Other urls found in this thread:

vndb.org/g1565
isfdb.org/
subterraneanpress.com/gardens-of-the-moon
mega.nz/#F!Zk0ChJra!GJ-AVuTX0CyASBqIHn6dhw
dictionary.com/browse/irony
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

funky art

saw pic related on reddit, don't enlarge it at first. When you do, play around with defocusing your eyes and moving it further and closer to you.

Any good stories where AI is just placid and creative. Kind of like the Technocore in Hyperion, if they weren't actually evil

most minds in the Culture I guess.

Will we ever add a Wuxia/Xianxia chart?

You could try making one in /a/ and keep it there if you could do us a favor

Does The Wonderful Wizard of Oz count as fantasy?

Okay, no.

Why is house spirits in the list but not a Thousand years of solitude when the former is a literally copy of the latter.

Allende is a shitty writer hated with passion in her country and South america not only because she copies every good author that south america has ever had but because she cant even copy them properly

>Thousand years of solitude
Don't you mean "one hundred years of solitude"?
And which list do you refer?

Holy shit Cixin Liu's Wandering Earth short stories are amazing

In the same way Remembrance of Earth's Past is amazing: weird inhuman robot-characters, but phenomenally original ideas. I highly recommend.

Why don't we make a genre fiction novel database where people can add books and all relevant tags akin to vndb.org
Why are weebs so much better at organisation?
Also sexual tags like vndb.org/g1565

Yeah, got confused. I am tired.

In the flowchart

>sexual tags
If you're reading to find a scene you can wank to, you're doing it wrong.

Thinking of getting more of the commonwealth saga books. The first two were some of the most epic space operas I've read. The scale was pretty incredible.

Tell that to the GRI readers.

I was just appealing to the GRI crowd.
Also I'm going to make a genre fiction database website this summer whether you like it or not and I'm going to shill it here too.

Anything involving alternate universe traveling? I don't mean "character goes to another world and has an adventure there", as there's a shitton of that, but something where dimension hopping is the main motif.

>genre fiction database
do it

I will.
Eventually.
I promise.

Myth-Adventures series by Robert Aspirin. A fantasy series with magic users that are dimensional travelers. Main character is human who's dimension is called Klah by other dimensions....he's a Klahd.His partner is a demon from Perv....he claims he's a Pervect but every one else calls them Perverts.

Oh, i see now. Maybe they didn't know who the latinoamericans hate her for do it that, also it's a fucking crime there's not the original by Garcia Marquez

>Two grown men fighting each other with flowers by throwing the leaves back and forth

You might like this. Not the same thing, but I find it quite useful.

Like what?
Drinking my own jizz?

I'm afraid I don't understand.

Whoops, I'm a little out of it today. Meant to post a link.
isfdb.org/

Thanks to the user who recommended these. I ran right through the series one after the next. Good cheesy military sf / adventure stories. At first I thought the gimmick would take the drama out of it, but in a way it added. The first person narrator actually could die and still go on to tell the story. I also liked the characters, who filled out clean simple types that work well in an ongoing series.

There were a few wobbles, and I kept expecting the series to implode but it was still pretty strong after six books.

Then I read the first Star Force and it just wasn't as good. It's a little remote, with the narrator giving a lot of summaries rather than involving us in key moments. Has anyone read it? Is this just a new writer finding his sea legs or does it weigh down the whole series?

>Thanks to the user
You're welcomed

>I read the first Star Force...Has anyone read it?
No I never touched that series. I recommend Imperium series if you liked Undying Mercenaries. Sadly didn't touch his other books as they didn't appeal to me(yet?)...

You can try Neal Asher's Agent Cormac Series now that you finished Bv Larson.

I haven't read a book in a decade, someone suggested Malazan to me in a previous thread. This is what I picked up today. Let's do this lads.

Oops forgot pic

I like Malazan, but wouldn't've suggested it as a good way of getting back into reading. Just press on, it'll start coming together towards the end.

...end of Gardens of the Moon rather.

Genre fiction, mainly wuxia and xianxias, reignited my urge to read. Once you realize how little they offer you go back to the roots.

not really a fan of that malazan cover.
are there different editions of malazan with better covers?

dunno if it's still in print

No clue there were only two copies at the bookstore, both the same.

rather expensive

subterraneanpress.com/gardens-of-the-moon

>releasing 15 novels in 2014

Seriously what the fuck

I have this one. It's okay.

I like most of the TOR covers.

>125 dollars
>a single book
holy shit fuck that.

That looks off.

why sleep when you can WRITE MORE

First time I hear of him or his books, anything worth a read?

see

Splurged a bit today.

Try book one if anyone's curious

mega.nz/#F!Zk0ChJra!GJ-AVuTX0CyASBqIHn6dhw

I was thinking of buying the Prince of Thorns since I havent read an anti hero book (or a book really) in long time.

Would you recommend it?

BV Larson shiller here. You can also try pic related.
I enjoyed it.

I wouldn't tell you not to read it. His second trilogy was better imo but probably makes more sense to read Jorg's story first.

>First time I hear of him or his books
>shilling him for 2 plus years in this general
>First time I hear of him
You guys just come to meme right? You don't read actual recommendations or book reviews?

God forbid someone started browsing these threads recently.

>His second trilogy was better imo
Why do you have to tell lies in the general?

It's happening too steady. Along with the "I know this question has probably been asked here a lot".
They will both turn into memes if they don't watch it .

What's a good place to start with Stanislaw Lem?

nobody cares about your shitty charts you fat monkey

Solaris or The Futurological Congress: From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy, whichever sounds more appealing to you.

Who is that cutiepotpie around the bottom right looking all elvish

>yet more and more people are coming in the general thanking me for recommending those "shiity books" on that "shitty chart". Really makes you think.

Forgot her(?) meme. Crop her out and google it.

Where is the thing itself shill? Haven't seen him or the buried meme for months now... I wonder if they were one and the same..

I have a question about the "The Expanse" series. I'm in the 4th book and I quite liked the science aspect so far. How everything works a bit different because of the hostile environment of space, the physical differences, the social aspects and so on.
But now I'm a bit confused. in book 4, a bunch of people go to live on New Terra which is described as having a gravity of 1.1g. Yet, they take a bunch of Belters there, how is that possible? Multiple times it has been mentioned that even thrust coming up to 1g is incredibly uncomfortable to belters, and during book 3 it is mentioned that Naomi would NEVER be able to set foot on earth because of the gravity and it seems like she couldn't even be there for a few days. So how come now suddenly they're all fine with 1.1g? That seems like a silly oversight to me considering how tight the books were on gravity differences so far.

Ask cosmerefag. He is the only one here who reads it.

I may be mistaken, but I think he just did.

Found an old ratty copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey in my father's bookshelf and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. He has a copy of the sequel there too. Is it worth reading or should I not bother?

If you've ever watched the movie, it's a good companion piece. If not, aside from the ending it's a very typical Clarke novel; i.e. an very hard-science setting with lots of interesting and exhaustively explained details and the bare minimum of plot to propel the characters through it. Sequel is basically more of the same, except even harder science and more details.

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly; I thought you hadn't read 2001. 2010 is more typical Clarke (lots of details, little plot); the main difference is that it ignores the abstract and mystical elements of 2001's ending and also does a fair bit of retconning to make details more accurate. I'd say give it a read if you enjoyed 2001 even before the ending.

What's the Hobb consensus?

Really enjoying this at the moment.

Managed to find the whole series in a charity shop. ££24 for all 14 books aint bad. Got a lot of reading to do though, comfy times ahead.

Why the fuck is that attention whore in the image? Did she used to post in this general?

Is this going to be the greatest dystopia of the century?

Also, how come that old cyberpunks are now stand for the big corps, establishment and shiet they used to scare people with in their books?

I posted about the book here and was greeted by a counter-shill after which I went on to shill it personally, so could be either of us.

Anyway I re-read it over Easter and it still holds up. Disgustingly verbose for a simple genre fiction reader like me but the meat of the novel is digestable as ever.

Nothing written by Gibson will be the "greatest" anything.

Let me help ya:
dictionary.com/browse/irony

Old people usually settle for the status quo instead of raging against the machine.

When is the next rothfuss book coming out

>I stared at her. “What are you talking about?”
“Don’t tell me that you didn’t see the cocks. That huge woman with the headscarf and knives was selling them in the morning market. They were thick as my wrist!” She circled her wrist with her fingers by way of demonstration, then narrowed her eyes, suddenly sly. “You bought one, didn’t you?”
>“What would I want with a wrist-thick jade cock?”
>“I’ll go ahead and assume that the question is rhetorical.”
“I’ll go ahead and assume you understand that a polished stone phallus has nothing to do with love.”
>Ela frowned speculatively. “Let’s not say nothing.”
>“I’d imagine falling in love with a rock would be a stretch, even for you.”
>“Nothing wrong with stretching.” She winked.

Staveley writing chick lit now.

>those last two covers

How's The Mist book?

Ask the person who made the pic. I just post it.
Btw, he hasn't been seen in a year I think.

Looks like fun. I'll check her out.

Nothing wrong with the books showing tragic and epic moments from the books, is it?

Decent.

>big corps
I don't want to start shit or anything but isn't Trump literally a big corp?

Is grounded science fiction dead? Is the only successful way forward to write blatant Star Trek knockoffs with no regard for realism, instead incorporating only a thinly-veiled philosophical message over an unused PeeWee's PlayHouse set?

Most modern sci-fi writers probably lack the scientific knowledge to write futurist fiction with any degree of verisimilitude. And those with the scientific underpinning aren't always the best of writers.
There also probably isn't much of an audience for it anymore

You could sort of approach post-singularity stuff as being "grounded", even if it does do a lot of quantum handwaving.

Farseer is decent. I remember the ship books getting pretty stupid towards the end.

Red sister was pretty fun. Even if it was fairly predictable.

>Is grounded science fiction dead? Is the only successful way forward to write blatant Star Trek knockoffs with no regard for realism
You do know that a lot of things we have today were written about in sci-fi novels first (not based in reality at the time), then persons who read those books as a kid made it their life's mission to bring those gadgets to reality?

You know the "warp drive" concept was because of star trek or enterprise or w/e?

Stop being an elitist cunt. Sci-fi has always been about the what if, and not the what now. Predicting science trends (with theories) has always been the norm. You sound like you are too fucking educated in science to enjoy scifi because you know it's wrong. So now you want others to bend to your will and write hard, believable scifi.

You and your contemporaries are what is killing sci-fi.

Got red sister and skullsworn tucked away. Will get to them before the next Sanderson book.

I will never understand this obsession some of you spergs have about sci-fi needing to be as realistic as possible. Or even completely real.

>grounded = autistically devoted to realism
Stop being autistic, there's plenty of territory between Star Wars and NASA grant papers

start of darujistan rather.

is dune worth reading or is it just a meme?

Meme

First book is.

>tfw to smart to read anything that isn't a peer reviewed paper

>lol I ain't gots dat reading comprehension