Does Veeky Forums enjoy John Steinbeck or is he too basic for all of the patricians here?

Does Veeky Forums enjoy John Steinbeck or is he too basic for all of the patricians here?

I like The Pearl, Of Mice and Men and Travels With Charley. My dad really likes Winter of Our Discontent.
It's pretty easy to call him basic, but he's still a comfy read.

My favourite writer desu

Of Mice and Men was good ... been meaning to read East of Eden and re-read Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden are beautiful masterpieces, some of the greatest in American literature.

>tfw no cathy gf to murder you
;_;

Trivia of the day: Obama's favourite Steinbeck is In Dubious Battle.

well, he's wrong about a lot of things.

keynesians know nothing about art

Picking up reading Grapes of Wrath in the next week, finished reading Of Mice and Men last month. I like time period they're set in and seeing the history in it. His characterization is pretty neat too.

I've read most of Steinbecks work and that's easily his second worst book. the only worse one is the moon is down

how did he win the nobel?

I enjoyed of Mice and Men. What should I read next

Cannery Row

The Great Mouse Detective

Some people dislike him because he is too accessible. You can't jack off over how challenging his writing is because it's very readable. Also some of his writing is legitimately not good. The Moon is Down is terrible, In Dubious Battle is not great.

But he also wrote legitimately great stuff. East of Eden, The Pearl, The Grapes of Wrath, Winter of Our Discontent, they are all very well written and worth reading.

I think Dos Passos' USA trilogy basically espouses the same politics and is way, way better than anything Steinbeck wrote, but Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden are great.

East of Eden might be my favourite book. I really enjoy his work.

I enjoyed The Grapes of Wrath, but not for the reasons Steinbeck intended. Those Okies were so stupid, I was rooting firmly for The Man by the end of the novel ...

East of Eden is his masterpiece. Grapes is too preachy and collectivist

I enjoyed Of Mice and Men but it was pretty simple, I assume his other works tackle deeper subjects more intricately?
I also found the flavor of his work to be pretty limited in regards to portraying the time period and setting.

Non-USA non-anglo here. Didn't have to eat this in HS.

I like Steinbeck. I liked Of Mice and Men, a lot. I liked The Grapes of Wrath, the film, by John Ford, a lot. I like "The Ghost of Tom Joad", the Springsteen cover by the Smashing Pumpkins.

>Wherever you find someone struggling to be free, you'll see me.

>by the Smashing Pumpkins
by *Rage against the Machine

fuck I'm tired