What's the lesson of this book?

What's the lesson of this book?

To kill John Lennon and Ronald Regan.

how to make money off of teenagers and manchildren with no discernment or taste

Keep it 100 senpai.

Literally it.

don't be a fucking phoney , and fight who ever tries to fuck your favorite bitch I.E. don'tt be a cuck

>and fight who ever tries to fuck your favorite bitch
I don't think the book was suggesting that was a good idea.

to never read it again, because its fucking terrible

To see puberty as a alien chick with a Vespa

I think the moral of the story was that holden was a nutjob. All that phony shit and his emo behaviour was because he ws crazy. Thats why he ends up in the loony bin. And you just shouldnt take anything he says seriously becuse hes sick.

That teenage alienation is relatable, but that you must ultimately grow out of it and accept that you do exist in a society with others.

Basically, to not end up like Holden, living in a state of denial and looking down on everyone, while at the same time lying to himself willfully sabotaging himself in an effort to distance himself from the rest of society.

>Basically, to not end up like Holden, living in a state of denial and looking down on everyone, while at the same time lying to himself willfully sabotaging himself in an effort to distance himself from the rest of society.

Veeky Forums

Don't dwell in the past.

It's not just "teenage alienation." That's a very week misinterpretation too many people are guilty of. Holden's obviously haunted by the death of his little brother and his college friend. He associates maturity and the adult world with death.

people who dismiss catcher and the rye are almost as bad as the people who love it desu

Benevolence casts a malevolent shadow.

catagorize the characters by age and examine the relationship dynamics with one another, especially in relation to Holden.

>In the same age group (Holden and the boys)
they are equals and treat one another as such.
>Older/younger
Holden acts benevolently and admiringly towards those younger than him(his late brother, little sister, and the girl at the park.) This is the "Catcher in the Rye" theme- Holden wants to take care of those who are younger than him, but when he acts benevolently towards them they either think he's weird or get frustrated with him. This is especially apparent in the carousel scene. He's trying to be a good older brother but by doing what's best for his little sister, he makes her mad and realizes that she needs her space to grow.
>Younger/older
This theme carries throughout Holden's interactions with those older than him. They try to help him, but he gets bored/frustrated/suspicious of them. They give him his space to figure it out, but try guiding him. Like that first scene with the old teacher that encourages him (smells bad, talks too much, probably senile, etc.) Holden's other brother who got a great career(away from Holden) so Holden sees it as prostitution because he doesn't understand that dimension of responsibility, the drunk guy in the end that was taking care of Holden, pats his head affectionately but Holden takes it the wrong way. The guy gives him his space anyhow.

Benevolence casts a malevolent shadow; the older folks try to take care of the youth and the youth misinterpret their actions as disruptive/frustrating/a general bummer

FLCL is the best coming of age story of all time in any medium

I stopped reading it after Holden rapes his sister

Yeah, you're right - his brothers death is "overlooked" in the book, since he doesn't want to talk about it, but it's very obvious he got fucked up over it.

Honestly, I said teenage alienation mostly because that's the most common phrase tossed around wikipedia and sparknotes. It's kinda interesting though, the book wasn't supposed to be specifically for yonug adults, but perhaps because of the alienation-theory it got kinda slotted into a book for teenagers?

Yeah, this is pretty accurate. I'm not sure about the drunk teacher though - Holden is a very subtle unreliable narrator IMO - you suspect he's not telling it accurately, but it's hard to know just how much. Like take the prositute scenes - maybe the pimp really said ten dollars, and Holden changed it to fit his story? I mean, if you take none of his narration of face value, literally every scene in the book changes dramatically.

Fuck off Perezoso.

Kill yourself

Keep your receipt.

Nah, that guy was a fruit.

Don't reply to me, phony.

>book
>lesson
Ahahaha faggot

>FLCL
>literally just Boner Jokes: The Experience
>2/3ds of what's happening is unintelligible in manga format
Wow 10/10

The world is fucked up and full with fucked up people.
But it is worth to live if there is somebody who loves you unconditonally.

this

to tell society to fuck off.

Don't be a spoiled brat and act like you are the only smart guy in the world because, chances are, you are just as pathetic.

this desu

Oh fuck, am I Holden?

I have to check this book...

Gotta agree with you there.

What does FLCL stand for?

Fooly Cooly, shits beyond kino my nigger. nice trips btw.

This