrick, despite being so famous for his controlling style of direction he almost only directed adaptations.

Hitchcock said it was easier to adapt a piss poor book into a great film rather than a great book into a great film.

It shows with examples like Jaws (piss pulp book about grr angro shark) and Stray Dog (original was a pulpy Japanese novel that Kurosawa enjoyed but accepted it wasn't much in terms of literature).

>- Stalker
>- Last year at Marienbad
>- The Seventh Seal
>- The purple Taxi
>- Aguirre - The Wrath of God
>- The 120 Days of Sodom
>- The Night Porter

the 'im studying creative writing for film and tv' starter pack

These two are actually horrible adaptations.

Has anyone read The Godfather?

I'm loving the movies right now, considering reading the books

Yes. Puzo is to crime what ludlum is to spy novels or Alistair MacLean is to schlock action. Typical 60s-70s sub-literary "epics" likes Roots or The Thorn Birds or Shogun.

I found Brief History of Seven Killings to be a far better take on such things.

this is often a common criticism but let's be honest those films are still pretty damn fantastic

Didn't Tarkovsky say that?

And? Those movies are all excellent and influential. Why do /tv/ and /mu/ users have to worship obscurity while at the same time those same people will criticize you on Veeky Forums if you don't read and praise the universally-loved classics?

There's a Russian adaption of Crime and Punishment from 1970 that's kind of weird but in such a way as fits really good to the book.
You can watch it with subtitles on youtube.

The Congress by Ari Folman is an animation/live-action hybrid VERY LOOSE adaptation of The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem and does some really interesting things with it.

Lunacy by Jan Svankmajer is another example of an extremely loose adaptation that turned out pretty great. It's based on The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether, as well as some other Poe stories and some Marquis de Sade stories.

Charlie Kaufman adapted his own play, Anomalisa, into a stop-motion film, and it's pretty great.

Five Easy Pieces, starring Jack Nicholson, is easily the most literary movie ever made and I will fight to the death to defend this opinion.

Henning Carlsen's adaptation of Hunger is a masterpiece of cinema. I won't say it surpassed the book but it certainly did it justice. If any of you can find a copy of it I urge you to watch it.

A Clockwork Orange, Kubrick understood the human mind better than the author.

>Five Easy Pieces
just saw the trailer.
Definetly gonna check that out.

GOODFELLAS. Even the author admitted it.

It's different. It's good.

Watchmen and Apocalypse Now, if you count em

Shame is a pretty lit movie

>wasting you are time watching poors souls faking conversations for 70 mins
Like is movies even art?

>Watchmen
Holy shit kill yourself

>/mu/
>worship obscurity
kek I had an audible chuckle

is that picture from a movie?

The Tin Drum and Solaris

Movie improves it pretty convincingly. You're not special for reading it.

Does Veeky Forums have any recs for books on screenwriting?

The Satantango film is significantly better than the book.

Franco's Faulkner

Eric Rohmer is the most literary director

12 Angry Men

No, Hitchcock

Not that user, but I've been reading one of his biographies and it's a recurring theme. Very few of Hitchcock's films are original stories.

WTF I DONT BELIEVE LIT ANYMORE WHAT A TERRIBLE TASTE

Cinema is vastly inferior to lit. Movies are for boring idiots who think shadows and light in a particular angle exagerrating a plot dynamic is somehow brilliant.

Hitler speeches

the version with peter lorre was good too

my mom's new girlfriend loves this movie

rebel without a crew is ridiculous and stupid. if you're seriously clueless, read some of bordwell's intro books and follow cahiers for awhile. google around and see what local museums and arthouse places are screening. follow festivals and read a lot.

seriously tho read bordwell

la grande strada azzurra
being there
finnis terrae (1929)

I unironically think the psychological insight of Boogie Nights, and some of PT Anderson's other stuff, is on par with Dostoyevsky and DH Lawrence at their best.

Other than that, in no order
>Underground (1995)
>King of Comedy
>Computer Chess
>The 400 Blows
>The Deer Hunter
>Barton Fink

are all, imo, on the level of some great prose works in how richly they explore human psychology.

sorry, misread the post, but eh