Itt: the definition of middlebrow

Jimmy, in oryx and crake, is the most accurate example of a chantard in literature.

in b4 virginia wolfe quotes

James Joyce

Bitch I'm a dog, woolf

shakespeare

i stand by it.

made me chuckle

no such thing, there's only high brow and low brow and the lack of middle ground only goes to show how false the substitution really is

Virginia Woolf is (no Joyce, but) great.

paulo coelho

lol... i get it :^)

>scratch head
>sniff finger
>smells like poo poo

Music for this feel

mid•dle•brow/ˈmJdəlˌbraʊ/
n.[countable] Informal Terms
a person of ordinary tastes and interests:A middlebrow is between a highbrow and a lowbrow.
adj.Sociology
characteristic of middlebrows.

>chantard

for a moment i thought this was some effete expression of French derivation for someone who sings their dialogue.

i've been here too long.

I like Malcolm Gladwell even though I know it's not top quality. He just has a really comfy writing style.

I read her intro for She by H Rider Haggard.

She talks more about herself than the actual book.

I like her early poetry, it's good for a young aspiring author but she developed (or failed to develop) into something so incredibly tedious

You may be giving her too much credit.

Nevil Shute desu

that's what intros are for. that's why Harlan Ellison writes all his own intros.

I tried one of his books and was put off by his writing style and I love pop-science

'The 5 Who Met in Heaven' - essential bookclub-core

interchangeable with collegecore

I prefer those who discuss the concepts, inspirations, themes and impact of the work.

new york city

kek

Ian McEwan
Phillip Roth
Zadie Smith

I was your brother in arms (those arms being situational deafness)

Billy Collins
Any of the "dirty realists" except Carver
Every member of the "brat pack"
Junot Diaz
Hemingway (that's right)
Steinbeck
Dave Eggers (total fraud)
Joyce Carol Oates
Franzen
Eugenides
Updike (pains me to say it)
Murikami
Michener/Wouk/others like this
Tom Wolfe
Graphic """novels""
Look at the shortlists for the Pulitzer, NBA, and especially Man Booker and it's a dismal tableaux of mediocrity. It's shocking how rarely first rate stuff is actually recognized
>Philip Roth
wrong

I agree with all but Steinbeck. He's definitely got a strong middle row streak, but Grapes of Wrath is formalistically innovative enough to be high brow (cf. The alternation between objective and subjective chapters with a consistent POV).

really? the whole list...
come on, there are some incredible books on that list.
maybe i fell for the meme but IJ was unironically the best book ive ever read

Virginia Woolf, desu. Her definition of the term describes her work better than anything else. It really is a remarkable case of projection.

idk what skinner is trying to say here...
ARE YOU MOCKING ME?????

Franzen.

Robert Frost

Cormac Mccarthy

>"If any human being, man, woman, dog, cat or half-crushed worm dares call me 'middlebrow' I will take my pen and stab him, dead."
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Graphic """novels""

>Billy Collins

Billy Collins is definitely middle brow but I don't think he's really trying for anything else.