So why don't women these days cook like their moms and grandmothers used to?

So why don't women these days cook like their moms and grandmothers used to?

Same reason most men don't cook:
-wide availability of cheap food that requires no skill to prepare
-loss of skills because gossip, facebook, and video games is more appealing than learning cooking

It was an essential skill for marriage & running a family in the past. It was literally their craft so everyone made sure to teach their daughters.

Also to blame are:
>feminist mothers
>availability of cheap premade food

because men don't work hard like their dads and grandfathers used to

The sad thing about it is that so many great recipes will die with the last generation.

Chefs only get taught how to cook the same crap in each field of cuisine.

Women's (((liberation))) or some such. Honestly as a guy I don't mind because I learned how to cook at an early age from my mom and grandma, learned all the family recipes and """secrets""" and cook any damn thing requested of me. Every girl I've dated has been laughably incompetent in the kitchen. I learn their favorite dishes or general tastes and surprise cook for them (early on I never let them know I can cook). Last girl I brought homemade cookies to her work for all her coworkers for Christmas. Another girl I brought all my sushi stuff to her apartment after a bad day and made her favorite rolls.

It pays off, the pussy game has been insane for doing such things senpai desu.

Jews.

>Family are all Irish pagan, so traditional gender roles, lots of kids, big appetites
>Every Sunday we have 20+ people for dinner
>On average cooking 25 meals
>Turn 5 and you have to help clean utensils and sweep up
>Turn 10 and you have to do the dishes
>Turn 12 and you have to make the sauces/gravy and set the table
>Turn 15 and you have to make a dish
>Boys only have to help clean as kids after dinner
>the rest of the time they get to go play
>The men just fuel the fire, smoke, drink and make bets on sports

Women would cook more if there was division of labour, but largely it's down to "Well, it's always been your job" in a society where women now have to keep jobs as well as a house.

It sounds like a shitpost because its Veeky Forums and all that but the reality is that I grew up in a family with no cooks on either side of the gender fence.

I didnt get a single non half assed retard boomer recipe passed down to me. Its not the case and reason for all families, but many it is.
Fruit fluff - cottage cheese, cool whip, pineapple, jell-o mix
chicken soup - frozen breasts thrown into a pot with stock cubes and celery/carrots
spaghetti - noodles and store bought sauce

Is the more reasonable answer, but isnt the only reason. Breakdown of family is a big part. Im a guy and I am only 26. I can cook better than every single person on my father's side of the family, and im shit.

they don't? mine does

Technology. Technological development has led to women being capable of doing virtually any job as well as men. Couple that with the corporate owners pushing for women to enter the workforce and shaming those who don't to expand the pool of available labor so they can pay significantly less. Labor is a commodity in capitalistic societies and a greater supply of available labor means reduced wages and salaries. Since most are in the workforce there's no reason for them to be expected to cook more than men.

The death of the Nuclear Family

Find a wife from the countryside. They're good at cooking compared to city diseased vaginas.

>pushing for women to enter the workforce and shaming those who don't to expand the pool of available labor so they can pay significantly less.
Yup, because women are stupid and are brainwashed to seek out jobs, so men will make less money. Stupid women can't think for themselves, why would they ever want to have a career when they can just marry a man and have children.

Hard to say, I think part of the reason is the availability of pre-packaged foods but also that parents don't bother passing the skills down.

For example: my grandmother made delicious home made pasta. My mother never did because either a) we would go to grandma's for dinner at least a couple times a week, b) she would get pasta from grandma, c) she would get storebought pasta. Not she nor my grandma never taught me to make pasta, and there's plenty of storebought options, so I don't make pasta, I just buy it.

I could learn how to do it myself but it would certainly be going out of my way for the novelty/fun and not out of necessity. Repeat till infinity with any other dish, skill or technique.

That said, I am grateful to be from a family where people know how to cook. Paternal grandma cooks (too fatty but she's skilled). Maternal grandma and grandpa cook. Mom cooks (her specialty is soups), dad cooks (he's best with meat based dishes and likes grilling stuff, typical dad shit, but he'll make a delish potato salad, pesto, anything). Both mom and grandma bake and tho I didn't really take any family recipes I'm a competent baker because I observed how they do stuff and then pursued recipes I liked with that knowledge. But if it hadn't been for my parents getting me involved and asking me to help out in the kitchen I'd probably have been fucking useless until I moved out.

My mom and her mother couldn't cook for shit. Good bakers tho. My mom's dad was a professional cook, bartender, and owned his own restaurant for a while.

My dad and his mom could both cook. My dad's dad worked his ass off but was essentially a man child for house work. He lived off of hot dogs, beans, and stuff family would make for him for like 30 yrs after his wife died.

Monolithic historical assumptions are a meme.

The internet exists. Pretty sure there are more and better recipes out there now than you could have ever collected going door-to-door at various grandparents' houses.

Mfw 4th generation carpenter

Why haven't the relationships worked out

Oh, let the nostalgiadrone stay miserable. If he wants to pretend that the best years of food are behind us, he'll be less likely to pick off our plates.

>"If he wants to pretend that the best years of food are behind us, he'll be less likely to pick off our plates."

name a modern dish that could compete with a classic dish

Whit each generation there is less and less time spent with family, less chance to pass on the knowledge.

Ice Sandwich

What does that even mean? Modern interpretations of classic dishes are abundant and quite good. Veeky Forums is not stagnant nor binary

Because I get depressed. Being told to "snap out of it" or called "fucking helpless" when you try your best. I prefer to be alone and drink heavily anymore. Yay.

Its worse than that
Business owners feel the need to hire more women despite the added drama and lesser work ethic and efficiency co.pared to men (gwnerally)

This is the most shitty hipster post I've seen
Thanks for the cancer, faget

They used to get schooled for it. I remember my mother telling me how she had to learn to thinly peel a potato from top to bottom without breaking the peel.

I bet you don't even have real clinical depression and you just fell for the memes.
I'd dump you too.

>Irish pagan

Feminism.

>So why don't women these days cook like their moms and grandmothers used to?

Should I cook this for you user?

I feel like in general, people always envision the past as being better and romanticize it because of nostalgia, but in reality it was really shit. Men especially romanticize the 1950's before women had a lot of rights and pretty much all you could do as a woman was cook, rear children, and spend your husband's earnings on catalog dresses. But think about it beyond that. Here you are, the one sole provider for the house and if your job goes to shit your family suffers immensely and you are the one to blame since your wife can't go get a job. Also, since your wife didn't go to college/got an MRS/never used her degree you're stuck with a woman with the reasoning of a fickle child who doesn't understand finances and only wants to order dresses from catalogs.

Bottom line is that it's not about "the good old days" or that women have lost a passion for cooking, they've just been capable of doing more. There had always been bad female cooks (pic related) but now bad female cooks aren't condemned to a life of cooking where they had to learn recipes from equally bad mothers and continue the culinary downward spiral. I have a passion for cooking, I am a woman, and I cook and I am good at it.

If anything, I think the culinary arts has benefited from modern technology and a more global market because we can get whatever produce we want all year round and are seldom restricted on what we can buy. And it doesn't matter anymore who is in the kitchen, whoever has the most passion for it will cook. And if you're dating a dumb bitch who can't cook, then you cook for yourself and trick her into doing literally all the other housework.

tl;dr you guys have nostalgia for an era you weren't even a part of where they mostly ate canned shit and jello

Thanks user.

good job on the refutations, lads

>What does that even mean?
How about we do "modern" as being from 1990 onwards and "classic" as being from before 1900

Post tiddies

In my defense I didn't attempt a refutation just asked a clarification on a poorly worded premise.

You've poorly framed your premise again though because you leave out 90 years of cooking. You hop from one arbitrary interpretation of cooking to another and clearly are trying to set forth a new proposition whose only goal is to protect your first. Your shit posting is bad and you should feel bad.

I like where you imply that women today don't have the reasoning of a fickle child just because they have jobs and aren't housewives anymore
Being that I've been laid off for about a month I've been at home taking care of our kid and doing the chores women traditionally were expected to do and you know what I've learned? Women who bitch about doing the same shit they do at work at home, which is the vast majority, ARE FICKLE FUCKING CHILDREN.
>oh my God I'm so tired cause I worked six hours
Bitch please, I would work 10 hour shifts on my fucking feet all day long and come home to cook dinner and spend the rest of the night with the baby because you "need a break", women are fucking pathetic in this day

here's the real, honest truth

cooking is no longer a necessity, so it has become a hobby. but not a "killing time" kind of hobby; rather, a self-improvement hobby. cooking is something you not only get an immediate tangible benefit from (survival), but it's also a fairly intricate and complex affair once you start to get really good at it. the more you put into cooking, the more you get out of it. cooking rewards you for being good, but it REALLY rewards you for being REALLY good.

and so it has become a "male hobby", like mechanical work/tinkering (though with electronics these days), carpentry/woodworking, sports, and so on. now that cooking has become uncoupled from its fairly strict gendered conceptions, that has made space for men to move in and reappropriate it for themselves as a way to work on themselves and "git gud" at something (a la bodybuilding, or non-casual videogames).

i could really see this pendulum swing going all the way to the other side, to be frank. i think more and more men over the next couple generations will learn how to cook primarily from their dads, and women will continue to be force-fed other paths of life (regardless of their actual preferences) to the point that by the end of the century, cooking could come to be seen socially as "a guy thing". whether in a derogatory sense or a fairly neutral sense remains to be seen.

but i could be totally fucking wrong about all of this lol. what do i know

>Projecting your personal problems of a cuck life on to her
Chill the fuck down. How do you find time to shitpost btw?

might be something indirectly related to your use of parentheses to indicate that the Jews are behind everything
glad you got dumped

>cuck
By life maybe, but those were the results of my own poor decisions, as far as finding time, she's old enough now that she can feed herself or when she's playing with her toys I snag the phone for a quick shitpost or two

I was just noting that people in general who don't use learned knowledge tend to forget it. Do you remember everything from world history in high school? No, because you don't use it. And women in that era who were treated similarly to children in what freedoms and responsibilities they had could not even understand the finances the way their husbands did, in an era where women weren't ever a part of the financial aspect of a home.

You're just married to a lazy bitch who exploits you by making her think that she is a fickle fucking child to get out of work. Women have been using the victim complex for centuries and still are (*cough* feminism *cough*). Find a woman that actually knows how to work. I make way more money than my bf so he does all the bitch work and I just cook, and he happily spends my money and I happily don't have to clean anything.

Why are some of you guys pretending to be women?

Your first paragraph neglects the actual history of women and the home, it wasn't slavery conditions and the women actually ran their home like it was a business including handling finances like paying bills/mortgages, dealing with repairmen, etc basically women were the GM of the home
You're also forgetting the aspect of women who took pride in taking care of a home, so you were just noting/observing one half of the coin that favors your perspective without even taking into consideration that there were plenty of women who didn't feel "oppressed" and took pride in their responsibilities, but of course in today's atmosphere the media wouldn't dare portray that

WHAT ABOUT TECHNOLOGICAL AND FOOD SUBSTANCE ADVANCEMENTS?

My mom cooks some pretty retarded shit but every now and then we get a "classic" greek dish like Dolmadaes, Spanakopita, or Pastitsio

maybe yours don't you fucking loser faggot

Is this your first day here?

lello

They busy open their legs

All I know is from what I have learned and it may be biased based on specifically my grandparents and history lessons by blatantly liberal public schools. You're right that there are women that enjoyed housework and took pride in what they did and it was a time period that certainly promoted it and encouraged it. I'm not ignoring that, but all I am saying is that you shouldn't glorify a past era and have false nostalgia for something you weren't a part of and don't fully understand. It wasn't always the case that 50's housewives were fantastic cooks, and it's only in the modern era where women have an opportunity to have a respectable life outside the home. Personally, I wouldn't feel fulfilled if my life was just housework and netflix.

I digress. The whole point of my argument was that the culinary past doesn't hold a candle to the modern food we have today where we can get any ingredient we desire and both men and women have opportunities in the kitchen if they desire instead of a shitty wife cooking shitty food simply because it is their defined role in society. Not everyone had grandmothers or mothers that knew how to cook and a lot of people are good cooks because they were eating shit their whole lives. It's just a matter of perspective.

Welcome to Veeky Forums where the women of Veeky Forums lay their heads.

My mom and grandma are both awful cooks.

>It pays off, the pussy game has been insane
This. Cooking is now incredibly sexy. As long as you're not woefully incompetent, womem get stupid horny over a man bringing them food.

It's good that God has prepared you for a life alone

When you asked for clarification on my usage of "modern" and "classic", yet decided you were also going to be ambiguous with your quote "modern reinterpretation of classic dishes" I knew you were just going to play semantics.

Your defense of "modern interpretations of classic dishes" betrayed that you clearly had your own internal, working definition of the two words, and you are just deciding to play dumb. I chose to advance a fair, quantified definition and you chose to weasel out of it. If you were not being disingenuous, you could have also come to the conclusion yourself that for example 1910 is not especially classic nor is 1970 especially modern.

If I were to capitulate and say "Before and after 1970" you would somehow cry about that as well. I propose you must have learned how to debate from that faggot Destiny, because you never advanced a single dish and are instead nitpicking what you *think* the form of my argument is.

Finally, your quip "Your shit posting is bad and you should feel bad" confirms my worst fear that you need to fuck off back to Rebbit

50 years of jewish propaganda

>So why don't women these days cook like their moms and grandmothers used to?

Because my grandmother was a Polish baba who used to make boiled dishes I didn't like, particularly golabki. She boiled everything from hot dogs to vegetables until the color left them.

My mother hated grandma's cooking growing up, so she latched onto my grandfather's heritage and focused on Americanized Italian cuisine, which in turn, I grew up to hate because I got tired of eating spaghetti and shitty lasagna all the damn time. If she tried to cook anything else, it'd be shit because she didn't follow a recipe and just assumed her way of doing things was the best.

So, no, I don't cook like my grandmother or mom and I'm okay with that. I actually try to cook different cuisines, want to learn, and most of the meals I make I put in effort and are therefore delicious. There's nothing they cooked that I couldn't make better, and everything I cook now they couldn't do.

>Have a Ukrainian mom who's food kicks ass

Golabki are good but you need a thick sauce with em', my mother and grandmother cook them in a tomato/sour cream sauce instead of boiling. Comes out really friggin delicious.

Because men don't hunt/buy them ingredients like their fathers and grandparents used to.

Makes you wonder what you're kids will be saying about you

starving artist checking in

Lol, only shitty cooks are sensitive about their kids critiquing their cooking.

My mom and grandmother didn't cook.

Dad was a dumb weeb who made us eat Japanese food 4 nights out the week. Fuck miss.

Probably good things because I won't feed them garbage.

>This triggered he writes his magnum opus to his theory of cooking eras
Lol thank you for the laughs laughs lad
>Tyftlll

> Here you are, the one sole provider for the house and if your job goes to shit your family suffers immensely and you are the one to blame since your wife can't go get a job.

yeah, and now we're in a position where if either of the providers lose their job, the household suffers immensely. fucking brilliant, feminists

other than that, you're right. it's not hard to put a pot roast in the oven, and the cooking in general was very simple "set it and forget it" kind of cooking that anyone that took home ec back in middle school could do. cooking has changed, and the availability of food has changed, and the culture has shifted where it's not feasible to make dinner all the time.

It's way easier to learn cooking from scratch these days though, so passing down knowledge is not that valuable anymore.

Internet & TV have more enough tutorials.

>Not caring about your family's PARTICULAR take on classic dishes
Fuck outta here. You have no history. You are nothing

>where the women of Veeky Forums lay their heads
I thought it was /cgl/

I would if my family had anything.
It's a luxury these days but not a necessity anymore.

SAD! how nothing tho? Don't you have at least a great aunt or uncle who kept it going? Fuck I'd be branching out the family tree like a mother fucker to get my hands on that info

Because its feminine and they don't want to be the feminist equivalent of an uncle tom.

brain power vs physical labor; using the brain in the data age to bring forth change is much more taxing on the body than you think.

Nah they are all dead. Only the generation before me is alive and they are fucking lazy or live so far away that i barely know em. My parents were 40 when the had me.

The reason your grandma knows how to cook is that she's been alive for many decades. A lot of people are naturally shit cooks but reality forces its way into their lives and they manage to pick up enough practice to get by. When you get older you'll understand how this "life experience" thing works
>the pussy game
Quit LARPing, kissless virgin

That board is like 90% gay dudes, there are more fags in /cgl/ than in /lgbt/ for god's sake

I don't know a single guy who would expect his future wife to hold down a full time job with a family. That's a responsibility you put on your own shoulders. You want financial independence to walk away, you want equality of power in the relationship.

Though I'm a lazy slob I still see plenty of blue collar workers who work 6+ days and evenings for family. If you want a traditional marriage it's not that hard to find one, do it while your young though.

Trips of eternal sadness.

I don't know a single married guy whose wife is a stay at home mother. Actually I know one, sorry I forgot about him. So of the married people I know, about 2% are a 1950s style stay at home mom and career dad. Everyone else relies on a combination of babysitters, retired parents, or working remote (this might come as a shock to some of you but a lot of jobs these days are so heavily based on email and web hosted conference calls that working at home is routine)

This may be a class thing, I imagine it's hard to work from home if you're a welder or a plumber.

Women's liberation movement
I'm serious

Not that it's a proof of anything but my sister and all of her girl friends are hopeless in the kitchen. While I still lived with my family I helped them multiple times when they didn't know how to read the recipe or just didn't know the necessary technique.

I've always tried to help her learn, but she can only make a few things that she personally enjoys and that's it. I feel bad for whoever will be her husband. Hope he earns enough to pay for both a cook and a maid, since she's a complete slob.

Most women I've met don't want to cook because "MUH DRADITIONAL GENDER ROLES". As if I gave a shit about that when I learned how to cook. Cooking is great, it's like playing legos, but you can eat it afterwards.

Do the women in your area burn bras in public too?

Has anyone even told them they're allowed to vote?

Does the temperance movement still have a lot of followers in your area?

Not trolling, I'm genuinely curious.

That's not my point, it's you who put that responsibility on your shoulders. Life sucks in your class, nice retirement package though.

I'm from Poland so no(though I live in Ireland now), no bra burning. I know there were incidents with retarded feminists, but most people just laugh at them. My sister is well aware of her rights, she studies sociology and political movements.

No temperance movement here my dude.

>it's you who put that responsibility on your shoulders.
I don't understand what that means or what point you are trying to make by saying that. Who is "you", is that the plural you? As in the married couple? But if we're assuming one party can work and the other can stay at home, you must mean that "the responsibility" falls on one person and not the other. How is that decided? The one with the pussy stays home? Why should that be the case? With one of the couples I know, the husband spends more time at home because the wife's job has a lot more travel obligations.

You seem to be taking a lot for granted in terms of what "people" think and do. I'm trying to explain to you that your idea of normal might not be normal for other people.

Ah, Catholic countries. I would imagine things are considerably less progressive - isn't Ireland where they arrested a bunch of people on a ship for providing birth control?

Are you implying that since they no longer do all that they are no longer as dedicated to feminism? I'm genuinely curious how you could get that impression in this day and age.

Nowadays they troll the internet to bully Nasa scientists to tears over a shirt with their white knights. Wish they would go back to burning bras.

Maybe, I don't follow local events. But yeah, even though Poland is a overwhelming majority catholic country there's stilly plenty of the nonsense ideologies coming from the west in cities amongst younger generation. I've met my share of polish "feminists" that just parrot whatever they've seen on their favourite feminist youtube channel whenever occasion strikes. There's not many, but god are they annoying.

No, I'm asking you because "feminism" evolves over time and is context-dependent. In 19th century America, "feminism" was bashing booze bottles and harping at men for having a drink. In mid-20th century America it was bra burning. In 1960s Greenwich Village, it was dressing in "male" clothes and raving about how men are evil. In chauvanistic Latin countries it might be openly having sex before marriage. In 21st-century Afghanistan feminism is lifting your burqa to rub the sand out of your eyes.

You can tell a lot about a person's background by listening to their ideas of "feminism". In most modern industrialized countries, the idea that cooking is a female task and that refusing to cook is "women's lib" seems hilariously quaint. Like a line from a 1950s period film.

I can see that. Like how in the Bible Belt in America there are a lot of shrill atheists who screech autistically at the slightest reference to religion of any kind, while in the rest of America people mostly are indifferent to religion.

A person living under an oppressive society is liable to push back extra hard and this would no doubt be annoying to anyone disinterested in changing the status quo.

There is no responsibility, there is simply the possibility.

>in a society where women now have to keep jobs as well as a house.

This expectation doesn't exist on the male side of society. Regardless of the fact that we are brow beat, the "patriarchy" is still alive inside of us.

Women put the burden of full time employment in a marriage on their own and each other's shoulders.

I get your point, but one can be vehement about your beliefes and arguments without treating everyone who disagrees with you as a moral inferior. I get that women push back against "patriarchy"(also known as civilization) which goes against their evolutionary strategies for success, but spreading nonsense is not acceptable.

I've had one feminist start screaming at me that I was a religious bigot that just wants to shackle women in the kitchen when all I sad, which was in response to her denial, that european vallues and laws are directly shaped by christianity and christians. I'm an atheist too, but at least I understand the value that the biblical stories have and their influence on history, art, law, morality, and many other areas. I find it hard to stomach someone that just dismisses me as "closeminded christian" when all I do is recognize the reality of influence of religion.

Well there are certainly people who live according to that point of view, I don't dispute that. For example with the married couple I know where the wife stays home, the husband is an ambitionless husk of a man working a dead-end job and the wife is an entrepreneur. The wife makes more money with her part time business than the husband brings home from his full time job. There is no logical reason why he should be the one "working" and she should be the one with the kids most of the time, except that they're from super conservative families and are literally in an arranged marriage.

That being said, practicality overrides "the patriarchy" for most people, and generally the question of whose job is more appropriate for home vs away from home is a question of random chance, rather than a marriage decision made in advance.
I guess I've never been in that situation so I wouldn't be able to judge. I lived in a super conservative area for a few years and decided it was not for me, so I moved. I think this phenomenon is more a thing with young people still living under the same roof as their parents. Like the shrill vegans. Have you ever met a shrill vegan older than early to mid 20s? I haven't. But I knew a lot when I was a kid.

>Have you ever met a shrill vegan older than early to mid 20s?
Yeah, that's an interesting point, I guess it is kinda similar. A part of your life that you've changed(like young people do so often) and then have to inflict that chang eon everyone around them, otherwise it's not authentic I guess?

Also, patriarchy isn't some kind of magical boogie man, it's a pact between men, both alpha, beta, end alower, to publicly mate with only one woman at a time. Monogamy is pretty much equivalent to patriarchy. Human beings are not monogamous by nature, women are hypergamouse and men are polygamous. Both have to be force through culture, family, education, and law, to be monogamous, because it is the most optimal way of running human scieties we know of. It does use force, but too many young feminists think it goes one way, when it actually pushes on both sexes to conform.

>A part of your life that you've changed(like young people do so often) and then have to inflict that chang eon everyone around them, otherwise it's not authentic I guess?
I think it's more like when you aren't able to fully exert control over a part of your own life and (pick one: buy your own groceries/decide the crowd you want to associate with/not go to church on sunday/etc), you're liable to have a lot of frustration and you're going to take it out on those around you.

I live in a country where people can pretty much move wherever they please and live among moonbat hippies, crazy gun nuts, polygamists, ultra-orthodox Jewish extremists (google "Kiryas Joel"), shallow consumerists, vegans, orthorexics, fresh off the boat immigrants who don't even speak English, or whatever. And I'm lucky in the sense that my parents gave me a good education so I can earn a decent living pretty much wherever. And if I had turned out gay or decided to embrace Islam or chop my own dick off or whatever, they'd learn to accept it.

But I can imagine the frustration of being the girl in a conservative country who was married off to some schmuck on penalty of being cut off from the family. No education, no options other than running off to uncertainty or becoming a hooker in Amsterdam. That could make me pretty angry, if that was me.

Yeah, it's understandable for people to get angry at their lot in life when they have no part in chosing it.

>HEY SON DO U WHANT EGG?
>Yes I'd like a hard boiled one
>OK HERE SON IVE BOILED IT FOR A WHOLE 3 MINUTES

I have nostalgia for the character of that era. Aspic, canned stuff and jello is entirely resultant from Great Depression rationing so it's not really an accurate representation of the past - only a specific period.