What's your excuse for not having read the only (thus far) great author of the 21st century?

What's your excuse for not having read the only (thus far) great author of the 21st century?

She wrote Beloved, right? I've been meaning to read that. Some of the excerpts I've heard have been beautiful

Song of Solomon is her masterpiece.
Rest is a bit shit. So no, not the 'only great author of the 21st centry'.

But here's what you really want: niggers and women are inferior to the white rational logical man like me

her hair looks like grey wool. i don't read grey wool-haired people. i'm just biased that way. if i have to miss out on the greatest literature of the 21st century, so be it.

...did Ellroy die?

All of Morrison's really good stuff was published in the 20th century, though.

I loved austerlitz

Beloved is good. gets bloody and violent real quick.

Damn how old is Colson Whitehead? didnt know his head was actually white lm@o

a challenger appears

I know you're just a /pol/fag trying to bait people by saying a black woman is the only great author of the 21st century and have probably never actually read anything by Toni Morrison, let alone Zadie Smith, Salman Rushdie, Thomas Pynchon, DFW, Cormac McCarthy, etc.

this guy knows

>black, writes only about being black
>somehow revolutionary and amazing
really activates my almonds

how many white authors wrote about not being white?

Name one good thing she's written in the 21st century.

She's a 20th century holdout who just happens to still be alive, don't kid yourself. I mean even if we're operating on just 20th century holdouts who have written novels in the 21st century, Pynchon, McCarthy, and Gass are certainly all ahead of her. That said, Song of Solomon and Beloved are both fantastic novels.

Best novelist of the century thus far is probably Franzen or Bolaño, and that's not saying much. Zadie Smith could be in the running but I've never read anything by her.

>Franzen
it honestly fucking worries me that some people can think this.

A wild russian appears

Which is why I tendered it with 'that's not saying much'. He's a B to B+ novelist who happens to be the best out of a generally sorry lot of 21st century fiction thus far. What other names should I throw out there? Chabon? Saunders?

Throw out another name or stop talking.

Trying to be objective, I am almost certain 2666 is the best of the century as far as literary fiction, and if we take a step back to good popular fiction, Brief History of Seven Killings.

RIP

>reading books

Googles top 10. 2666, Atonement, Austerlitz and Wolf Hall are all pretty decent.

The Road and Franzen are trash.

The rest seem mom-tier

I cant believe Junot Diaz will be remembered as a "great" author. Holy shit, I cant fathom it.

Finished this the other day, good stuff.

Vollmann
Mathias Enard
Jonathan Littel
Jim Crace
Edouard Leve
Denis Johnson

Houellebecq is better than all of these

Gilead is a tremendous book.

zadie smith isn't even good, let alone anywhere near as good as toni morrison lol

>Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus’ son Achilleus
>and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the Achaians,
>hurled in their multitudes to the house of Hades strong souls
>of heroes, but gave their bodies to be the delicate feasting
>of dogs, of all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished
>since that time when first there stood in division of conflict
>Atreus’ son the lord of men and brilliant Achilleus. . . .
>so where be them reparations yo

>Pinecone, DFW
>great
Kek. American education in a nutshell.

>American """"""""""""""""""authors"""""""""""""""

You people make me sick

A lot, actually. The only black authors I know of who wrote about not being black were James Baldwin and Zora Hurston. Each of them wrote one book about white characters. In all fairness it's probably the publisher who turns down all the black books that aren't about muh racism and oppression. They know it's not what the white, mainly female, "literary" demographic wants. It's like how every book set in Africa has an acacia tree and an orange sunset on it, there are certain market demands that publishers ignore at their peril.

>Ellroy
No, Joseph McElroy didn't die.

KRASNAHORKAI