Are you learning any language?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/MasterAardvark
youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4&index=1&list=PLm-zp9-u4IxB5YUOxKXUL3uSvxxeW07Eh
archive.org/details/asanskritgramma01mlgoog
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what is this image from?

Of course, who wouldn't?

animation called "Double King" on youtube. would link but lazy.

Trying to get my Spanish to a post-collegiate level. Shame that pretty much every native English/Spanish speaking country encourages a monolingual culture (save for Canada maybe)

Yeah, German

>Shame that pretty much every native English/Spanish speaking country encourages a monolingual culture (save for Canada maybe)
That is simply not true, at least in Spain

Or parts of America

I'm learning Spanish like a retard by reading through books I know by heart in Spanish. I don't think it's terribly effective but this kind of etymological beating of the head against the wall is like a series of small puzzles to be solved and I anticipate relishing these moments when I get further along so I struggle and enjoy the struggling.

or,
>/strugglingartiste/

Spanish, Italian, German, French

Mandarin

Came here to ask this kek

youtube.com/user/MasterAardvark

Felix Colgrave. A lonely madman from the distant shores of Tasmania. Poss. does a lot of mushrooms

Yeah, Russian.

Around B2,Last I checked my proficiency I was B1 but that was a couple months ago, and I've come on considerably since then

I'm doing the same with english, it's a pain in the ass to try to speak and probably my grammatic is awful

>Japanese

no bully

大丈夫、僕もオタクです

I learned Spanish fluently back in undergrad and regretted it when my interests changed from novels and poetry to philosophy and science (subjects where Spanish-speaking countries have contributed virtually nothing).

I'm considering learning French or German. How easy are these languages for someone who is fluent in both Spanish and English? I'm not really interested in learning to speak either of them, I would just like to read.

I'm learning the language of your mom's sloppy puss

youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4&index=1&list=PLm-zp9-u4IxB5YUOxKXUL3uSvxxeW07Eh

French would be pretty easy, not sure about German. German would be like starting fresh while French is similar to both Spanish and English.

German philosophy is much better than French though...

Trying to learn Polish. Always wanted to learn Arabic.

German and Dutch
>tfw I will never be fluent enough to read German literature because German authors love using long-ass words that nobody uses

Continuing with Sanskrit.

ゆっくりしてね。

Working on German for philosophy. I've been doing some easy stuff on my own, but I'm going to school for German come Fall.

definitely does a lot of psychedelics haha, he's one of my favorite animators. Double king was just so good

nah

French and Latin

True, but in the enlightenment period most intellectuals knew French very well. Especially Russians. It's nice reading Dostoyevsky or Nietzsche and not having to skip the French phrases. It really adds a lot! Now if only I knew Latin like all the most prestigious men of the 19th century I could read Jung without any issue.

oui, j'apprendre francais

Why would you learn Dutch?

What books have you been reading that helps you improve your German?

English

Omdat het zo gemakkelijk is.

Since I'm a native English speaker, and 'm fairly good at German, Dutch seemed like it'd be a breeze, and it is.

*j'apprends

Damn, you're the first person I've heard saying Dutch is easy. If it's a breeze for you than sure, but I wouldn't know what benefits anyone could reap from it.

Once again at English classes for get the CAE. Wanting to return to German (B1.2) next semester and have some private classes of Russian for the next WC.
>to philosophy and science (subjects where Spanish-speaking countries have contributed virtually nothing).
The contribution to Science was very low, but you cannot say that with philosophy (see Salamanca School, Ortega y Gasset, Julián Marias, Xavier Zurbiri, etc. It gets better if you like theology.

Javascript

I've actually gotten to use it a few times, suprisingly. Dutch was a prtty common language for merchants and explorers a while back.

Wew, me too

I'm basically always learning English

Swedish
I'm trying to learn more about the dialects of english, too. Been learning about scots, I think it's absolutely fascinating the scandinavian influence it's had

Russian at uni.

Why Swedish?

I wanted to learn norwegian but swedish is what they have at my university. I love the scandinavian languages and culture (also that learning a language is compulsory here). I suppose one particular thing that drew me was black metal.

> it's a pain in the ass to try to speak and probably my grammatic is awful

> it's a pain in the ass to try to speak and my grammar is probably awful

Are you a complete beginner or have you been studying it for a while?

Almost done with my second term learning it

What is your native language, and how hard is it, learning Swedish?

Native language is English. It's relatively easy, I suppose. Word order and expressions are the kicker. Many of the most important words in English have direct cognates in Swedish so that helps a lot.

Japanese and Attic Greek

Are you taking courses or learning it by rote?

kind of trying to learn Scots Gaelic...its going slowly

Linguist and overall language-learning nerd here. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Are you literally me, user?

Underrated

Malay and French

Dutch is really easy for English speakers, user. In fact it's the most closely related language to English (other than Flemish).

Except for Frisian

What is your opinion on esperanto?

ich lerne deutsch, aber ich weiss nicht viel

I do 5 hours of class per week. Sometimes the slow pace wears me down, but on the other hand I know I wouldn't stick with it if left on my own. B1-B2 level for now.

Oh yeah you're right, I meant to say Frisian instead of Flemish

Worthwhile as long as you're learning it for the right reasons. It'll never enjoy worldwide use due to lack of momentum and the fact that it's too eurocentric, but it can be fun and a great way to learn about certain linguistic concepts like case and morphology.

That being said, I don't agree with the commonly stated "learning Esperanto and then a Romance language is faster than just learning the Romance language" thing.

I studied swedish for awhile and haven't gone hard at it for like a year but I retained a lot and can basically make out most Norwegian and Danish writing as a result so that's pretty cool.

I haven't studied it but I know a lot of spanish just from being in close proximity to speakers and consuming a lot of spanish media, most of my spanish skills are in the preconscious, I probably couldn't hold a conversation, but if I can usually make out what is written in spanish if I see it.

Deutsch ist sehr schwer, aber wenn man die Grammatik kennt, dann wird alles leichter.

I'm learning french, but i'd like to improve my english and even though spanish is my native language I'd like to improve my grammar in it too.

French and English, well I don't put much effort in to them but I finished the duolingo trees, that is something.

Vietnamese because I'm living in Vietnam

>studied swedish
why?

Mexican trilingüal here.

This is my devanagari script; i've been copying from chapter three or four of the Bhagavad-gītā. (I just have an abridged and anotated, with the meanings and transliterations to spanish.

But, fuck sanskrit. I can't get past the liberal word order, spacing, the fact that the end of a word and the beggining of another is a word in itself. And so on. I think i'll go for german or russian. How about you?

Sanskritist here. Pretty nice handwriting, I personally use the lines of the page to align the tops of the letters.

Have you read Müller's grammar? Yeah, Sanskrit is hard as fuck, but I'm sticking with it.

How long does it generally take to learn Japanese well enough to read Mishima?

He's actually currently in melbourne

Thanks. Yes, i also used to align the letters with the top line, but i stopped because it made the vertical traces a bit tricky.

I'll look for the book, thanks.

It's here
archive.org/details/asanskritgramma01mlgoog

It's very comprehensive, and pretty much the definitive grammar. Good luck, friend.

How do I go about learning German? I'm somewhere between A1 and A2 and want to take a B1 Goethe certificate this summer, is that attainable? How should I go about doing that?

Portuguese. I have to care for my grandfather while my dad is at work and he cannot speak English too well.

started german a couple of months ago

just been to germany for a few days, seems the best way to get by in conversation is it look interested and say 'genau' with conviction every 15 seconds, possibly punctuated by occasional 'ein bisschen'ing.

It started out as a game, you know. Now i just can't stop; it's the only thing i get off on. And being a polyglot teacher could make me some money

At least one year but probably more depending on how motivated you are.
Learning to read kanji is a waste of time unless you actually have a reason to do so.

Me too. I know I'll never be really good at Sanskrit, it's just too damn hard, but yet I still try.

Masochism really.

>seems the best way to get by in conversation is it look interested and say 'genau' with conviction every 15 seconds, possibly punctuated by occasional 'ein bisschen'ing.

kek, you awkward fuck

Can someone tell me if duolingo is any good?

I'm a semi-NEET who has been learning French for a month. I wasted five years of "learning" french at school - recently I started by spending a few days taking notes on all the grammar, and since then have been learning vocab with Anki. Most of the grammar honestly I have picked up using sample sentences rather than the notes on grammar I took, though they did teach me the patterns for conjugations and so on.

The /int/ french guide mentioned duolingo, and I went to have a look at it and couldn't be bothered to progress to far because it soon needed me to have a mic, but even from what little I saw, the general program seemed shit. Can someone confirm that I'll be just fine without it so I don't have to worry? Thanks.

I admire language 'aesthetes', I still need there to be a kernel of practicality to everything I learn. I'd never pick up Latin, for example. Kanji has practical applications of course but none that i'm interested in.
"I'll become a language teacher" like
doesn't quite cut it for me either.

I kind of think that Duolingo has value inverse to the difficulty of the language. You shouldn't use it alone, but one decent French lesson in a class setting should rocket you well beyond your current Duolingo level which makes it seem pointless. It has better value for languages with comparatively niggly shit like Russian or English where constant reinforcement of the basics is useful even for advanced learners.
In conclusion,
>maybe

[By the way I cannot recommend enough that everyone ITT who is hemming and hawwing over physically going outside and joining a course with a group of fellow beginners with ideally a native speaking teacher to get over their robot shit and just do it, they are flexible and can give and take far more fluidly than I think any program will ever do. Whatever reasons you have for not doing so are invalid, or at least invalid until you test them yourself.]

One year? That doesn't sound so bad, I expected an answer of 5 to 10 years. Don't know how much rare words or kanji are in Mishima's writings though.
>Learning to read kanji is a waste of time unless you actually have a reason to do so.
Does reading japanese count? Literature and also I'd love to own some manga in paper, but it wasn't published in english, let alone my first language

I'm in Spanish III in highschool and lately have been trying extra study outside of class, but understanding grammar rules is a huge weakness of mine. I can't imagine becoming fluent and thinking in Spanish. It feels like my brain refuses to do it.

Don't worey user. It's a marathon, not a race. You will get there eventually so don't get discouraged.
To become "fluent" means to invest a crazy amount of hours, but once you've grinded through most of the grammar and you are able to understand words and texts through context, you will be able to progress while having fun

>[By the way I cannot recommend enough that everyone ITT who is hemming and hawwing over physically going outside and joining a course with a group of fellow beginners with ideally a native speaking teacher to get over their robot shit and just do it, they are flexible and can give and take far more fluidly than I think any program will ever do. Whatever reasons you have for not doing so are invalid, or at least invalid until you test them yourself.]

What if I live in a very rural area and taking an actual physical course simply is not an option?

Canuck? I don't remember any of the French from school as well.

> I still need there to be a kernel of practicality to everything I learn
I used to think like that too, but then I realised that life, and anything we do in it, is essentially meaningless; and so now I do whatever pleases me.

you're lucky you got that far. i've lived in Germany for the past year and the people are way too autistic to endure anything resembling a conversation

Maybe that's you projecting, I've had great conversations with German people.

No, UK, we are taught either french german or spanish from 11 to 16

>kennt
*weiß

Not him, but aren't they both fine? In Dutch you could use both (of their counterparts) in that sentence. Does English have a distinction between the two anyway?

What makes learning kanji such a waste of time?

Yes, Hebrew. Mute letters are annoying, as is the niqqud.

How are you handling it?

Why did you start learning sanskrit?