LETTERS: A Novel, by John Barth (AKA The most difficult book ever written)

Has anyone here read pic related? For those who haven't (, at the expense of those who have) it's a series of correspondence over a year-long period centered during a particularly revolutionary time in the United State's history between the author and characters from his preceding 7 novels.

It is far and away the most challenging book I've ever read. In terms of difficulty it easily eclipses 'Gravity's Rainbow', 'Ada', 'Infinite Jest', 'The Recognitions', and lots of other """Hard""" books I've read.

What did those of you who've read it think about it? It's taking me a while to read it cause I need to be paying so close attention. I find the A.B.C.5 chapters particularly challenging. Where does this rank among Barth's other books? Did you think it was worth the cognitive and temporal investment?

What makes it so hard?

Im reading the books leading up to it. Should be done in a year or two senpaitachi.

Probably the fact he hasnt read the 7 previous books

if it was a well written book then it might be worth reading.

Why isnt it?

Each "chapter" is comprised of Letter(s) from each character, always presented in the same order. Sometimes you'll read a letter that is in response to a letter that you have yet to read.

A major theme of the book is revolution/insurrection, and there are a lot of intertwining plots featuring double and triple agents. Combined with the fact that many of the characters are from families where everyone recycles the same three names and the amount of impostors and disguises donned it is challenging to keep track of what is actually happening, or even who is actually being talked to/referred to.

Finally just the volume of historical and political allusions is intimidating. And in case I'm painting a poor picture of the book, I just want to tack on some praise of it's virtues: Barth's command of language is up there on the podium of best I've ever seen. It's tremendously funny and in general just fun.

Nah, I have. A few of them are firmly in my lifetime favourites; specifically 'The Sot-Weed Factor', 'Lost in the Funhouse', and 'The End of the Road.

Which ones have you read thus far, user?

The only reason that I am putting in the effort is cause I deem it to be magnificently written. Why do you feel dis-similarly?

This sounds insane. I've had The Sot-Weed Factor and Giles Goat-Boy sitting on my shelf untouched since Christmas.
This is just the motivation I need to pick up Barth's novels. Thanks for sharing!

what? this isn't difficult at all. This is just another self-indulgent pomobook. The prose is very easy to follow, the only difficult part is being able to read 5 barth books beforehand without dying of boredom.

I don't know man, barth is hard but Women and Men is an actual shit show from beginning to glorious end

>isn't difficult at all
Did you read any of the ABC5 chapters?

>The prose is very easy to follow
I never said the difficulty stemmed from the prose, it's difficult because the plot is immoderately circuitous and convoluted, especially the "politics" at Marshyhope University

Almost finished reading Women and Men now, and it's probably the hardest novel I've ever read. It's perhaps the most beautiful, too, though.

>it's difficult because the plot
>plot
opinion discarded, no "plot" is in itself difficult

... This is one of the most bizarre claims I've ever seen on this board. Of course plot can contribute to difficulty. Have you actually read the book? Or have you read the other 10 posts in the thread, I touch on other difficult attributes of the book as well.

Everyone is disguised as one another, have the same names, and are often double or triple agents, etc. You give the overwhelming impression of a (unjustifiably) smug asshole.

You're arguing with an austist senpai leave it

I am a smug asshole user, and no I haven't read this obscure pomo book.True difficulty comes from the way the prose is shown.Plot is mostly just a trope.A way for the writer to communicate his ideas with you.So, if you ONLY have difficulty in understanding the plot, the whole experience can't be THAT uncomfortable.
>You give the overwhelming impression
no
It is just because my previous post hurt your feelings.I don't think my posting style gives off "smugness".

>call someone an autist just cause he doesn't agree with your view on the subject
So I guess I am a smug autist asshole.Woe is me.

come back when you read fw

the other user is right this is just another self indulgent mass of pomo masturbation. it's not difficult it's just tedious. it's simple if you read some other pomo stuff and are acclimated to the cliches and tired tricks that Barth abuses like everyone else working in this silly genre.

yes I have read it.

thank you for unintentionally helping me with this, I got called an autist and an asshole for stating the obvious.
And OP do really read Finnegan's Wake and then try to be all pompous like, will you?

>I am a smug asshole
>I don't think my posting style gives off "smugness"

And if that's your position you're just objectively wrong, prose is not the only obstacle to be surmounted when talking about difficult literature.

Same fag
>implying that tediousness can't lead to difficulty

no i actually read the book and it's just another middling pomo experiment gone too far

barth has good works; this was not one of them

I'm calling your bluff. I don't believe you've read it. Answer these two questions that are very easy if you've read even the first chapter:

Which of the two main characters are sleeping together?
Which character's letters are riddled with all the bizarre typography and rhebus puzzles?

Okay, then take up this challenge Prove me wrong

ambrose and the girl whose name i dont remember
the author

1/2. I'll give it to you.
Ambrose and Lady Amherst
Ambrose