How useful is physics in med school? In my country, unlike any other normal country...

How useful is physics in med school? In my country, unlike any other normal country, physics is the most important subject if you want to get accepted, followed by chemistry and biology is the least important. I have always thought it should be the other way around. So any insight on how physics can be more important than biology in med school?

Other urls found in this thread:

care.diabetesjournals.org/content/17/2/152
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>In my country, unlike any other normal country,
>physics is the most important subject if you want to get accepted
Are you a brainlet? Physics is the most important subject, congratulations on not living in banana republic.

>UK not requiring physics
>Germany not requiring physics
>most US universities not requiring physics
Or even if they do require physics, it's usually the least important of the three subjects that i listed. Look at the entry requirements of any UK university. If you want to study medicine, they require you to be exceptionally good at chemistry and biology. Almost no mention of physics.

In med school, it's not that important.

That being said, there are certain specialities that heavily rely on physics, and you're certain to not even be considered for residency if you didn't study physics in your undergrad.

The only important thing in medicine is being able to memorize as much bullshit as possible, be good at multiple choice and being a good goy cuck staying overnight.

The only important subject in any field is mathematics.

care.diabetesjournals.org/content/17/2/152

you tell me

med school is memorizing a bunch of pseudoscience and how to peddle it onto unsuspecting idiots. the good news is that you get to play a mad scientist within somewhat loose boundaries after you complete the ritual initiation.

It depends what area of medicine.

If you are going into anything dealing with cancer treatments (radiation specifically) or imaging, it's important to know electromagnetism, atomic, nuclear and some quantum physics. If you are going to do any kind of computational research, you will have to know computational methods learned in a physics program. You may even need to know some thermodynamics at some point. Thats all I got off the top of my head

Physics is very important you dumdumb. You need at least medium eng-tier physics to properly understand biomechanics, acoustics, ECG, electrical and fluid dynamics in the body. Plenty of drugs work by affecting the physics of blood flow, air flow, permeability etc. that can only be quantified using physics.

In the U.S., not useful when you're in med school. I think some general physics is on the mcat, but very low-level, first-year of undergrad stuff. So, if you can cough up some shit from babby's first physics class on the entrance exam, you're set.

>If you are going into anything dealing with cancer treatments (radiation specifically) or imaging, it's important to know electromagnetism, atomic, nuclear and some quantum physics.
I don't know where you heard this, but I don't think it's the case. There are medical physicists (B.S. physics/math --> M.S. medical physics) whose job it is to know and worry about all of this stuff in radiation oncology. The MDs actually know very, very little, if any, EM, quantum mechanics, etc.

I think the only time when it could come up is a MD and MD/PhD who does a post-doc in biophysics and/or ends up running a lab that does biophysical work. But, I can't imagine an MD doing clinical work, especially in private practice, every having to know any physics.

If you don't understand the physics behind diseases and treatments, you'll be nothing more than a TV repair guy applied to humans.

Like a few other anons have said in here unless you're doing some niche research physics isn't important at all. Biophysics hasn't found anything that really changes or explains a disease treatment much so unless you want to expand the field you don't need it.

Veeky Forums is just full of hardcore reductionist who think you have understand the physics behind something to understand anything but they think actually seeing how it affects actual behavior via psychology is completely useless.

Nederland, neem ik aan? Wat een kankerpost

Resident here. Residencies do not look at your undergraduate transcript. They assume you took physics because it's a basic requirement to getting into most medical schools.

Cool model. Zero clinical application.

RadOnc and Rads has a little physics. You'll use super basic thermodynamics for things like TTM and MHTN. You'll need to know about fluid dynamics for things like airway resistance and laminar flow for iNO.

But really it's super basic stuff that you'll never actually need to pull out your Ti86 for.

>quantum

There is zero quantum physics in medicine.

>physics
You mean pathophysiology. That's really what you need to know.

Physics is underneath everything, but it's not what we learn or apply.

Honestly for medicine it's:

Physiology>Microbio>Neuroscience>Biochemistry>Biology>>>>>>Physics

Thank you for bringing truth to Veeky Forums. Damn autistic undergraduates.

Is this the pre-health care thread
>tfw self esteem too low to pursue it

Im probably too dumb

Pooland? It may be helpful during biophysics course, but otherwise it's pretty useless.

>Cool model. Zero clinical application.
Newfag detected. That paper is a favorite in-joke here.

Found the jew

Chemistry, radiology, fluid dynamics (slightly), electricity, ion cascades, etc...

physics is important. it depends on what field of medicine you go into.

MD/PhD student here. PhD is in Biophysics. Undergrad physics is probably the least useful subject for medicine in general.